Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

ESEE knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: ESEE knives

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am

I've been reading up some on the 1095 steel. Also have looked over a TJK fixed-blade knife made in this steel. There was an "echo" comment to what you said about rust on that web page :
One thing to be aware of: the 1095 steel performs wonderfully, but it can rust if you’re not careful…the blade needs to be kept oiled, or watched carefully, as with any carbon steel blade.

My question is this. Is the primary watchfulness needed after use, say after meat or veggies prep? Or does it rust, as you said, "just looking at it?" By that I mean whenever the blade is not in use, stored in a drawer or knife case?

BTW, I'm learning a little more from researching this TJK knife. It has a chisel edge. This has been interesting stuff to read about so far.
Thanks for any help on this 1095 steel.
PMC wrote:The only three ESEE knives I own. Can't think of a job needing a knife that one of these could not handle. I've only used the smaller 3 for some kitchen duty. The 6 has seen the most over the last six years I have owned it. The 1095 steel is very easy to keep sharp. Keep them oiled cause 1095 likes to rust just looking at it.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
0 x

~Пока~

PMC
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PMC » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Hey PT7,
The ESEE 1095 is coated for protection. I stripped the coating off my ESEE 6 but used cold blue on it. If you did veg or meat prep and do not clean and wipe the uncoated edge clean as well as the lasered lettering, then you would most likely get some rusting with it sitting in the sheath.

I keep either a light coating of CLP or silicone from a cloth on my 1095 blades. If moisture is left inside the sheath that could cause an issue. As long as you keep em clean and oiled you are ok. Just wash them good before food prep. I use them but before they go in the safe I oil them with just the slightest coating.

I really love 1095 steel for knives. If you use em enough you will keep the rust knocked off :D
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Those are real nice. I like the one in the top left!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks, PMC!
I'm looking at two ESEE models and the TJK fixed-blade I mentioned -- all made with 1095 steel. I didn't know the ESEE is coated...that's cool. I'll have to check that out. And thanks for your tips on oiling them, plus how to get ready to use for veg or meat prep. I prep both, as I often am at the cutting board! That's my favorite kitchen duty. :)
PMC wrote:Hey PT7,
The ESEE 1095 is coated for protection. I stripped the coating off my ESEE 6 but used cold blue on it. If you did veg or meat prep and do not clean and wipe the uncoated edge clean as well as the lasered lettering, then you would most likely get some rusting with it sitting in the sheath.

I keep either a light coating of CLP or silicone from a cloth on my 1095 blades. If moisture is left inside the sheath that could cause an issue. As long as you keep em clean and oiled you are ok. Just wash them good before food prep. I use them but before they go in the safe I oil them with just the slightest coating.

I really love 1095 steel for knives. If you use em enough you will keep the rust knocked off :D
1 x

~Пока~

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Nice looking knives, thanks!
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001