Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An Old Bayonet

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

An Old Bayonet

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am

This came to me as a gift, a friend found it in a yard sale for $13 and picked it up for me as he knew I liked things like this and collected knives, swords and the like. I had done a lot for the old man, and he wanted to do something nice for me. Totally unexpected, and I appreciated it. When I was checking out the find, I found the date 1861 engraved on the blade and told my friend it might be worth something.
"It's yours," he said. "It cost me $13, enjoy it."
I hung it on the wall below my Marine NCO sword and a reproduction Calvary Sabre and enjoyed it. A couple years later, I posted a pic on a sword collectors website just to find out a little history, since I couldn't find it searching on the web. Boy did I get a huge shock! :o One of the Civil War collectors congratulated me and sent me an ad from an antique sale in progress.

My $13 Bayonet from a yardsale?

This rare Federal accoutrement is an original Spencer saber (aka sword) bayonet for the Spencer Navy Rifle in excellent original condition. Produced by the Collins & Company of Collinsville, Connecticut under navy contract, this rare specimen is one of just 750 saber bayonets made. It is just over 20¾” long, ¾” wide, 1 1/16” wide at hilt and weighs 25 ounces. Cast brass handle is 5” long and bears serial number #461 on the top flat of handle. Obverse ricasso shows the date stamped “1861” while the reverse ricasso has “Collins & Co / Hartford, Conn.” Iron release push pin intact. All brass has a mellow bronze patina overall. Blade has a single unstopped fuller, no narrow fuller and is 20 1/8” long. Seven hundred and three Spencer Navy rifles were delivered in fulfillment of the first naval contract. Each box of ten rifles contained ten bayonets. All of the Spencer saber bayonets were made in 1862 but they were stamped with the contract year of “1861”. Blade has normal light oxidation overall with no pitting. No edge nicks. Original saber bayonets for the rare Spencer Navy Rifles are very much sought after and most difficult to find in the collecting community today. This remarkable specimen, in fine condition, would make an outstanding addition to any US military edged weapon display or accouterment collection. –

See more at: http://www.horsesoldier.com/products/ed ... WPBva.dpuf

My Bayonet has Serial Number 99,

The one above sold for $1,150 and was serial numbered 401
Spencer Naval Carbine Bayonet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: An Old Bayonet

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:17 am

I still have this bayonet and it's not going anywhere. The old friend who gave it to me passed before I could tell him what he had picked up in the yard sale for $13. I know he would have been pleased. He wanted so much to repay my kindness, but it wasn't necessary. You don't do things for folks to seek something in return... :oops: But he had no idea before he passed what a kindness he had returned. I have been told these bayonets were used on the Spenser Rifles used by the Marines... in the Civil War. Ooh Rah. 8-)
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 am

That reminds me of my grandfather. He had the bayonet he was issued in basic training for WWI. He was drafted and spent a couple weeks in basic. The flu epidemic broke out and they sent every one home. He was able to keep his bayonet. He used it all the time for everything from yard work to lord knows what else.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Very cool. Thks.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:33 pm

That's a really nice story, BM, and a very thoughtful gift from your friend. Image
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:19 pm

The old man was overweight and retired, and I met him originally through my job as a zoning inspector. "See the complainant" had been checked on the ticket. I had just taken over the area, which was way behind due to an inspector who had retired on duty and done nothing for months. Our job was to address issues that brought down property values and affected health and welfare.

I later learned the old man was considered a "frequent flyer," someone who often called in. Trouble was, his complaints were valid. I gave him the number in my car, and I would pick up diet sodas, stop by and write down his issues for the week, and listen. Then knock out the list, or at least cite the violations. Next week, repeat. Then, we started meeting for lunch once a week, going over the list... ;) Hey, it was work related, and you gotta eat... and it was also community relations. :)

This had been a regular deal for almost nine months when out of the blue his wife called me. It was just before Christmas, and she asked if she could join us for the weekly lunch, just before the holiday. I was happy to meet her and agreed. She was normally working during the day so I had never even seen her.

She was such a contrast to the old man. He was six foot three and more than three fifty. She was barely over five foot, and not much over a hundred pounds in all her winter clothing. She was all smiles. We had a great lunch and it was slowly winding down, but I suspected she had something to tell me.

When he excused himself for the john, she told me that when I took over he had been extremely depressed, suicidal. :o I never suspected. She said he had been close several times... :(

But, then I started stopping by and listening. Sitting on the porch, taking notes, and responding to his issues. (I know it was your job, but you made him part of the loop, feel needed. YOU gave him the direct number in your car.) Then... her eyes watered... the weekly lunch. He had something to look forward to every week. You have no idea what that has meant... so little for you... everything to us. ;)

I never said anything to my friend, and when they changed my zone, we still met for lunch, we just found other things to talk about. In addition, I made sure the new guy knew he was an asset rather than an annoyance. The new guy stopped by a couple times a month, to chat, share a soda, and take some notes.

Keep in mind, you never know how your small acts can have leave ripples.
6 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

That's a great story. Sometimes you never know what a difference you make in other's lives.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 am

You're a very special sort of person, BM, and you should be proud of the joy that you brought to your friend and his wife. Image

It may have been 'just a job' to most people, but to you I think it was obviously a calling. ;)
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote: Keep in mind, you never know how your small acts can have leave ripples.

Those are very true words sir. I'm very glad you are a member here.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member