knife story

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

knife story

Post by biglever » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:26 am

This is What started my search for a backup
Hunting knife. It was blackpowder season, my wife was up in her tree stand , she has a four pointer come in range , and she shoots, it goes down ,then
Gets back up. And heads off our property. I herd my wife shoot , I know she can't reload her gun.
My phone goes off , she tells me were the buck is headed, I tell her to pick up the blood trail , Iam going to try and cut it off.
So #1 I don't carry a big fixed blade hunting knife
On my belt. I carry one in my backpac. When she called , I jumped up and left all my gear were I was sitting. And took off as fast as I could to get around. This buck and cut him off. To make this story short ,we put him down , I tell my wife give me your knife. She says I left it in my Pac.at the bottom of her tree stand. Now it's getting dark, and Were a long ways from were we started , so the only thing I have is my little pocket knife that I use for everything and it's not the sharpest knife in the wourld.
After that ordeal. I started looking for a knife to carry on my belt or a clip on. My pocket. Type lock blade , to carry all hunting season. Something a little better than a old boy's scout knife.
I came up with two. One is a Remington lock blade
That is small but has a pretty fat blade.
The other is a folding. Hunting knife that has 3 blades. It didn't come with a pouch. So I had a guy in Texas make me a Bianchi style pouch for it.
20160728_062438.jpg
20160728_062532.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: knife story

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:34 am

been there .... done that .... came to the same conclusion .... my longtime favorite is a Buck 110 Folding Hunter ....
2 x

biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by biglever » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:24 am

I have used the camo folding knife a couple. Times
And it works ok, but what a mess when your done.
I put it in a zip-loc bag to carry home. Then drop it in the sink.
0 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:47 am

Very interesting account of your hunt. I carry the Buck 110 also or the Buck Pro Line with a gut hook. Usually there is a stream nearby where I hunt but I also carry a packet of those "moist wipes" or "handy wipes" and they get the worst of the mess off the knife until I get home. As a side note, I also wear those deer gutting plastic gloves so I don't get the blood on my hands. I am allergic to it and I break out in hives wherever the blood touches me. I have been hunting deer since 1964 and this didn't start until around 1993. Something changed in my system I guess.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by biglever » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Yes, I use the field dessing gloves as well,
But that 3 blade folding knife has more nuk's and
Gran'es than a English muffin. To hold butter.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:11 am

Great story. I agree with your plan to have it on your belt at all times. I have some type of knife on my belt. Often a Buck 110, but recently, a Remington USA made Jumbo trapper. Either will do great on a deer.

I'd rethink the nooks and crannies knife. Lots of things to clean out after. I'd look for a 110 or similar knife and wipe it clean. A Buck 500 or 501 are smaller yet and almost as handy.

I'm glad you and your wife got that deer.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member