Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Damascus and Turquoise

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Damascus and Turquoise

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Tomorrow I hope to get back to work on the range crossing in the morning, as well as back at the knife.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:03 pm

I got back out in the shop and started working on the knife again. :roll: Yup, I know it is hard to believe, I have been away from it for a good while. It's been killing me too, but doc's orders. That right leg started bothering me, and the pain was bad. I was afraid there was a problem in the Eifel Tower inside the leg. Didn't want that. :evil: Yes, those are titanium zip ties around the femur. :? That is a surgery I don't want to repeat.

compressed.jpg

For a couple days I couldn't put weight on it. The weather had turned really cold and it was raining for 48 hours. So, it could just be severe arthritis. I got in contact with my old friend, the doc. He was my surgeon for thirty years, now retired, and he said to stay off the leg and contact ortho. I did. I explained the issue and they got me an appointment. At the END of February. :twisted: The pain has dropped a lot, but not back to the everyday levels. But, I can work in the shop mostly sitting in the wheelchair and I keep the sessions short. ;)

I paired the bolsters, and rolled the front edges, then glued the one side on and let it cure a day... then using the carbide bit, drilled thru using the holes in the blank as a guide. The heat from drilling made the glue release. :shock: I had heard of this happening, but never had it happen to me. I cleaned it up, reglued it and let it cure. I glued the opposite side on, used the holes on the opposite side as a guide and drilled the new... heat made both sides release. :twisted: I hate nickel silver. I cleaned up both sides, got them reglued, and then slowly, slowly, slowly, got them drilled and the pinned with dog paw mosaic pins. I will remember they are VERY heat sensitive when I'm shaping the knife later. Likely had shape both ends of the knife. (sigh)

Moved to the middle and started on the cocobolo, matching the two front halves and getting them done, then gluing up the carbon fiber spacers and turquoise and then shaping them. Today I put on the first turquoise and rear panel. We are making progress, and here is where we are so far.

27 so far.jpg

Once the epoxy cures I'll drill the hole thru the panel and then glue up the opposing side. Once that's done and the hole drilled, I'll countersink the four holes and put in the corby bolts to secure them before moving on. The nickel silver end caps come next, and I'll remember the end caps need to be marked and shaped BEFORE installation, due to the epoxy being heat sensitive. Once the end caps are in place and pinned, we can start shaping and then polishing the knife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:03 pm

Good to see you are back to the project. All I can say about the leg bone is Ouch!
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:31 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:03 pm
Good to see you are back to the project. All I can say about the leg bone is Ouch!
Got back out again this afternoon and put the matching inlays on the other side. I'll try and get the corby bolts and the end caps done tomorrow morning, then I can start shaping once the epoxy sets. I love that part.

;)
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:51 am

Dang BOM that picture of your leg is down right scary. I like the knife much better. :lol: Sorry you’re having trouble with the glue releasing but it’s been interesting reading about the issue and how you overcome it. Good stuff!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:52 pm

Out in the shop a couple times today, and got the end caps started. Have to glue them in position and then drill them. Same heat issues, but I'm working thru that. I have cut the paw print pins already and once I have finished the drilling, I'll get them pinned and glued. Then I can start the final shaping and polishing. We will be well on our way to a finished knife and I can start thinking about a sheath design. :P

Here is a hint of what she'll look like, though I hadn't drilled the holes for the pins in the end cap yet.

28 getting there.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:53 pm

The curves on the belly of the knife WILL line up when I start shaping, I haven't begun that part yet. Just in case some were wondering...
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:43 pm

Got out in the shop and got the end caps done, pinned and glued. I started shaping the knife and it's looking good. There is some final shaping still to be done on the bolsters and end caps, but mostly we are looking at a couple days worth of polishing. I'll take the wood to about 800 grit, and the metal to 2000 or so.... should look pretty good when I'm done. I am happy so far.

29 taking shape.jpg

This has been a long process, but the frustration and learning process are all part of the challenge. ;) Still more to go. I'm thinking a pancake sheath.
stay tuned.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:50 am

Beautiful, can’t wait to see the finished product.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:28 am

yeah, me neither... :D
1 x