Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Daily use knife

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Daily use knife

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:35 am

This is the little knife I pack daily. Made by Pine Ridge Knives in Utah. It's just real handy and easy to get at on a belt or my chaps belt. I was at a branding this spring and someone's horse got hung up in a rope tied to a rail....one swipe with this little jewel and the rope was toast. Time for a new lead rope, but better than a wreck.

http://www.pineridgeknife.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Daily use knife

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:51 am

Very cool picture of your "working" knife, RR. Thanks for sharing it.

I glanced at the Pine Ridge web site, and noticed your knife blade is made out of 1095 high carbon steel. In some of my readings about knife steels I've found that 1095 steel holds a great edge and is very easy to sharpen. But the properties of this type of steel give it a tendency to easily rust. And especially so whenever it gets wet, e.g. skinning a harvest, or when preparing meats, veggies, etc. Although I've seen some knives I'd like to get, I've mostly avoided those with the 1095 high carbon steel. Do you find that characteristic of easy rust with your knife? How do you maintain your blade?

BTW, that is a sharp-looking leather sheath, too. Nice total package! :D
0 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 am

That looks like a really nice knife, RR. Image

I always have this with me. It's small, but I have found it to be incredibly useful for lots of different things. Perhaps it's true what they say .... size doesn't matter. ;) :D
P1010764.JPG
P1010765.JPG
P1010766.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:32 pm

IMG_0468.JPG
RR, I like that tool. I know what it means to have a trusted blade quickly available. I don't spend nearly as much time in the rough as you do. So, this is my carry blade. And, like you, I find use for it regularly. It is a Kershaw Leek knife. It is the third one I have carried for many years, and I use it almost daily. High quality steel and holds a good edge. Where would we be without these great tools?
3 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 pm

RR, if you don't mind this aside chat with Les......

Very interesting multi-tool, Les....a Wilkinson Sword. I've not heard of that manufacturer before.

Coincidentally, I've been looking at a similar, small multi-tool that is designed to be easily carried on a keychain. Still am researching it, but so far what I've seen looks good. It might be my next blade acquisition. It is a Leatherman Micra multi-tool, described as a "compact" multi-tool having 10 components. The OAL is only 2.5" and the 420HC steel blade is 1.6" in length. What mostly caught my eye in this multi-tool is that it has, when opened, a spring-action scissors rather than pliers. I think it would be easier to cut using handles versus the "thumb action" on most SAKs or multi-tools. The Victorinox Spirit multi-tool I have (see my "Silver on Black" post at http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3114) has excellent pliers, and I've found good use for them. These LM scissors look like a really good component.

I appreciated your comment that your Sword "is small, incredibly useful, and that size doesn't matter." That smaller size lends itself to ease for an EDC. OK, below is a photo of the LM Micra from a knife internet shop. If I do get one of these, I'll probably post and review it more thoroughly in our knives forum.

Thanks for sharing about your Sword, Les. Sharp-looking multi-tool! ;)
leatherman-micra-black-aluminum-multi-tool.jpg
Les wrote:That looks like a really nice knife, RR. Image

I always have this with me. It's small, but I have found it to be incredibly useful for lots of different things. Perhaps it's true what they say .... size doesn't matter. ;) :D
1 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Leatherman tools have a great reputation for quality, so I'm sure that any one of their range will be a winner. Plus, it's an American company, so you know the quality will be good. ;)

Wilkinson Sword started production in 1722 making - yep you guessed it - guns and swords! :D They now produce everything from razor blades to garden tools. They moved their production from the UK to Germany sometime in the early 2000's.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... d-history/
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:43 pm

I've had mine about 5 years or so, and pack it everywhere. Horseback I usually carry a larger bowie too, but keep the small one on me as well. Can't have too many knives... :)
I just wipe it off well after use, and it seems to stand up well. I'm not gutting animals with it or chopping lettuce, it just cuts leather and rope mostly during repairs and such.
4 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:54 pm

PT7 wrote:Very cool picture of your "working" knife, RR. Thanks for sharing it.

I glanced at the Pine Ridge web site, and noticed your knife blade is made out of 1095 high carbon steel. In some of my readings about knife steels I've found that 1095 steel holds a great edge and is very easy to sharpen. But the properties of this type of steel give it a tendency to easily rust. And especially so whenever it gets wet, e.g. skinning a harvest, or when preparing meats, veggies, etc. Although I've seen some knives I'd like to get, I've mostly avoided those with the 1095 high carbon steel. Do you find that characteristic of easy rust with your knife? How do you maintain your blade?

BTW, that is a sharp-looking leather sheath, too. Nice total package! :D
If you want bright shiny steel 1095 high carbon is not for you. It will get a patina with use (or one is put on) and a wipe with a damp cloth and air dry then maintain with and oiling at every sharpning.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm

It sure holds an edge.
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:01 pm

I really like the looks of your knife and holster .... way back when I was a teenager just starting hunting I carried a fixed blade knife .... when I graduated from high school in '65 I bought myself a graduation present, a Buck 110 Folding Hunter .... haven't carried a fixed blade since ....
0 x