Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Damascus and Turquoise

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Damascus and Turquoise

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:10 pm

I had an issue with a piece of equipment I purchased recently and had to return it to a supplier, so while I was there I picked up a set of knife maker's diamond embedded files for shaping metal. Out in the shop today I used those for final shaping of the nickel silver bolsters and end caps on the knife. They were looking good but there were a couple areas where they didn't mate exactly with the knife blank and it bothered me. After about an hour of handwork with the new files they did. Of course this left some fine scratches again, and I went back at it with the dawn, warm water, and 400 grit. Another half hour or 45 minutes and it showed some promise.

Then, I decided a couple treatments of Medium Walnut Watco Oil on the wood would be a good protective start at this point, as I will be working my way up thru the grits polishing the nickel. I am happy so far and that watco made the grain pop!

31 stained.jpg

We are getting there, and I am pleased with the progress. While at the knife supply Miss T picked out a damascus kitchen knife blank and special wood scales... the next KNIFE project. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:39 am

I worked on the turquoise a bit more over the last couple days, polishing with 400 and 600. Still more to do. I'll post more pics after I get to 1,000 grit and get the knife waxed. But, here is a look at the knife blank and scales I picked up for Miss T earlier in the week.

01 knife blank and scales.jpg

This is a very nice Japanese Made damascus kitchen working knife, and ironwood scales. I spent a bit of time over the last couple days with them and got as far as the first coat of tung oil, wet in this picture. I'll wet sand it with a very fine Emory cloth when it's dried for 24 hours, then apply a second coat, repeat the process and apply a third coat.

04 new.jpg

This is the First kitchen knife I made for Miss T a number of years ago, and it's still one of her favorites. I refinished the scales a couple years ago. While I was working on the new one, I figured I'd touch up this one. The scales on this knife are curly cherry, and I just sanded them with 120/400 grit and hit them with the tung oil as well.

05 old kitchen knife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:41 am

The old gal is showing her age, and the next time out, I'll cut away these scales and add new ones. For now, these will do. Next time, maybe something really fancy. The knife still holds an edge you wouldn't believe. As I said, it's Miss T's favorite, and really, my go to for most utility jobs in the kitchen, veggies and small meat work.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:44 pm

A look at BOTH before the tung oil.. not so shiny so the grain looks better.

06 both.jpg
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:23 pm

Polished to 600, re-etched the spine and belly of the blade blank, and then waxed ....

It's Done. :D

32 it's done.jpg

It's not perfect, but turned out better than I had hoped. I learned a lot. The next inlay project should come out better, benefitting from the lessons here. I have more silver, I have copper, and I have Turquoise. We'll see.

:twisted:
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:01 pm

She’s a beauty and I love those pins.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:25 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:01 pm
She’s a beauty and I love those pins.
Thanks...

They are called Mosaic pins and I got them from Jantz Knife Supply in Davis Oklahoma. They do a booming bidness and they have a website and a catalog and are the nicest folks. I am lucky enough to live close enough to drive the hour to go there and person, stroll around the showroom and ask questions. The lady who works the front counter is not afraid to say, "You don't need that, THIS will do fine."

www.knifemaking.com

:)
2 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:47 am

That turned out very nice. Will you be making a sheath for it?
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 am

dave77 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:47 am
That turned out very nice. Will you be making a sheath for it?
Yup, the idea for the sheath is a pancake style. I've got to decide on the carving. Oak Leaves and acorns? Native Design of some sort? Nice basketweave? Once I get that set, I'll lay it out and give it some work and BOOM... sheath... I'll post it. While planning, I'll clean the shop up and get ready to switch over. The leather work benches need attention, stuff got moved to them while I put three knives together and worked on things for Miss T. :?

I'll spend the day today piddling in the shop clearing the benches and getting set up, sweeping and vacuuming, and of course sitting in the recliner with Mr. King. Just finished 11-22-63 for the third time through. Have started the Mr. Mercedes trilogy again... Don't have to like the writer's politics to like his writing... ;)
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:15 am

:D That knife is beautiful. Really like all the different colors and different textures. Well done!
1 x