Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sheridan scout scope rig

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Sheridan scout scope rig

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:17 pm

It's been solidly winter, up here, for almost a month, now. It's put the hurt on our outdoor shooting, but that doesn't mean an end to our shooting, of course. Just means that it's time for me to move indoors and do some airgun work. Been at it for a couple weeks, now.

One of my goals for this winter's indoor air gun season is to do more work with our classic pump airguns. This 1981 vintage Sheridan Bluestreak is one I've recently setup, specifically, for my 10 meter indoor shooting. The scope you see, here, is a Burris 3x pistol scope with an adjustable objective. Love the forward scout position of the scope. Keeps the scope out of the way for cocking and loading pellets and also when pumping.

One caveat here is that while any 2x or 3x pistol scope will work on a pump up airgun when set out on the barrel in a scout position, you'll need one with an AO for 10 meter shooting. Up this close, a non-AO pistol scope will have too much parallax for serious target work. Out past 20 or 25 yards, no problem, but up close, parallax will make it all but impossible to use a standard pistol scope for accuracy work.

As I've said, again and again, these classic pumps don't get enough credit for their accuracy. Here's what this Sheridan with the 3x scout scope can do, using 20 cal JSB Exact pellets. This accuracy is right there with what I can do with our very expensive German air rifles and no special technique needed to shoot these pumpers, either. Bottom target is 7 shots to get warmed up. Top target is 5 shots after making a few clicks of adjustment on the Burris scope.

Oh, we'll still get outdoors to do some shooting when the weather cooperates, but when it doesn't, not to worry. This gal is shooting as much as ever, maybe even more, with her indoor air gunning. Guns like this Sheridan Bluestreak scout scope rig make it fun and easy.
12 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Sheridan scout scope rig

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Indoors, outdoors, scope, no scope, big targets, small targets.

You can hit 'em all with authority, that's for sure. Some great looking targets, as always!

And, Thanks for the scope lesson.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

krunchnik
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by krunchnik » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:29 pm

I have one like that under the Benjamin name in .22 cal-good shooting on your part
0 x
THE CROW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for the nice comments, folks.

I should add that the parallax issue at 10 meters also applies to red dots. Red dots, contrary to what some marketing and some people claim, are not parallax free at all distances. From my testing at 10 meters for air gun use, red dots varied by brand and model from having only slight parallax (Ultradots) issues to some very serious parallax issues (most cheap models). Again, not a problem out at 20 yards and beyond, but up close another story. This is all the more a problem on classic pump up air rifles since their stock design is not scope friendly, thereby making it difficult to get a consistent rest on the stock as you look though the optic.
0 x