Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Spring piston versus PCP shootout

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Spring piston versus PCP shootout

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Okay, not really a shootout as in testing for absolute accuracy. Nope, today was one of those days when I was doing a little experimenting with a different shooting position and thought this would be a good example to share as to how easy or difficult the different types of air rifles can be to shoot when you step outside the normal way you shoot them.

First up the rifles. Both are top notch air rifles of their prospective types. Both are big heavy guns as in the 10 pound class with scopes. That's why we normally shoot from the bench rested on a bag. Today, though, I was wondering how I would shoot these monsters if I ever ventured away from the shooting bench. Offhand wouldn't work for me because of the weight. Kneeling might, but I'm not comfy with that position. I decided, then, that if I ever found myself out in the field with these two air rifles, I would use my favorite field position, namely, sitting, with or without my back up against a tree or boulder. Today I went with sitting with nothing to support my back. Back in my hunting days, this was my go to shooting position.

First up was my HW97K springer in 177 with the blue laminated stock. This is as good as it gets in a spring piston gun. I've worked long and hard to perfect a bench hold for this beauty and when all things are clicking, it's a sub one inch gun at 50 yards. At thirty yards from the bench, it's always been a reliable half inch shooter for 10 shots. That accuracy comes at a price, though. Spring piston guns are notoriously hold fussy, thanks to their unique double shuffle recoil and it takes a lot of practice to develop a shooting technique that works.

Next up was a vintage PCP in 177 from the late 90s in the Daystate CR-97. Unlike a spring piston gun, there is no recoil with a PCP. That makes them no more hold fussy than a typical 22 LR bench rifle (though, in fact, this particular PCP air rifle will outshoot all but the best 22 LR target rifles at 50 yards).

So how did they do?

The springer was a big disappointment. It obviously did not like wandering away from the bench where I normally shoot it. Oh, given enough time and practice from a field siting position, I could develop a hold that would recover that bench accuracy or at least come close. I probably should have worked on this one a bit more, but I was so frustrated, I walked back to the house and grabbed the PCP rifle.

Picked up the PCP and, uh, it was akin to a shooting miracle. I think I could tie myself up into a pretzel and still shoot this one well.

Two very accurate air rifles. The difference is ease of shooting. Little wonder that PCP rifles own the world of competition air gun shooting and it's been that way for decades.
6 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Spring piston versus PCP shootout

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:22 pm

Excellent shooting Joanie. When I was younger sitting was one of my favorite positions. Now that I’m older I can’t get my elbows on my knees with my butt on the ground.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:28 pm

Thanks for the information. I am very pleased with my springer from a seated position but my past experience with my PCP rifle was excellent.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:15 pm

That is some fine shooting for sure.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:54 pm

Well NCG looks like you made up for the frustration to me. Soon I will post a target from my Weihrauch it came last Thursday as I was leaving town. Its waiting for me to unbox it at home. Cant wait to shoot it
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:57 am

Enjoy your HW. My favorite brand of springers.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 pm

Those are fine looking and shooting rifles! I know YOU have a lot to do with their performance!
Thanks for sharing!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:30 pm

I had a like-new Daystate Mk4 Panther .177 that I bought at a pawn shop for $999, including a very nice Omega 75 cu ft carbon fiber 4500 psi tank. I sold off the gun and the tank at vast profits, but am still interested in these guns. Can you recommend a fairly quiet .25 caliber PCP rifle in the $750 street price range that isn't junk? I need a large caliber due to loss of finger dexterity.

I am drawn to the AF Condor SS and would install a quick change top hat in it to regulate it down for plinking at about 800 fps; however that price is quite a bit north of my target figure.

I suspect that the Harsan guns are garbage, I like this but I don't especially want to rebuild it to make it shoot: http://hatsan.com.tr/product/flashpup-s/

What do you use for a fill pump?

Thanks for any advice,

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks, Mark. Appreciate all the other nice comments, too, folks.

John, I have no experience in 25 cal guns, but your point about the larger pellets being easier to handle is a good one. Can't tell you how many 177 pellets I've fumbled when loading in cold weather. Instead of 25s, you might try 22 cal pellets and see how they work for you. 22 cal pellets will be cheaper and more available and lots more to choose from in guns and in my experience, they are easier to handle.

Lots of good choices in affordable PCPs, these days, but the catch is getting something with a good trigger, out of the box on the cheaper models, since you don't want to do any mods. The more popular PCP rifles in this category like the Benjamins, though, have a lot of aftermarket trigger kits. I've actually heard some good things about Hatsans on the forums, though I have no personal experience with them.

Our other PCP is a used Benjamin Discovery in 22 cal. Got it for $150 and the previous owner had added a moderator to further quiet it. Been meaning to do a trigger upgrade on it, but it still shoots great with the stock trigger. This one only runs on 2000 psi, so I can pump it if need be with the Benjamin pump that came with it (takes 50 pumps), but I'm not a big fan of pumping PCPs. We fill ours via scuba tanks which we have filled though a local dive shop. Pumping up standard 3000 psi rifles is beyond what we can handle at our age, not to mention trying to shoot right after the needed 100 pumps on a typical 3000 psi PCP air rifle and you're all worn out and huffing and puffing just isn't practical. A lot of folks who use pumps to fill actually do it the night before.

We are planning to get our own compressor at some point, though. More investment in support equipment, of course, is, understandably, the deal breaker with PCPs for a lot of folks. Just take it out of the box and shoot is one of the reasons we shoot mostly spring piston guns or the old classic multi pump up rifles. No arguing with the performance of PCPs, though, especially for hunting.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:00 pm

NCG thanks for the comments. I used to prowl pawn shops but I stopped due to Covid, maybe I will just have to order something, if I can find it in stock anywhere.., I no longer work and am getting a little stir crazy at home, so a quiet airgun would be a good hobby I think. I am reluctant to go to the gun range.

I have been researching air pumps and this one seems to be very good, unlike many China made pumps it is very robust. It is getting excellent reviews but it is in short supply. If you want one, I suggest that you grab one while some are available.

11337083-759D-48E3-87BC-122A3A0A37BF.jpeg

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/jts-gx-e-cs3-compressor/

Here is a discussion, start at Page 10 because there is a whole lot of speculation in the previous pages.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/i ... 171414.180

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John E Davies on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x