Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester Toothpick

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Winchester Toothpick

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am

I took a Winchester 1866 Yellow Boy Commemorative knife to the gun show last week to sell to a dealer who didn't show up. Had some folks look at it and tried to get it for nothing. It is a nice knife made in USA with silver bolsters and smooth black handles. I have seen a few sell at $75 when you even see one for sale so I thought $50 would be fair. Maybe the 5" closed length is to big for some people to carry. I am not sure how many were made but this one is numbered 346. I have heard 500 but I don't know that for sure. I brought it back home and I think I may give it to my brother for his birthday in May. He likes toothpick knives and don't have a bigger size one like this.
6 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Winchester Toothpick

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:31 am

Good to hear it is made in the good old U.S.A.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Cool and interesting knife, Bandit. I think it's a great idea to give it to your brother as a birthday gift!

I do have a some questions as I've recently purchased a couple of these very small knives. But first, specific to your knife. Does the paperwork you have call it a "yellow boy?" I've looked at shops with some Winchester knife offerings, and the only yellow boy I've seen has yellow handles. Maybe the commemorative Winchesters had a variety of options available. Anyway, below is an example of a Winchester yellow boy toothpick I found.
winchester yellow boy toothpick.jpg
Also specific to your knife. You said the OAL closed is 5". For instance, the specs state a Case Peanut has a closed length of 2-7/8". The OAL of the larger blade is just over 2-1/4". I just got one of these.

I also just got a Buck Toothpick with an OAL closed of 3" and OAL blade length again at 2-1/4". Seems like these models are just plain 'ole smaller. Thinking about posting some pics in this knife forum of these new blades.

Finally, out of curiosity I read some BladeForum discussions on these toothpick or peanut models. Gosh, according to some of the knife knuts there (kindly said), a knife really has to match these descriptions to be included in those categories. Whatever they are labeled, that's okay with me.....I just like their really diminutive size. In fact, one of the BF fellows said these take some getting used to, but he uses a Peanut for his EDC! Interesting choice.

Bottomline, I like your knife and especially your plans for it. Just find it interesting to learn how knives are described and looked at by collectors. Always learning something new, and it's all fun stuff. Thanks for your sharp post. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Nice knives.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Great knife! That picture had me drooling.
I have one Winchester YellowBoy knife. It is a trapper model. I would hate to part with it.
2 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:14 am

Nice knives!

Cate
0 x