Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Crosman 1322 versus Pop Can

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Crosman 1322 versus Pop Can

Post by daytime dave » Tue May 08, 2018 7:36 am

You can pump past the recommended levels, but you don't get much in return. You certainly may push a seal past it's limit with continued over pumping, then it's not much fun to change them out. They will stay good for years and years if not over done.

However, people who push the limit enjoy it usually. If you get some good results or photos, please share them with us. You could always mod your 1377 and `1322 as well. Plenty of after market stuff out there.

I like the results Conax got with his soda can.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 08, 2018 9:58 am

I would add that even staying with the recommended max for pumps on any pumper is never the best for consistent velocities and, therefore, accuracy. On my Benjamin and Sheridan pump rifles, it's been long established that the mid range of 4-6 pumps gives the most consistent shot-to-shot velocity. Also, as Dave noted, if you stay in this mid-range of recommend pumps, your gun may never need a seal repair. Let me also add that, back in the day, when I used a Sheridan pump rifle for a lot of squirrel and rabbit hunting, I never went past 6 pumps and did fine. With air gun hunting, it's all about accurate pellet placement, not power.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks, and I can agree.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 pm

daytime dave wrote:You can pump past the recommended levels, but you don't get much in return. You certainly may push a seal past it's limit with continued over pumping, then it's not much fun to change them out. They will stay good for years and years if not over done.

However, people who push the limit enjoy it usually. If you get some good results or photos, please share them with us. You could always mod your 1377 and `1322 as well. Plenty of after market stuff out there.

I like the results Conax got with his soda can.
Actually, in the interests of truth and science, the pop was warm and I gave it 4 shakes before shooting it from 10 feet away.
If you watch the vid you'll see I got soda pop (with sugar in it) on my camera!
:lol:
My son tried the same trick on a cold beer and it only shot through it with some beer spurting.. Warm pop blows up better than cold beer, if anyone is interested.

I used 10 pumps on a thick plastic gallon water jug full of water. The pellet got in, damaged the back making a leak but never shot through.
When the water was all leaked out, then it would shoot clear through and out.

It's a lot of fun for a $50 gun.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Tue May 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I also have some low end ballistic info. With my 13 grn pellets and one pump, at 18 feet it shot 1 1/2" low, 2 pumps was right on, and 3 pumps was a half inch high. So the lack of velocity at 1 pump had it dropping like a rock. One pump wouldn't punch through a cardboard box, but would pass through thinner card stock, like a pop carton.

6 pumps bounced off the nice quality safety glasses included in the deal. Got me in trouble ricochetting in the basement.. :mrgreen:
It only marred the plastic. Tough glasses they are.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue May 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Conax wrote:
daytime dave wrote: My son tried the same trick on a cold beer and it only shot through it with some beer spurting..
Cold beer! Yes, one can have lots of fun for $50. But, I try to enjoy every drop of cold beer.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue May 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Conax wrote: 6 pumps bounced off the nice quality safety glasses included in the deal. Got me in trouble ricochetting in the basement.. :mrgreen:
...every mother's nightmare. Glad you were wearing them.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Conax wrote: 6 pumps bounced off the nice quality safety glasses included in the deal. Got me in trouble ricochetting in the basement.. :mrgreen:
...every mother's nightmare. Glad you were wearing them.
:mrgreen:
I have prescription safety glasses so i can shoot straighter :P
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 pm

GFK wrote:
Conax wrote:
daytime dave wrote: My son tried the same trick on a cold beer and it only shot through it with some beer spurting..
Cold beer! Yes, one can have lots of fun for $50. But, I try to enjoy every drop of cold beer.
I knew what we did was wrong,, :(
1 x