Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Classic pump gun project

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Classic pump gun project

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:47 pm

One of my goals for this indoor winter airgun shooting season is to work a bit more with our classic American pump up air rifles. Oh, I do love our high end and pricey European spring piston and PCP guns, but the classic Benjamin, Sheridan and Crosman pump up guns hold a special place in my heart. These were the guns that introduced me to the world of air gun shooting, so many years, ago. In fact, the first gun I ever shot, other than a BB gun, was an old, very worn, Benjamin 317.

This one is a bit newer. It's a 1995 Benjamin 397P (in .177). This gun was made in the few years following Crosman's buyout of Benjamin in the early 90s. It's what we call a transition gun, a hodgepodge of old Benjamin inventory parts and newer Crosman parts. The 397 lives on as the current all Crosman built Benjamin 397, but it won't have the walnut stock of this one or the original Benjamin tang mounted safety. These 90s transition 397/392s are much sought after and generally considered a better made gun than the current production guns, though those are still fine guns, too.

I recently changed scopes on this one to a Simmons 22 Mag AO. This AO version with target turrets has been recently discontinued, but you can still find them for sale on e-bay and so on. Can't beat these scopes for the money. Note that this is not an airgun rated scope, but, remember, you don't need an airgun rated scope on a pump up. You only need an airgun rated scope on piston guns.

As I have written, many times, before, these classic American pump up air rifles don't get the respect they deserve for accuracy. Crosman doesn't help when they advertise the current 397 as being able to shoot 1/2" groups at 10 meters. Half inch at 10 meters ??? Have to wonder if those folks even bother to shoot their guns. This particular gun has shot many groups under an inch way, way out there at 50 yards. In fact, here's an easy half inch group at 50 yards I shot with this gun a couple years, back.

And here's another nearly half inch, ten shot group I shot, yesterday, at 10 meters without a rest. I shot it from what I call half offhand or maybe sitting offhand, meaning I'm sitting on a seat, but shooting the gun unsupported, no rest. The advantage for me is that it allows me to pump the gun by resting it upside down against my knees as I sit, using both hands to pump. Greatly reduces the effort needed and is also more convenient than going back and forth between sitting to pump and standing to shoot. Only a touch more stable than full standing, but a more practical way for me to shoot these pump guns.

So, yeah, ignore what Crosman or others may tell you about these classic pumps as far as accuracy. They are very bit as serious in the accuracy department as those fancy European guns. :)
3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Classic pump gun project

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for sharing another excellent write-up. Good to know US made is good as EU made.
I have 2 Crosman pumps. 760 Pumpmaster and 66 PowerMaster. Very inexpensive and likely not their top of the line in accuracy.
Had them for a couple decades or more and haven't shot them in forever.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Hey, Mags, pull those oldies out, sometime, find the right pellet, maybe mount a scope or red dot and see what they can do. Be fun, no matter what. :)
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Great shooting! When I hear “shooting sitting” I think someone is sitting on the ground with elbows on their knees. To me this is a great position but at my age I want my caboose six inches off the ground.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Have liked reading the various air gun threads, which have been posted. Sure keep on wondering what it's like to shoot one. Maybe someday...should check if any of my several firearms buddies here own one that I might try.

Always interesting reads, NCG. Thanks! ;)
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:56 am

I recently sold a broken 70s era 397 for $100 on eBay. It was given to me about 30 years ago (when it worked) and I remember it being quite accurate and fairly powerful for a pump gun. No desire to mess with it so I sold it off with a bunch of other stuff. I was suprised how quick, and for him much it sold for.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 am

The old walnut stocked Benjamins and, especially, the Sheridans, are becoming very collectible and are appreciating in value. Part of it is the fact that these guns were made with better components than the recent Crosman produced versions, and part of it is the fact that so few pump ups are still being made. The air gun world has pretty much moved on to PCPs and piston guns. The pumps still endure, though, also because of their simplicity and durability. Have several Sheridans from the 60s and 70s that still pump and hold air just fine after all these years. If and when I need to rebuild them, easily done.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Here is a Sheridan C9 Series 20 cal. that has the walnut wood. Good old shooter in very near mint condition. This actually belongs to my younger brother and he leaves it at my house because he has other air guns like Beeman R1 and who knows what else. He has some other brands of springers but I am not sure what all he has. I don't know how old this one is but NCG might know the age. Serial number is WO 741--.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Will have to do some research with that serial number, but the walnut stock and, especially, the tang safety tells me it is probably a 90s vintage gun. Didn't take Crosman long to go with the "hardwood" sock and trigger guard safety.
0 x