Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Damascus and Turquoise

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Damascus and Turquoise

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:29 pm

Got the cleanup done and started working on the various ideas for the sheath. I may have mentioned in other posts that the surgeries I have had over the last decade have affected my memory. :roll: (What were we talking about?) Oh yeah... I have been away from the leatherwork for a while, and ... :evil: ... it's a challenge to get back to it. I have started on the sheath and it's not easy for a couple reasons...

The knife shape is a bit of a challenge. The bolster transition is harsh. I made the scales (handle) thick because I like them that way. Thick handle, thin(Ish) blade... I'm working on it. I am getting there, but it won't be quick and easy unless I just knock out a quick plain pocket... and Miss T will tell you, I don't do things that way. :lol:

The knife deserves a better home than that.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:22 pm

Back out in the shop for a couple hours this morning, playing with laying out a sheath design, and finally cut out a basic sheath, a bit oversize to start. I'll do the carving and sew 'er up then trim away some excess before I burnish the edges. As you can see in the picture below, I have cut out the body of the sheath, the welt that goes between the two folded over edges so the sharp edge of the knife doesn't cut the stitching the first time you insert the blade, and the belt loop for the back of the sheath. Off to the side you can see the scrap of folder I used to rough out a template.

33 sheath.jpg

I thought about various things to carve into the nice leather. But ended up with just a basketweave pattern for now. If I don't like the outcome I'll toss this in a bin and give it away, and start over. I like this "quilted basketweave" and when it is stained and antiqued it looks pretty good. We'll see how it turns out. As I said, it's been a while, I might "have" to give 'er another shot. :twisted:

34 basketweave.jpg

Keep it here, I look at failure as a learning opportunity, or just plain practice. ;) Otherwise, I'd spend a lot of time frustrated. Remember, I already failed once. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:37 pm

I have worked on the new sheath for the last week, and overcoming the things I have forgotten, I am pretty happy with the way the design turned out. I went with Oak leaves and acorns... better than the quilted pattern I originally tried... which I will still finish.

35 New sheath done.jpg

I dyed the carving with several colors to help bring the details to life, antiqued them, then put a finish on the dang thing. The hand stitching was done with natural colored waxed thread to compliment the leaves and acorns. Amazingly, the knife fits very tightly.

36 The Knife Fits.jpg

I'm good with it. I'm the first to admit, the quality of the sheath nor the carving is where I was when I stopped leatherwork over a year ago. I'll hopefully get back there.... but it was fun... that's what hobbies are supposed to be... :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:01 pm

Got back out in the shop and worked on the first sheath I had started. That quilted pattern one. Took my time and got it finished. The black and burgundy color scheme looks pretty good and the edge burnish came out much better on this one. I cut the bevel with my skiving knife rather than my small beveling tool. I need to order a larger beveling tool for the thicker edges on sheathes and holsters. :roll:

I added a hole in the bottom of this sheath for a braided lace, I'll get to that after the last of the finish is applied. I still have to antique and apply the neats foot oil and wax it. But, it's looking pretty good. The hand stitching came out fine. ;)

37 quilted sheath done.jpg

I may do another in this style with a different carving pattern for the practice. I can certainly use the practice and it'll fill the time.
A final pic of both when they are completely done may appear here.
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:14 pm

Really nice work on both sheaths. Making a second knife for one of them? Or does this knife have a summer and a winter home?
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:48 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:14 pm
Really nice work on both sheaths. Making a second knife for one of them? Or does this knife have a summer and a winter home?
Just practice since I haven't done any leather work for so long after my injuries and time out of the shop. I sadly discovered that with the memory issues my leatherworking skills are a quickly fading thing. So, practice, practice. ;) Plus, I can swap back and forth as the mood strikes.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:35 am

The acorn sheath is perfect for that knife. It compliments the patterns in both the scales and the blade nicely.

Well done on both.
0 x