Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Blue Streak furniture

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Blue Streak furniture

Post by markiver54 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:27 pm

My old Blue Streak is almost a daily shooter, however, the stock is pretty scratched up after about 50 years. I need to correct the barrel separation issue which NCG made some suggestions about. In the mean time thought I might pretty up the stock as best I can. Any suggestions on getting that done without stripping the entire old finish ? I think Homer Formby used to make an all in one re-finisher, or would that be a mistake?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Blue Streak furniture

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm

I lightly sand with 200# and then do a 50/50 mix of mineral oil and linseed oil for a nice traditional look. I do my best not to go too deep with the sanding. Usually just a matter of taking off the old sheen and grime and calling it good.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Great! Thanks much NCG. Wife got me a cleaning cradle/gun vise for my birthday but won't let me have it till Monday. Gonna jump on that project then. BTW, I did a little research since my post and think I determined mine is a 1973 vintage, serial #039610.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 pm

That's a great vintage for a Sheridan. Have a couple from the 70s, including this mint Blue Streak from '72 that I got from the original owner. He was getting too old to comfortably pump it, so thought it needed good home. (It did.)Note that the wood on the pump arm is a different color than the buttstock. This was very common on all classic pump air rifles like this.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:41 pm

The first Benjamin pump I ever had was a nickel plated 397. The wood was so mismatched I contacted Crosman. I ended up driving there and they replaced the stock while I waited.

I like your idea of the light refinish NCG. Your Blue Streak looks great.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member