Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Benjamin/Sheridan classic pump air rifles

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Benjamin/Sheridan classic pump air rifles

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:39 pm

No doubt about it, Bill and I do own and shoot some very expensive European airguns and I have posted about them. I always worry a bit, though that my posts about these pricey airguns might leave someone with the impression you have to spend big bucks to get an accurate airgun. Not true, not even close. Lots and lots of affordable choices when it comes to accurate air guns. Today I'd like to share with you what some vintage American classic pump rifles can do.

Here are the airguns Bill and I shot at our 30 yard backyard range, this afternoon. Bit of breeze and plenty of mosquitoes, but otherwise a nice afternoon to put the pump up air rifles though their paces. All shooting was at a measured 30 yards from the bench.

Bill is a bit new to shooting pump ups, so after giving him some tips on working these pump air rifles, I started him with a well-used 1970s Sheridan Bluestreak with a 4x scope. Sheridan Bluestreaks, of course, shoot 20 cal pellets.

In a matter of a few targets, he was stacking those 20 cal pellets dead in the bullseye.

For myself, I chose a mid 90s vintage Benjamin 397P. A few years earlier, Crosman had bought out Benjamin and was still using walnut stocks and some old Benjamin parts. This, then, was the last of the 397s with a walnut stock and tang safety. The following year, Crosman built the Benjamin 397s with hardwood stocks and moved the safety to the trigger guard. This one wears a 3-9x scope and is mint shape.

This Benjamin loves Crosman pellets, so no need to feed it the pricey European pellets.

And my best target of the day

A word about shopping for these vintage classic American pump up air rifles. These pump airguns have been going up steadily in price for the last ten years, especially the Sheridans, and now we're seeing the same kind of demand growing for the vintage Benjamins. The pandemic has has added fuel to the fire on pricing, so if you find one of these at a good price, locally, better grab it (and locally is your best bet for finding one at a reasonable price, now, since pricing online has now reached the point of insanity in some cases).
6 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Benjamin/Sheridan classic pump air rifles

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 pm

10-4 on the insanity with pricing. Been on the road a bout 3 weeks cant wait to get back and shoot my springer again. Nice shooting NCG. I found some H&N pellets to give a try.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:08 pm

That is great shooting. I can’t wait for my shooting area to be clear again.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Thank-you, both. For surgeon the pricing insanity. There's a guy on E-bay posting a Sheridan for $999 that I would have paid only $100 five years, ago. Just nuts.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Thank you for sharing NCG.
As you may or may not remember, I have a 70's vintage Sheridan and love it. Only problem is barrel separation which I mentioned some time back. You recommended JB Weld, which I still have not done. I AM going to take care of that rifle though. It's a great shooter even with a zip tie holding the barrel to the air chamber. :D
BTW, Very nice shooting!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks, mark. Yes, I remember you have a Sheridan. Do try that JB Weld trick. Our JB Weld Sheridan is still holding up after a few years of repair. Definitely get out and shoot that Sheridan. The one Bill was shooting will shoot every bit as good as the Benjamin I was shooting when using JSB 20 cal pellets.

By the way, if you have any of those original Sheridan pellets in the yellow or red plastic boxes, DON'T shoot them. They are actually becoming collectible and some folks are paying $50 for a box. Just nuts. I still have a few boxes of the cylindrical yellow box Sheridan pellets.I used them back in the day for my squirrel and rabbit hunting. They are not as accurate as the JSBs or waist style pellets, but the penetration was outstanding. We had many a squirrel and rabbit diner when times were tough, thanks to our old reliable Sheridan and those pellets. Still my favorite air rifle.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Thank you Joanie,
Yes, I do still have a box of the yellow Sheridans that is only half full...oh welll who knows what the future holds?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry