Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some interesting competition air pistols.

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Some interesting competition air pistols.

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Been trying to get out to our club range for a few days, now, but our stormy, rainy weather won't let up. Maybe, tomorrow.

In the meantime, just for fun, though I would share some of my full blown 10 meter competition air pistols with you. 10 meter air pistol competition is an Olympic event and is shot with one hand, standing position, unsupported - meaning you can't brace your arm against your body in any way. For my fun shooting, though, I do use two hands, now and then. It's also an iron sights, only event. It's also one of the most difficult of all shooting competitions of any kind. 10 meter air pistol has been an Olympic event since the 80s and no one has ever shot a perfect score in any sanctioned event, not just the Olympics (40 or 60 shots to a match). Never, not even close.

Here's my two 10 meter competition pistols.
Imagebest free image hosting

The top gun is a Steyr LP-10. It has the distinction of being a model with more Olympic gold medals to its credit than any air pistol in history. It has so many adjustments to it that I'll just say that nearly every part on this magnificent air pistol is adjustable. This is PCP air pistol, by the way. I have a special pump to go with it. 50 pumps gives me about 150 shots at 500 fps.

The bottom gun is the Baikal IZH 46M, lovingly called the Izzy by its owners and sometimes jokingly called that Russian ag implement, too, due to it large and somewhat ungainly size and the fact that it is made in Russia. This one is a single stroke pneumatic, via the pump under the grip and trigger guard. I have a red dot on it in this pic, but if I actually competed, that would be illegal. Iron sights, only for competition.

Both of these guns really are more accurate than anyone who shoots them, even Olympic medalists. Both pistols can literally put every shot into one clean hole at 10 meters, with the Steyr having an edge in consistency due to its superb quality and precision build.

So, ready to buy one of these? Uh, not so fast.

First the Steyr. The LP-10 has been replaced with a more modern version of the LP, but even in it's day the LP-10 was an extraordinarily expensive gun, costing well over $2000. Even if you could afford one, though, Steyr would NOT sell you one unless you could document that you were an actual competitor in sanctioned events. That's right, you had to prove that you could shoot at a level worthy of the gun! So, how did I get mine? I was lucky enough to buy one used at an estate sale from an elderly gentleman who had been shooting air pistol, competitively and I got it for a fraction of what the gun is worth.

Next, the Izzy. Remember all the politics some years, back, with all the sanctions with Russia? Yup, impossible now to import an Izzy into this country and that's a shame, because the Izzy has made it possible for many shooters to get into 10 meter air pistol at a more affordable price. How did I get mine? Bought it used from our very own Texas Gun Runner, right here on the forum.

Care for a challenge? As superb as both of these pistols are, try shooting air pistol at ten meters and shoot a great score. I can usually manage 5 in the 10 ring for a 50, once a winter, shooting all winter, with the Steyr and that's with two hands, standing, not one hand. Of course, that's beginner stuff compared to the real thing, doing it on a smaller bull for 40 or 60 shots using only one hand. Still one heck of a thrill when I can manage this much, though.
8 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Some interesting competition air pistols.

Post by 220 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:16 pm

There are no restrictions on who they will sell to here in Aus, I guess the big difference is that to buy a air pistol here you have to be licenced and to hold a licence you must be a member of a pistol club and compete in at least 6 comps a year so ever pistol shooter is a competitor on some level.
The LP really is the standard all other air pistols are judged by,
Is yours the electronic trigger?
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Wow, great post NCG
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm not worthy....
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Lots of very interesting comments in your post, NCG. You have got to have magnets in your fingertips the way firearms get found and bought by you! ;) And saying these are "interesting air pistols" is an understatement.

What was most fascinating to me is that based on the quality and accuracy of these pistols, the potential owner/shooter has to qualify! That almost seems snobbish. Still when I think about my own shooting skills, it does make some sense. A competition pistol at this level would never be used correctly by precision-shooting wannabes out there....myself at the head of the line.

I can relate because of a "vapor dream" I have about a shotgun. I can imagine myself walking into the Holland & Holland London gun room and requesting they build an O/U Royal for me (of course, by appointment only). To have a hand-crafted, fully-fitted and designed-to-fit-me-like-a glove shotgun would be something else! Especially since an H&H is hand-built through and through using old-world craftsmanship and design. This company has only been doing these same s/g builds since 1835. Alas, as soon as I tried to answer their first question, they would know. Hopefully, being British they just might kindly offer me a cup of tea before holding the door open for me. :lol:

Finally, with the 5/10 POIs I see in that bull, it's easy to figure who is the premier air pistol shooter on our Forum.
Great post and terrific shooting!
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Both of these guns really are more accurate than anyone who shoots them, even Olympic medalists. Both pistols can literally put every shot into one clean hole at 10 meters, with the Steyr having an edge in consistency due to its superb quality and precision build. …. Even in it's day the LP-10 was an extraordinarily expensive gun, costing well over $2000. Even if you could afford one, though, Steyr would NOT sell you one unless you could document that you were an actual competitor in sanctioned events. That's right, you had to prove that you could shoot at a level worthy of the gun!
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks, folks. Thought it might be fun to show some guns that not a lot of folks ever see.

220. no, strictly mechanical trigger at this vintage of LP. Guessing it was circa late 90s or so. Has no external pressure gauge and fills require unscrewing the reservoir. The other gun I snagged from the same owner/auction was also a late 90s gun ing the Daystate CR 97 rifle. Both state of the art in their day, but, as I've said before, all the R&D in the air gun world is going into PCPs. They've come a long way since the late 90s.

Yes, it does seem snobbish, but it's really practical on Steyr's part to be selective on who purchases such a gun. For sure, this allows Steyr to devote their time supporting these guns with people that know and understand their capabilities, rather than backyard plinkers who have no idea what such guns are all about. This isn't exclusive to Steyr, by the way. Anytime you get into highly sophisticated specialty guns like the LP, manufacturers do actively take a role who uses their guns.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 am

Have you started shooting the 60 shot womans match NCG. They have been transitioning here in Aus and a lot of the comps in the early part of the year were still shot as 40 shot matches.
We tend to shoot 5 shots a target at club level, open comps are usually 2 shots a target and state & higher a single shot per target or shot on electronic targets.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am

No, I haven't shooting any formal competition for many years, now. All for just the love of shooting, these days, and now only compete with myself. I can be one mean shooter to beat, sometimes, though. :)
1 x