Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Airguns/Airbows for deer

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Airguns/Airbows for deer

Post by Mgderf » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:50 am

Indiana is considering allowing the use of air guns and air bows for deer hunting.
There will be several restrictions, like a minimum of .40cal bullet, and something like a minimum of 750 ft/lbs of energy at muzzle.

I don't have an air gun that would accomplish this feat, but I know where to find one...

www.quackenbushairguns.com

I've been drooling over these rifles for some time.
Now it looks as if Indiana will give me an excuse to look even closer at obtaining one, instead of just admiring them.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Airguns/Airbows for deer

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:57 am

thanks for introducing this topic .... I had no clue that such airguns existed .... looking forward to hearing folks with experience using them
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Indiana sent out a deer hunters survey just a week ago.
Some of the questions included asking what the Hoosier hunters thought about the idea of allowing air guns, air bows, and sling bows for deer hunting.

I may just be looking at buying one of the Quackenbush rifles after all.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Am I missing something here? What is the point of paying the $$ that you could buy a "firearm" with to hunt with a projectile that is not powered by burning gunpowder?
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Travlin wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:27 pm
Am I missing something here? What is the point of paying the $$ that you could buy a "firearm" with to hunt with a projectile that is not powered by burning gunpowder?
Well, one thought might go something like...
You've exhausted your powder supply, one way or another, and there are no longer any commercially available supplies.

So, all you have left is projectiles, but you also have a stupidly powerful "air gun" that will drop an American Bison.
Lewis and Clark used an "air-gun" on their expedition because of worries about being able to keep powder dry.

Big bucks or not, if I see an excuse to be able to put one to use, I'll buy at least one!
0 x