Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some Rough Riders

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Some Rough Riders

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 am

I received my package of Rough Riders and other knives and gear I ordered. I was given a link by a friend, but I went ahead and ordered from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They had some other things I wanted and they said they use PayPal. The PayPal and whole online checkout system would not work, but the old fashioned phone order worked like a charm. Their website did save my order by my email, so I was happy.

On to the knives. Image Image

A nice sample of knives. All China made, except a couple made in Pakistan. I also got a Fisher Space Pen for work and a strop and a couple of SMKW ceramic rods. They were cheap.

I was impressed by the Rough Rider branded knives. They were every bit as well made as any made in China knives I had ever looked at. Certainly very similar to my beloved Bucks. I did not find them to be on the level of the Bucks made in the US, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

First, the biggest disappointment of the bunch. The Rough Rider Little Mustang Hunter. Little is right. It's Lilliputian. It's a very well made knife and leather sheath, but it was made for GI Joe. If it were made in a man (or woman) size knife, they would have a hit. It was only $7.oo

Something happened to the rest. I'll work on it tonight.
2895&1455770086125&1455770091632&1455770100966[/img]
To continue,

So, did I say it was small?

Next was the straight razor. I wasn't expecting much, but I liked the Mason's symbol on the blade. I don't think I'll ever be able to shave with it, but for $8.oo..........I had to. It was not very sharp. It might be able to take the proper edge, we'll see.

Next is a Rough Rider Theodore Roosevelt belt knife. Kind of a brand namesake knife. It looked cool. I liked the coffin handle and blade shape.
It was not very sharp either. It was pretty cool. I threw out the box, but should have taken a picture of it. On one side there was an "order" for a knife for US Army Volunteers, signed and counter signed and a design calling for various part and a stainless steel blade. LOL. On the cover were some San Juan Hill pictures of Teddy, now amazingly sporting the same knife. It was rough in spots and might sharpen up if I take the time. $25.oo

I have always wanted one of the Buck twin knife sets. I have never wanted to pay the asking price. These are from Pakistan and weigh a ton. The leather sheath is very thick. They are surprisingly nice. For $25.oo, a nice deal.

Now, onto the home runs.

I never had a Marlin spike, but I'm glad I ordered this one. $10.oo It functioned well. A few swipes across one of the ceramic rods and it was a razor. Nicely finished.

The last three are the best.
Rough Rider Camper's Stockman. A really nice knife. I like the screw driver on a Stockman pattern knife. It's about the size of my Buck 301. Nicely finished. $13.oo A good deal.

This gem was listed on the Rough Rider area at SMKW. The copper looked great on the site. The wood and copper look better in person. It is one good looking knife. I'm glad I ordered the large. It's on par with a Buck 500 I'd say. A really nice blade shape. $10.oo.

The last is a Marbles Jumbo Hunter. I compared it to my Camillus and it is just as nice. It is well made and just great. At $25.oo, it can go out in the woods and if it doesn't come back, the wallet won't cry too badly. I just swapped it out with the Camillus and the Camillus is now on display and the Marbles is at work. The best treat of the batch.

Just a tiny blemish on the main blade. Otherwise perfect in my humble opinion.

Here is my Fisher Space Pen. It's a lacquered brass Cap-O-matic.
RSb. I have used Fisher Space Pens since my 20's. They make refills for Cross pens too. I have had and lost many great Fisher pens.
My favorite is my Mel Fisher pen. It is a Fisher Space pen made with real Atocha gold discovered by Mel Fisher. It is a true keeper. This one is nice too. One hand click.

[img]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/ ... 3&14557700
As an aside, the Rough Rider Knives,Marbles Jumbo Hunter and the beautiful copper lock back all became razors after a few swipes on the ceramic rod. The Quality Control seems to be there with these knives. The Copper was the sleeper and the Jumbo Hunter was the prize.

I am pleased with most all the items. No regrets on any, as they were so inexpensive. The Rough Rider is a good quality looking product. Some of the others too. While I might not order any more soon, I'll surely use the ones I have. I'm just trying to figure out how those stag handled knives from Pakistan could just appear in the kitchen. I think they'd be perfect there, but spotted very easily by someone who says there are enough knives in the kitchen.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Some Rough Riders

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:43 pm

You have some great knives but made in China got lost on me. I buy used knives on ebay that were made in the U.S.A.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:27 pm

They are all purty, but I really like the Little Mustang Hunter and the Old Forge.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:14 pm

very nice indeed .... we stop by Smoky Mtn Knife Works as often as we can .... they are a quality outfit
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:56 pm

JEBar wrote:very nice indeed .... we stop by Smoky Mtn Knife Works as often as we can .... they are a quality outfit
You live in China :?: Or did I miss something and these aren't all made in China :?:
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
JEBar wrote:very nice indeed .... we stop by Smoky Mtn Knife Works as often as we can .... they are a quality outfit
You live in China :?: Or did I miss something and these aren't all made in China :?:
we live in the east but not in the "Far East" .. ;) .. the Smoky Mountain Knife Works https://www.smkw.com/ is billed as the world's largest knife store .... if it isn't, it just ought to be ... if/when you are in the area, its well worth the time to stop and visit it
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Okay now I understand. :)
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Congrats on your new knives!

Cate
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:50 am

Sir Henry,

This group of knives was a special trial of knives of this brand to see how i liked them. A fellow member thought I might like them. The jumbo trapper was the cats meow. I have a genuine Camillus jumbo trapper. I cant find or yet afford a Buck jumbo trapper. The China made one will work for a living. If it gets broke or lost, its not a problem. That was the members intent with these knives.

I prefer to buy USA whenevr i can. Buck knives, Henry rifles and Fisher pens.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

DanAtHenry
Henry Liason
United States of America

Post by DanAtHenry » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Love the looks of that wood and copper knife.
1 x
Please follow Henry Repeating Arms on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to Henry TV. Thanks!

Henry Repeating Arms, 201-858-4400, dan@henryusa.com