Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Backyard shooting, backyard challenge

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Backyard shooting, backyard challenge

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:18 pm

The range is right outside my back door. I can shoot whenever I want. The sound of the pellet hitting one of my steel pellet traps is louder than the gun. Ammo costs less than two cents per round. The gun is a German made precision beauty with a trigger to match. A joy to shoot and almost effortless to cock. It's my HW30S Laminate in 177 and it's a favorite.

Imagepicture share

Target is 30 yards distant and the position is standing. Bull is only 2" in diameter. A challenge? You bet. Best way to learn the basics of position shooting I've ever found. Pays off, big time, when I use powder burning guns.

Yup, my secret is out. Now you know. Grab an air rifle and get to work. :)
8 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Backyard shooting, backyard challenge

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Great shooting Gal ! I don't claim to be an expert marksman but I know I owe a lot of my shooting skills to packing an air rifle with me wherever I went as a youngster. Still a lot of fun to shoot the kids air guns today too ! Of course some of these modern air guns are pretty serious pieces and extremely accurate. Keeps the skills honed, quiet, cheap shooting and like you say can do it right out the back door
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks, Ozark. Preaching a lot to the choir, here, but just thought I'd do the post as a friendly reminder. Besides, I should have mentioned that shooting air guns like this one is just plain FUN, FUN, FUN, too. Most of my shooting is at metal spinner targets of about the same size, which greatly adds to the enjoyment, but thought I'd add a paper target, today, as a reminder that air guns are seriously accurate. :)
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Gosh, NCG. Your love of air rifles has not been a secret around here for a very, very long time!! :lol:
I wonder how many posts you've done by now on them?!? ;) Of course, the pictures you post also show us how very cool-looking they are.

Keep on shooting 'em! Quiet rifles are good.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Yup, my secret is out. Now you know. Grab an air rifle and get to work. :)
1 x

~Пока~

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:44 am

Again NCG seemingly super human shooting, especially with a springer.

I noticed that Weihrauch is universally praised on the air gun sites, including the ol yella forum; and often that gun in particular along with the HW50, I think.

Also a great note about how air guns, and springers in particular, can help your overall shooting, as small things can matter more.............
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:42 am

Very nice rig and even better results. But, you're talking in code that I haven't been able to decipher. What exactly is a "HW30S Laminate"? I think I figured out the "177" part!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 am

The HW is the brand. Stands for Herman Weichrauch (or now Weihrauch Sports), a manufacturer of air guns in Germany. Weihrauch has been in the air gun business for over 100 years. HW rifles were first imported into this country under the Beeman name and given Beeman model numbers. For instance the HW30S is also known as the Beeman R7, essentially the same rifle with minor differences in the stock and other features. Note that not all Beeman rifles were HWs, given that Beeman also imported other brands, but the best known Beemans were made by HW and Beeman and HW actually collaborated on the design of some air guns like the Beeman P1 (HW45). HW now imports rifles, directly, in this country, but you can still buy some of the Beeman versions.

HWs and their Beeman counterparts are famous for their superb triggers, construction quality and, of course, accuracy. HW makes all types of air guns, but their spring piston guns have always been their mainstay and are regarded as the standard in spring piston design.

The little HW30S/Beeman R7 is a long time favorite of shooters around the world. It's the lowest velocity spring piston gun they offer (the HW50S is the next step up in velocity. Have that one, too.) The HW30S is so light and handy, so accurate and so easy to cock and shoot that it is the most used air gun in many air gun collections, mine included. It's the perfect little gun for indoor use or backyard fun.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for all that; as usual, the education here never stops! Very interesting and you can buy them on Amazon! Amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/Weihrauch-HW30S- ... B005IHSW00

Just what we all need: another gun for the radar!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 am

NCG
Have you seen the new Benjamin Fortitude coming out? Also I see Benjamin is coming out with the shoebox compressor along with another company. The other company may be making the Benjamin for them dont know. But the Fortitude looks to be a nice rifle and with those little compressors Im betting the PCP market will grow a bunch.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:34 am

Haven't looked at the new Benjamins much, but glad to see them coming out with more and more models. PCP is really the focus of all research and development in air guns, currently, and my experiences with the affordable PCPs like the Benjamins has been very positive. Love spring piston guns and they will always be my main shooters, but no denying that PCPs are more shooter friendly for new air gun shooters.

I recently "re-discovered" the advantages of PCP shooting over the summer while recovering from my bad neck injury. Was finding it too difficult to operate my spring piston guns and definitely my pumpers, so dusted off the PCPs and started shooting them a lot. We use scuba tanks for fills, so I could manage that, physically. The PCPs really kept me shooting during the worst of my recovery.

Oh, yeah, I am anxiously awaiting the new affordable shoe box compressors, same as a lot of other air gun shooters. I think it will be a game changer and a huge boost for air gun shooting.
0 x