Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Silver on Black -- Victorinox Spirit multi-tool

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Silver on Black -- Victorinox Spirit multi-tool

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:29 pm

In mid-June I bought a Victorinox multi-tool called the "Swiss Tool Spirit." I never posted it on the Forum because at that time I was extremely busy still caring for my wife. Over the last 1-1/2 months, I almost forgot I had this new tool. I remembered tonight as I need to replace a dresser lamp base that has a bad on/off switch, and will be doing some wire work for that mini project.

I looked at the Victorinox choices, as well as Leatherman and Gerber multi-tools. All look pretty nice. But since I have a number of Victorinox knives and really like the quality of their workmanship and the stainless steel used, I went for it. I wasn't disappointed in the Spirit.

All the implements listed here are stainless steel and very durable. The closed OAL length is 4.1"; the width is 1.4"; and it is very easy to carry on the belt in the leather pouch. For all the tools it has, it isn't a heavy puppy at all, weighing only 7.3 oz. SAK says its primary purpose is for EDC.

What I like is that there are individual springs, which hold other tools in place. This lets me easily use one tool at a time. What I thought was a cool feature (over some of the other brands) is that all tools can be opened from the outside of the handle without opening the pliers. That is a plus, and also provides a solid handle for whatever tool I've pulled out. It's my first multi-tool, although most SAK knives are a form of multi-tool, and as I'm learning how to use it, I've found I like it quite a lot.

Almost hard to believe how many tools are in this Spirit. Here is the list from the instruction booklet:

needlenose pliers 
screwdriver 2mm 
screwdriver 3mm 
wire cutter for thin and soft wire up to 40 HRc 
cap lifter 
practical Spirit combi edge blade 
screwdriver 6 mm 
crate opener 
combi-edge blade
scissors 
metal file 
metal saw 
wood saw 
reamer and punch
Phillips screwdriver 1+2
chisel/scraper 
wire bender 
wire stripper 
can opener 
wire scraper 
multi purpose hook 
leather pouch 
coupling for corkscrew 
hard wire cutter 
lock release 
10 individual springs
leather pouch 

Anything missing?!? ;) Okay, the next model up is the "Spirit Plus," which holds 10 more tools. These include tools to work on knife handles, a couple of Torx bits. The engineer that puts these multi-tools together is pretty "sharp!"

Following are some pictures. 'Twas a little hard to photograph as everything reflects (especially a flash) off the steel.
I love the silver-on-black look, so that's what you see here. Enjoy.

Victorinox multi-tool ~~~ the "Swiss Tool Spirit."
Spirit4.jpg
Spirit3.jpg
Spirit1.jpg
Spirit2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Re: Silver on Black -- Victorinox Spirit multi-tool

Post by Les » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:35 am

That looks like a really useful tool, and the fact that it's a Victorinox means that it's built to last. Image
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 am

You have a great multi tool there. I agree on each tool opening without opening the whole too. You will also come to appreciate that each locks. Having one of those tools slip while using it can be dangerous. That is a great looking version with a very nice sheath.

I purchased two original Swiss tools on clearance at a Sam's club many years ago. One for me and one for my son. They were marked at under $30.00. When we got out to the car, I immediately opened one, saw the quality tool it was and went back in and got another one. They both still work as good as day one.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Estacado
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Estacado » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 am

Thank you for the review. Now stop it. I am a sucker for sharp shiny things. I've got to go look this up now.
1 x
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans"------------General Robert E. Lee

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 am

Sorry, Estacado....understood. I'll try to behave. ;)

And I face one additional problem whenever I look at possible new blades to add to my small collection. They are more easily affordable than those outstanding Henry rifles, which are not yet in my gun cabinet! :lol: That makes it tough.
Estacado wrote:Thank you for the review. Now stop it. I am a sucker for sharp shiny things. I've got to go look this up now.
1 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:24 am

Very nice!

Cate
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:47 am

As I mentioned in my first post, I needed to replace a dresser lamp base that had a bad on/off switch, and had to do some wire work for this mini project. I did that yesterday afternoon.

I didn't have to go to my toolbox. :D
Picked up the Spirit, and everything was there I needed: screwdriver (both for the base screws and the flat edge to open up the hinged lid on old base in order to disconnect wires), wire cutter (in the pliers), and wire stripper. Using the Spirit, both opened and closed, was a pleasure and easy. The tool locks were also great....kept everything solidly in place.

The project was simple, I know. But the Spirit made it a breeze to do!
I'm sticking with all my SAK knives and tools....quality stuff. Easy to recommend to anyone who needs good EDC tools.
0 x

~Пока~