Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gamo Bone Collecter Maxiumm

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Gamo Bone Collecter Maxiumm

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Anyone have this model and whats your opinion on it. I went looking at the local Scheels store today they have this model and some others. Seems like everyone I look at on line in the 200.00 and under range have about the same ratings of the popular brands anyway. Doesnt seem to be a clear cut winner. Im not wanting to spend 300 on a pellet gun just something to play with in the back yard once in a while and have a little fun with. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Gamo Bone Collecter Maxiumm

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Can't give you a review since I've never shot one, but looking at the specs and my experience with both gas and spring piston guns, I can tell you this.

The listed advantages of gas pistons over spring pistons are mostly marketing hype via vastly exaggerating the supposed downsides of spring piston guns to the point of being downright fraudulent. Gas piston guns don't recoil any less, they just have a different kind of recoil and, for some reason, the recoil on gas piston guns is harder on scopes. The biggest issues with gas piston guns is that, at the low end price range, they don't offer anything other than max power models and max power in any piston gun comes with a lot of trade offs, mostly ease of use and accuracy.

1300 fps in any piston gun is going to be a challenge to shoot with accuracy and especially so in a gun that weighs less than six pounds. I don't care what gizmos they add to the gun to reduce recoil. Recoil will be substantial at that power level and it's that unique recoil that makes piston guns a challenge to shoot. Furthermore, no air gun with a velocity over the speed of sound (1300fps on this one) is going to shoot accurately. All premium air guns stay under 1100 fps (speed of sound) for the sake of pellet stability. The only way to get down to that velocity is to use expensive extra heavy pellets. This kind of power is used for hunting, but is way more than you need for backyard work. For backyard plinking, you'll be much happier in terms of accuracy and ease of use with something in the 600 fps to 900 fps rating and even those velocities are useful for hunting.

I do understand not wanting to spend 300 dollars, but on a piston gun, the difference between a $200 gun and a $300 gun is night and day in every way.

$200, though, will get you a very nice pump up pneumatic or a very easy to shoot low power single pump pneumatic. These guns can be shot just like an ordinary 22 rifle, no special technique required and with the multiple pump guns, you can tailor accuracy to backyard needs. $200 will still get you a vintage Sheridan Bluestreak or a Benjamin 397/392. Either one will last a lifetime and have more quality than any Game ever made. Even the all plastic Crosman pumps are easy to shoot and accurate and come in at even lower prices.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks NCG I knew you would chime in here. As a kid my neighbor had a 22 cal Crosman pump and that thing with 10 pumps would trash a rat. I read about the Sheridans and the Benjamins then and still would like to have one now. I will look around for a Sheridan and see if I can find one. If you see one in good shape let me know and I will try to get it bought. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 am

I agree with everything NCG said. I also recommend a Benjamin pump for varmint work or hunting. I will add that the reason I got the Benjamin NP2 (gas piston) was specifically for hunting. I was told not to hunt with springer rifles because keeping the spring compressed for a long period, like while hunting, would harm the spring. I can carry the gas piston gun cocked and ready as long as necessary.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Ive been looking around and see that the 392 and 397 are both for sale on Amazon. I was also looking at the pcp air rifles. Wow you can really spend some cash on these air rifles. 450.00 a rifle and 350 for a tank to fill it. Im not sure are local general air supply company will fill the tanks but I bet they would. Its kind of fun to research this and there is quite a few videos on you tube. I might take a look at the rifle you have Dave. Just looking to have some back yard fun and may chase away some of the pests that are around. Al
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 pm

air rifle .. :shock: .. when I read Bone Collector, I pictured Al with a S&W 460 Bone Collector in his hand .... one of our boys has one and its a hosssss
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Hosss is right. Had a Smith 460 and, actually, the recoil was manageable. It was that nasty concussion and blast that wore me out, fast. Face felt like it had been baked in an oven, afterwards. Very accurate, though, amazingly so.

AL, the 397/392s are very durable workhorses and have plenty of power even for hunting. I'm partial to the 397s and have several vintage early 90s versions, a couple with scopes and one with a peep. (You could probably dig upside of my posts under the Air Guns section.) 177 cal pellets in these pumpers will give better velocity and trajectory and you always get a better selection and availability of 177 pellets at a local level. For target work in the yard, I use 4 pumps and go to 6 for 50 yard work. If you shop around you can probably find a used one for even less, though the older vintage pre-Crosman or very early Crosman versions with walnut stocks hold their value and won't get you much of a price break.

Here's one of my early 397s with a walnut stock and a scope. Have done under an inch groups at 50 yards with it. Got lucky and found it at a pawn shop for $120 without the scope.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Hosss is right. Had a Smith 460 and, actually, the recoil was manageable. It was that nasty concussion and blast that wore me out, fast. Face felt like it had been baked in an oven, afterwards. Very accurate, though, amazingly so.
I have to tip my cap to anyone who considers a 460's recoil to be manageable .. ;) .. at full power for both, I'm very content to fire our 44 Mag and leave the 460 to others
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 am

BigAl52 wrote: I might take a look at the rifle you have Dave. Just looking to have some back yard fun and may chase away some of the pests that are around. Al
Al,

I just did a quick count in the man cave. I have 11 capable air rifles that will satisfy your end statement. Also one air shotgun. All in all, get a Crosman 397. You will be well served. Put a scope on it and it will reach out to 50 yds as NCG says with good accuracy. Be careful though. I started with a 397 nickel plated rifle about 20 or so years ago. Now there are a "few" more. :lol:
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 am

As for the 460 and recoil, you have to keep in mind that I am a reformed recoil junkie, though I sometimes still fall off the wagon. :)

I could probably write a book on all the advantages of shooting air guns, but it's something you'll have to try for yourself and see how it works for you. I hope that, so far, we've shown you don't have to spend big bucks to get a good shooting air rifle.
0 x