Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

HATSAN 135 or 155 ??????

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

HATSAN 135 or 155 ??????

Post by Slugnut » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Can anyone give me some "pros-cons" or opinions/experiences of these 2 pellet rifles ? The 155 is a under lever and the 135 is a break barrel (both have the Vortex gas piston) , both would be 22cal, would be for plinking and target shooting. The price is about the same. ( gotta do something for cabin fever). All input is welcomed.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: HATSAN 135 or 155 ??????

Post by Henry88 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:05 pm

The only thing I can say is the underlever eliminates the possibility of barrel droop. I use a droop compensator on my breakbarrel anyway, as I like to shoot relatively long and the compensator keeps me from having to crank up the elevation. Both guns are gorgeous, BTW.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:57 pm

Not sure how much you want to spend slugnut but I think the weihrauch rifles are a better gun from all of my research. HW95L field pro. Check it out at Airguns of Arizona comes with a scope.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:49 pm

I don't want to be critical, here, and discourage you from getting those guns if you have your heart set on buying one of them, but as an experienced air gun shooter, I have to say both are poor choices for your stated application of target shooting and plinking.

Those guns have way more power than needed too for target shooting and plinking, but more than that, shooting piston guns with that much power is a real challenge to shoot with accuracy because of the nasty recoil they produce. Unless you are an experienced piston gun shooter, you'll have a very difficult time shooting such piston guns with accuracy. That's why most air gunners who want that kind of power go with PCP guns, which have no recoil.

In short, those Hatsans are specialty piston guns designed for hunting larger game species. Getting that kind of power is also why the cocking effort is rated at 50 pounds. That's extreme, at the upper end of practical, but doable for a hunting gun where you aren't shooting, continuously. For target shooting and plinking, though, that kind of cocking effort will be a detriment to good shooting because it will elevate your heart rate in a hurry. You'll fatigue, quickly, in even a short shooting session. I guarantee it.

I agree with Al. The HW95 is a much better gun in terms of quality and trigger and a far better choice for target shooting and plinking and general all around use. In fact, for just target shooting or plinking, the HW 50S or even the sweet shooting HW30S will be better choices. You can shoot, either, for hours and do so with great accuracy, once you learn the basics of piston gun shooting, not to mention that both are MUCH lighter than the listed 11 pound weight of the 155.

Again, I apologize if I haver discouraged you in any way from shooting air guns. Just hope to see you get something that works the best for your stated use.
3 x

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:54 am

Thank you all for your input and experiences. You opened my eyes on several levels. I've been shooting the Benjamin Trail NP2 for about 3-4 years now and I love it. It's very accurate and smooth cocking in the 22 cal. I just was testing the waters during these "cabin fever" days. NCG, you're very wise in what you stated and what I've read in your past posts. I count on you advice. I just wanted something a little manly- "middle age crazy" I guess. I'll look into the HW95 and HW305 Thank you all, again. It's go to know I can count on my fellow Henry brothers and sisters for help and good advice.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Hey Slugnut, X2 on NCG and her boundless knowledge. It's not that she just knows a lot, it's her ability to convey the info in an interesting way. If she has/will write books, I will buy them all :D

For the benefit of those seeking knowledge and might run across this on a search, I just wanted to explain what I meant by droop compensators.

My first two cheap springers had droop, meaning the barrel didn't fully align with the rest of the gun. This is maybe the first reason for all these reviews on line stating, " I just couldn't get the scope to adjust far enough to zero", so I sent it back :D.

I don't think my current gun has that issue (never tested and current scope doesn't show if your "one way or the other") but I continue to use it cause it's a good mount, it adds a little elevation to the tragectory, and doesn't seem to impact me negatively other than weight. I also use low rings with this. :)

But this is a heavy gun, so the weight is negligible.
UTG D_C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 am

Slugnut, I have the NP2 in .22 also. I really like that gun. I got it for fun and hunting. I agree on the accuracy and smoothness. I put a different trigger made by a fellow (sadly now deceased) over on Gateway to Airguns.
It made it even better.

I have to agree with NCG. She always puts it so well. I hope she can write a book or two! She could fill volumes.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 pm

I barely have enough tome to keep up on all my shooting, let alone write a book, but thank you, all, for the nice comments. :)
2 x