Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My neglected air gun collection....

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: My neglected air gun collection....

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 am

Glad I'm still able to pump my Sheridan. Stopping at 5 to 7 pumps is still doable for me w/o much strain, and is enough to get the job done.
Sometimes though, those last couple pumps, I re-position the rifle placing the top of the stock against my thigh for leverage.
love that Blue Streak though! Have had it for about 45 years.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 am

Al, to pump or not to pump is very much a personal decision, so it would be great if you could try pumping to see if it would work for you. In other words, I would not read too much into what anyone says about a particular gun being easy to pump. Easy to pump relative to what? Keep in mind, too, that these airgun pumps require more effort than a bicycle pump.

As for the TX200 and the HW97K, we own both and we shoot both. All under-lever spring guns are heavy, period. Just the nature of the beast. However, there are differences in the balance and, for me, that's the difference as to whether I can shoot a model offhand or whether I can only shoot it from a rest.

The TX 200 MK III (the standard model) is way too muzzle heavy for me to shoot offhand for any length of time. It's strictly a bench gun and I would not care to carry it all day. The standard HW97K with a beech stock I can shoot offhand for awhile. Weighs slightly less and the balance is better. I also prefer the way it operates. It's easier for me to use, overall, as far as cocking and loading. Much prefer the HW design to the TX. Just more user friendly for me. As a result, my HW97K sees a lot more use.

I also have the HW97K with the blue laminate stock. Unfortunately, that laminate stock pushes the weight over what I can comfortably shoot offhand. It sees only bench shooting, but it is my absolute favorite springer for bench work. When it's time to do some long range work from the bench, the blue 97K gets the call.

There are other options, though, with the AAs. I have the TX200 HC and the Prosport. The Prosport is the lightest with the balance being the most to the rear. This makes it a great offhand gun, but being so muzzle light, it is a very fussy gun as to hold from a rest.

My favorite of the three AAs is the TX 200 HC. Has just the right balance for both offhand work and bench work. Though still heavy, it's a more comfortable gun to carry. For whatever reason, it's also been my most consistent shooter for accuracy. (And a lot of other HC shooters have noted the same thing.) The only disadvantage is the extra cocking effort due to the shorter under lever. I love the gun enough to work around that, though, by using both arms to cock it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Al, any Daystate is an excellent choice in a PCP. I would also look at the HW 100. It's another PCP that gets excellent reviews.

Don't forget scuba tanks as an option or, better yet, carbon fiber.

As much as I love my springers, it's no accident that PCPs are king of the hill in competition and hunting. It's where all the research and development in the air gun world has gone for a long time, now. Even my vintage late 90s Daystate CR-97 PCP, now considered old technology in the PCP world, easily outshoots my springers, not to mention being spooky quiet with zip for recoil.

Very few of these CR-97s were produced and even fewer got shipped over here. Even a lot Daystate fans have never seen one. We got it at an estate auction form a gentleman who was an international competitor.

0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks NCG. Yes I figured the pumping is not close to a bike pump. Ive done enough research on the pumping of the pcp and watched videos on youtube with people doing so. I had leaned towards the Weihrauch line of springers just because of what you have said about them. So if I do opt for the Springer it will be a Weihrauch
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Scuba Tanks I have looked into. But around here its hard to find someone to fill them. So I would just bite the bullet and get the compressor. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/compre ... ompressor/ This one here is the one I have looked at. Pricey yes but if I decide to get one this will be the one for sure.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Some of the local welding supply stores here have CO2 tanks and/or can fill them.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Getting tanks filled is the big variable, for sure. We have to drive 30 miles to find a dive shop that will fill our tanks, but we have three tanks. That helps.

Still, we will be going to a compressor at some point. I don't like depending on an outside source to do my PCP shooting.
0 x

Top Dog
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Top Dog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 am

Northcountrygal,
You probably already know this,but Pyramid Air offers some reasonably priced compressors that do not need an additional air pump to operate.

I think they offer reviews on those compressors to help you decide which one you would like.

Top Dog
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks. Yah, we've been looking at them, just not quite ready to make the plunge.
0 x

DaveShooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DaveShooter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Very Nice looking Big Boys and Girls air gun toys. As I too got it bad for them all. I just love to Shoot hunt and plink
or target shoot with . Always have since I was a very small boy and now cover 60 years young. The technology on Air power weapons
is so very unreal for sure these days..
0 x