Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro review

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: RWS 34 Meisterschutze Pro review

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:38 am

Al, lots to consider in a choice for a backyard friendly air gun. Very much depends on what you have for a backyard and neighbors, especially if those neighbors are not gun friendly kinds of folk.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks for the comments, thoughts and conversation. The main reason I went with this rifle is that I have a feral cat hanging around and fighting with my cats, and while my neighbors aren't sensitive in any way about firearms, they are close enough for me to be concerned about the safety of shooting a .22 in town, and the report of a 12 gauge may be a little shocking. (I realize that a pellet gun is also a dangerous weapon, a little quieter though) So, I had some Cabela's points to burn up and I thought that this would be a good way to use them :)
Another thing that I do like about this rifle is that it shoots Crossman pellets really well which are readily available at Wallmart and Gander Outdoors.
ALSO, It's kind of cool to buy a firearm with no background check, no hassle, free shipping even!
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 pm

As far as suburban shooting, it's not just the reduced noise, or even the reduced velocity of the pellet gun, but foremost the difference in the mass of the projectile. Your average .177 hunting pellet is about 8.5g. Compare that to a 40g CCI Quiet
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:38 am
Al, lots to consider in a choice for a backyard friendly air gun. Very much depends on what you have for a backyard and neighbors, especially if those neighbors are not gun friendly kinds of folk.
Yes agreed NCG. I only have a close neighbor on the east side of me and he has pellet guns to. Matter of fact he talked about opening the gate and shooting through both yards. So Im good in that area.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:06 am

You are lucky to have such a neighbor. I've had the other kind at various times over the years. If anyone does find themselves in a situation where noise versus power is a factor, know that PCP really is the way to go when it comes to quiet, power and keeping the gun light in weight. Our inexpensive Crosman Discovery PCP in 22 cal with its add on moderator is not only quieter, by far, than any of our springers or pump up guns, it's more powerful and considerably lighter, too, than our most powerful spring piston gun.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:57 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:06 am
You are lucky to have such a neighbor. I've had the other kind at various times over the years. If anyone does find themselves in a situation where noise versus power is a factor, know that PCP really is the way to go when it comes to quiet, power and keeping the gun light in weight. Our inexpensive Crosman Discovery PCP in 22 cal with its add on moderator is not only quieter, by far, than any of our springers or pump up guns, it's more powerful and considerably lighter, too, than our most powerful spring piston gun.
Yes, I am very thankful that we live in a pro-firearm area. Just about everyone I know grew up with firearms, and are very familiar and comfortable with firearms. It's really nice.
I am curious, what does it take to get into PCP air rifles, how do you fill them? etc. Where is a good place to start?
I sure appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share with us all! :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Glad to help. PCP stands for pre-charged pneumatic as opposed to classic pump up rifles like Crosmans, Benjamins and Sheridans which are also pneumatics, but require you pump them up after every shot. A PCP runs on a reservoir mounted on the gun, under the barrel. The reservoir runs at high pressures, anywhere from 2000 psi up over 3000 psi. Depending on the size of the reservoir and power setting, you can get anywhere from 20 shots on my Disco rifle to over 150 shots on a low power 10 meter PCP pistol like my Steyr. The typical PCP rifle runs 40 to 80 shots per fill, though.

And filling is the thing. This is where our people balk about going PCP. To begin, you cannot fill these air guns with a conventional shop compressor or your bicycle pump. Neither develop the needed pressures. That leaves you with three options.

The first is a special PCP hand pump. Looks and works like a bicycle pump, but develops the pressures needed. Be advised, though, you better be in shape. We're talking 50 pumps to 100 pumps and not easy ones at that. Obviously, getting your heart rate up like this is not conducive to good shooting, so a lot of folks do their pumping the night before. These pumps run $200 to $300 or more, but are actually your cheapest option for refills.

The next is to fill from a scuba tank with special adapters for your particular PCP rifle. This is currently the most popular. It's what we use. Refills take only a minute - you're done and can continue shooting. (We keep our scuba tanks in the garage.) That's the good news. The bad news is that scuba tanks aren't cheap and then there's the hassle of filling your scuba tank at your local dive shop. Some shops will fill your tank for the purpose of air gun shooting, but some won't for reasons of liability. Note, too, that tanks have to be certified every so many years via a pressure test. Another hassle and expense.

The last way is to buy your own high compression compressor. These are called shoebox compressors that run in tandem with a conventional shop compressor and act as pressure boosters. They're now coming down in price to the point of being competitive with buying a scuba tank. There are now even run alone compressors specifically made of PCP air guns. We'll be investing in one of these options when our scuba tanks run dry.

So what do you get for all this extra expense and hassle with a PCP?

For one, the best accuracy you can get from an air gun. The amount of air used for each shot and the pressure can be very precisely controlled and regulated. In fact, some of the most advanced PCPs have onboard computers to do this very thing, not to mention highly sophisticated electronic ignition systems. In short, the most advanced PCP air guns have more sophistication and technology than most powder burning guns. PCPs rule the roost in all air gun competition. All other types of air guns need their own division.

Ease of shooting is also a huge plus for PCPs. No special technique needed, as for shooting piston guns. Shoot a PCP just like your 22 rifle, though you still need to develop proper follow through. No special scopes needed, either, since there is no recoil.

PCPs are definitely the quietest air guns. No spring and piston noise and unlike pump up air guns, no pumping noise between shots. PCPs are also the easiest to setup with moderators and shrouds for the sake of noise reduction. PCPs can be so quiet, in fact, as to be a little spooky if you've been shooting piston guns for awhile. With our Daystate PCP rifle, for instance, the loudest sound is the pellet hitting the back stop. Actually hard to believe that you've just sent a pellet downrange with more velocity than the hardest-kicking piston gun. No recoil. Just phhttt! and the pellet is gone.

Power is another huge plus for PCPs. The average PCP rifle develops more fpe than the most powerful piston gun and it does it without the weight or the cocking effort needed for "magnum" piston guns. This power, along with excellent accuracy and lack of noise really make PCPs the ideal rifle for hunting.

Lastly, PCPs offer very practical repeater capability, via special pellet magazines. You basically operate them like any bolt gun with a magazine. Pretty neat.

In the air gun world, those of us who have been shooting traditional air guns like spring piston guns and classic pumpers sometimes tongue-in-cheek refer to "going over to the dark side". This is a shooter who has gone PCP on us. Sometimes they never come back to the traditional stuff. Me, I like them all, so I shoot them all.
3 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Thank you for the great reply. I may look into them someday!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Ive done alot of research into the PCP gun choice. Id love to have one. NCG knows way more than I do about them as she has them and I dont own one yet. I really want one of those more than a springer but when you look at the initial investment of the gun scope and the compressor it makes you think about it for a while. Those shoe box compressors are pricey not to mention the PCP guns are right up there to.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:24 pm
Glad to help. PCP stands for pre-charged pneumatic ~~~ And filling is the thing. This is where our people balk about going PCP.

In the air gun world, those of us who have been shooting traditional air guns like spring piston guns and classic pumpers sometimes tongue-in-cheek refer to "going over to the dark side". This is a shooter who has gone PCP on us. Sometimes they never come back to the traditional stuff. Me, I like them all, so I shoot them all.
Never would have thought so much is involved. Great info/presentation about "the air gun world."

I know there are different "worlds" within the shooting sports "universe." Like I've just barely crossed over the neutral zone into the realm of BP shooting. It sure takes a lot of knowledge, time, and $$$ to enjoy the different sport offerings. Guess that old saying is valid: "The sky is the limit!"

Thanks for your excellent input, NCG.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~