Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PCP air rifle on a budget

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: PCP air rifle on a budget

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:13 pm

NCG
When you fill your guns from scuba tank are those tanks you have just filled to 3000 psi? Also when you hook up the rifle to the tank you are just cracking the valve to fill the gun aren't you? Thanks Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Al, not sure what the psi rating is on the scuba tanks, but I suspect it is in that rating range, yes.

We use a connector with its own gauge between the tank and the gun. To fill, we attach the gun reservoir to the quick connect on one end of the connector, close the relief valve on the connector (under the the gauge), then crack the valve on the scuba tank. Fill to the psi rating on the connector gauge (or use one on the gun if it has one). To release the gun, you shut off the scuba tank, bleed off the relief valve, then disconnect the gun. Only takes a minute or so.

0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks NCG. Still back and forth with this idea. There isn't anyone in my area who fills these tanks. Seems like it would be more feasible to me to wait until some of the shoebox compressors become available. Until then for me its pump with a hand pump or develop the shooting a springer skill. Which Im not opposed to doing its just a decision to make. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:49 am

Al, I use the hand pump. It's a workout, but a good one. I blew out a seal in the pump over the winter. That was a project, but only a ten dollar fix with a new seal kit. Once you get the hand pump, you will be hooked. You will want scuba tanks, a shoebox pump and many more rifles.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:39 am

Hi Dave
Good to see you back. Im not against the workout or the pump its kind of a time thing for me. I have a dive shop here that will fill scuba tanks to 3000 psi. but time you figure out price of used tanks and the filling gear guy might as well spend a little more for the shoebox compressor. They charge 15.00 a fill. Not sure how many fills one would get out of one scuba tank. Ive been looking at the shoebox compressor at Pyramid air for sale for 500.00 They dont have any avaliable yet but they keep saying there coming soon. Im also really liking what I see for the Hatsun AT44 QE. I was wondering what NCG and you had to say about those. It looks like a nice rifle. Al
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:39 am

The budget is going up :lol:

It never goes down, does it :D
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:26 pm

What Budget
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Al, I don't have any experience with Hatsun. I like the idea of the shoebox pump. I'm glad I started out with a pump. I can take it with me and top off if I need to. You could always take a tank for that too.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 am

I suspect I will shot more air guns when my yard is done. I’m not shooting much now but I should be done with the yard next summer. I’m also not posting much and when I do get online I check out the range reports first. So keep these reports coming.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am

Will do. I've been doing more air gunning than I usually do in the summer. Been a lot easier to manage a short session of air gun shooting in the back yard during my recovery than packing up the car and driving out to the club range and then cutting the session short for lack of stamina. The good news is that my recovery is now almost complete, so hope to do more shooting of all kinds. Really learned more appreciation for shooting air guns at home with this experience, though. It's kept me shooting this summer.
0 x