Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PCP air rifle on a budget

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: PCP air rifle on a budget

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Mags wrote:Thought Diana's were made in Germany. I couldn't find any web references to them being made in China.

https://hardairmagazine.com/wp-content/ ... er-HAM.jpg

Mags here is a complete review on the gun if you scroll down picture above sights and scope on the side of the receiver it says made in China. Diana teamed up with this China MFG to make the gun. You are right most of the springers are made in Germany. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for pointing that out with the picture. I don't see the url for the review you are referring to.
BigAl52 wrote:
Mags wrote:Thought Diana's were made in Germany. I couldn't find any web references to them being made in China.
https://hardairmagazine.com/wp-content/ ... er-HAM.jpg

Mags here is a complete review on the gun if you scroll down picture above sights and scope on the side of the receiver it says made in China. Diana teamed up with this China MFG to make the gun. You are right most of the springers are made in Germany. Al
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 pm

1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:01 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks for the video, Al, and I do appreciate keeping the air gun thread going, too.

For those of you contemplating shooting air guns, that rifle is a good example of why PCP rifles are considered state of the art in the airgun world.

For you hunters, especially, take note of that 28 plus pounds of energy. That's actually twice as much or more than you need to hunt rabbits and squirrels with an airgun. People have been doing it with 10 to 12 fpe air guns and even less for many years. Note, too, that there is NO piston gun that will get you those kinds of energy numbers and the ones that even tickle that 20 ft pounds of energy level number have a horrendous cocking effort and equally nasty recoil, making them difficult to shoot, not to mention noise, not to mention being very hard of scopes. A PCP gets you all that fpe with no recoil, no special technique needed to shoot, can use any scope, and are typically the quietest class of airgun.

Note, too, the regulator feature. This used to a feature found only on high end PCPs, but now is becoming standard at all price levels. A regulated PCP compensates for drops in pressure as the reservoir empties to keep velocity constant. This gives you more useable shots per fill. On my non regulated PCP guns, I'll have an ideal range of pressure where the velocity stays fairly constant. On either side of that range, though, I'll have enough difference in velocity to affect point of impact, so I'll have to watch that gauge and fill before it gets too low or count shots to stay in the optimum range. My Discovery is a good example. If I fill it to the max and then let it fall to the minimum, I can usually get about 26 shots. Of those 26 shots, though, only 18 of them are useful for the sake of velocity staying constant, so for the sake of accuracy, I have to fill before I get to the minimum.

Also note the repeater feature. These PCPs are the only field/hunting rifles that have repeater capability and it's now pretty much standard on PCPs rifles. Maybe no a big deal for target work, but from experience hunting, I can tell you that cocking a springer or pumping up a classic pump is noisy, sometimes enough to spook game.
I was also looking at the Daystate Huntsman Regal xl. There is one reviewer that said this gun doesn't need a regulator as he gets a lot of shots with his. They also do make it in a model with a regulator. I know its at the upper end of the scale price wise but it sure is one nice PCP air rifle.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Another gun that I've been looking at (dreaming about) is the HW100. Gets great reviews and it's a brand I know and trust.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:41 pm

NCG
I can see why you like them. This guy with his videos cracks me up but heres another video on the HW-100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=762032QA-rA
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55