Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sharpening the blades

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Sharpening the blades

Post by dave77 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:07 pm

I've always used stones and then a ceramic rod and then a diamond plate but I got a WorkSharp a couple of years ago and it's so quick and easy that I mostly use it now.

I do have a nice set of kitchen knifes and if I use the steel rod that came with them before they get dull they only need a few strokes to maintain a good sharp edge.

I talked to a CS rep at Benchmade and she told me there is no limit or charge to send your Benchmade knife to them to put a factory edge back on it, you pay shipping to them, they will pay the shipping back to you. If you ever need a blade replaced it's a flat $30.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I've now sharpened a bunch of knives of every size short of a large Bowie Knife that have been made of several different types of steel .... bottom line, the Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Bench Stone (link above) is without any doubt the best set of sharpening stones that I've ever used .... I think I may have found what I'll put under the tree at Christmas for our boys .. :D
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am

It sounds like you have a winner. I'm glad it works well for you.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 pm

JEBar wrote:I've now sharpened a bunch of knives of every size short of a large Bowie Knife that have been made of several different types of steel .... bottom line, the Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Bench Stone (link above) is without any doubt the best set of sharpening stones that I've ever used .... I think I may have found what I'll put under the tree at Christmas for our boys .. :D

yep, after considerable use of the one mentioned above, I've decided to give a Smith's 50008 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone to each of our sons for Christmas .... knowing them, they will enjoy and appreciate them .... the only thing else that I know might be needed is a barger's leather strap to finish the blade
0 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 am

I do my honing on a 4" wide Porter Cable belt sander with 120 grit 3M belts and then I buff the edge on a high speed 20" cotton buff with white buffing compound. I prefer a 40 degree cantle on flat ground sport knives.
0 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 am

JEBar wrote:when we packed for out winter trip to Texas, I forgot to pack my knife sharpening gear .... needing to sharpen some of Maureen's kitchen knives but not wanting to spend much money on sharpeners, I checked Amazon .... while several different types caught my eye, I ended up ordering their SunrisePro Knife Sharpener ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <=== my decision was guided in part by price $19.97 and that with Prime it qualified for free shipping .... the biggest factor was a 5 Star rating based on 3,633 customer reviews .... to me that was impressive .... it arrived today and I used it to sharpen the 3 knives .... I wouldn't use it to sharpen my good knives but for working blades it does OK .... it did put a solid working edge with minimal effort but I wasn't impressed with the way it looked .... for what I wanted it to do, it should be fine
Hi there. Do you realize that your wife's kitchen knives are Cutco and quaranteed for life? Send them to the factory and they will come back like new. Details on their website.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:18 am

bmur66 wrote:Hi there. Do you realize that your wife's kitchen knives are Cutco and quaranteed for life? Send them to the factory and they will come back like new. Details on their website.
absolutely, we have two sets .... like our firearms, our knives aren't for show, they work for a living .... as well made as they are, over time they need to be sharpened .... when that happens we have a couple of choices .... as noted, all we have to do is pay to ship them back and they will most certainly sharpen them .... each of our sets came with a Cutco sharpener ====> https://www.cutco.com/products/product. ... =sharpener .... I've tried them and don't really like them .... I can put a very sharp edge on them so for me, it boils down to preferring to save money and time required to ship them back
0 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 am

Yea those sharpeners aren't the best. The straight edge knives need more attention to keep them sharp. If you have any with the DD edge, only the factory can resharpen them properly. I work at Cutco and hear often how people hate giving up their knives for the short time it takes to service them.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 am

bmur66 wrote:I work at Cutco and hear often how people hate giving up their knives for the short time it takes to service them.
other than salesmen, you are the first person who works for Cutco who I've been able to communicate with .... you guys make a very good product .... I'd love to add a couple of knives you offer to our sets and to replace one knife that disappeared .... unfortunately, so far, I've not been able to convince myself to write the check
0 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you Sir. Been there almost 30 years. Truly an American company trying to do our best. That is some of what draws me to Henry rifles. I am more in the manufacturing side of things so if you have any questions let me know.
0 x