Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Copper Culture Pattern Knife

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Copper Culture Pattern Knife

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:50 pm

A few years ago, a friend of mine showed me an artifact he'd found up here in the Northwoods - a Copper Knife. It was in remarkably good shape for something so old; I think you could have put a handle on it, sharpened it a bit, and used it. I always had in the back of my mind that it would be interesting to make a copy of it in modern materials, and use it. Fast forward to present: a young man about the age of my son has started a part time business forging knives, so we went to see him, with the old copper blade, and he's on it. The new version of the old knife should be ready soon. Now I'll have to figure out an atlatl to use with it ;) .
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Copper Culture Pattern Knife

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Sounds like a cool project. Will you make your own atlatl when you get back "the new version of the old knife?" What will be the OAL of the knife portion? Do you plan to hunt with it, or compete?

It would be cool to see you throwing one. Do you think you could capture some photos when you get it all together and show us how you do it? That would sure be a novel Range Report for everyone! ;)

Yornoc3 wrote:A few years ago, a friend of mine showed me an artifact he'd found up here in the Northwoods - a Copper Knife. It was in remarkably good shape for something so old; I think you could have put a handle on it, sharpened it a bit, and used it. I always had in the back of my mind that it would be interesting to make a copy of it in modern materials, and use it. Fast forward to present: a young man about the age of my son has started a part time business forging knives, so we went to see him, with the old copper blade, and he's on it. The new version of the old knife should be ready soon. Now I'll have to figure out an atlatl to use with it ;) .
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 am

It will be interesting to see both.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:24 am

PT7 wrote:Fast forward to present: a young man about the age of my son has started a part time business forging knives, so we went to see him, with the old copper blade, and he's on it. The new version of the old knife should be ready soon.
looking forward to your continued reports .... Forged In Fire has become one of my favorite TV programs .... to me watching them take a hunk of metal and turn it into a working blade is fascinating
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:12 pm

The atlatl part was tongue in cheek, though I know there's a guy in Wisconsin who's really good with it. There was even a Conservation Congress question about possibly legalizing the atlatl for Archery hunting a while ago, but it failed to pass. It's likely that the atlatl was still the primary hunting weapon of the Copper Culture people who made the knives, the bow and arrow didn't appear until around the end of the Copper Culture period.

I talked with my knifemaker yesterday, he was called away on his real job as an insurance adjuster, due to the recent severe storms in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, so there's going to be a delay in finishing the knives. He's going to add a minimal hilt made of Copper, just so there'll be a little copper included. The blade will be about 3" in length, and quite thin, as the original is. It's about what we'd call a "bird and Trout" pattern. The handle will be antler, best guess as to what the original could have been. Deer leg bone would have been possible, too, but I like stag handles ;) .
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 am

Pics? I love beautiful knives
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 pm

I'll give 'em a go when I get the knife, I also have pictures of the original it's based on. Should be soon.
0 x