Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sharpening the blades

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Sharpening the blades

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:08 pm

I used a Lansky. Now I use Diamond Plates and a large Arkansa hard stone. I use a fine grit on my belt sander5 to sharpen my axes/hatchets/machetes and hoes and shovels.............Works for me.

You sharpen a hoe on the side away from the handle. You sharpen a shovel on the scoop side........You'll be surprised at how much better they work when sharpened.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:08 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:16 pm
"Orange Ninja 4-Stage Knife Sharpener" that I believed is designed for sharpening chef's knives .... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PZDXSLL?ps ... yp_imgToDp .... I'm happy to say that has proven to be a good decision
here is a link to a 1 minute 12 second video showing how to use a Ninja sharpener === https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxK7RZ5MMzE
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:08 am

Jim, for my Rada knives, I have found the small Rada sharpener to do a great job. For my other kitchen knives, that are not expensive, the Bavarian edge gives a good edge consistantly.
As an update, I have mastered the Spyderco system and my Lansky has given me very nice results so far. I think it was a matter of re-learning the feel of each one. The Edge Pro is the one I want to get better at. So far, YouTube videos have helped a lot with tips.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:06 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:08 am
for my Rada knives, I have found the small Rada sharpener to do a great job
over time I've found that sharpeners marketed by the same folks who market the knives work well .... that makes sense in that they are able to design the sharpener so that it exactly matches the knives edges
daytime dave wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:08 am
For my other kitchen knives, that are not expensive, the Bavarian edge gives a good edge consistantly.
same for me .....
0 x