Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Backyard Springer Range Report

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Backyard Springer Range Report

Post by Henry88 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:31 pm

North Country Girl....Made You Look :D

No seriously guys, this is tough. I can only say that any of you that haven't fired a springer have no idea how temperamental these things can be; at least the two that I have owned.

This is the Walther Terrus. Ammo is the 8.3 gr RWS Superdomes. The range is 25 yds. shouldn't be that tough right ?
terrus 006.JPG
terrus 003.JPG
Well it took an hour of practice to produce this group from a rest :lol: The shot to the right was the first, the rest at least hit the target
terrus 010.JPG
My problems I was able to identify? Well for one putting my pinky under the grip (like you do a single action). Believe it or not, that is enough to toss the round. I'm thinking it's prevending the muzzle from rising, wasn't even aware I was doing it. Same thing, putting my left hand under the grip hand.

Also finding the balance between how much pressure I'm putting against my shoulder vs pressure on the grip. Yes I'm serious.

You also have to place you hand in the EXACT same place on the fore stock. Don't cup that hand or again you got a flyer.... :D

I found it helpful to mark a spot on the stock to terminate my grip in the same place. That worked great, but I hope I don't mar that beautiful stock :?
terrus 009.JPG
So there it is. You would have to go through this yourself to comprehend how NCG can shoot these things offhand.

More to follow................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Backyard Springer Range Report

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm

I am impressed. You did very well and, most importantly, you learned some very valuable lessons about shooting these air guns. Consistency, consistency, consistency, is one. Beware too much pressure of the buttstock against the shoulder is another. You need to leave enough room between your shoulder and the gun to not interfere with the gun's rearward movement with recoil. If you apply too much pressure, you get varying amounts of bounce shot to shot, which changes the POI, accordingly. Same reason for very light, open grip with the left hand. Allow the gun to slide. Very tough to firm hold these guns because it's very hard to duplicate the exact same pressure you apply to your hold for every shot. Tiny changes in pressure points cause changes in POI. The fewer the pressure points needed in your hold, the better.

Another good lesson you learned is pressure applied to the gun with your trigger hand. I no longer even wrap my trigger hand around the pistol grip. I actually support the gun with my trigger hand by cradling the trigger guard with an open palm, with my thumb resting, lightly, against the side of the stock, never around the stock. Again, the idea is not to interfere with the movement of the gun during recoil.

Lastly, be sure to always check for tightness of all the mount screws in the stock. They can work loose during a session, particularly on new guns while breaking them in. Changes in screw tightness also cause changes in POI and wreck accuracy. If you're accuracy starts to go south on you during the middle of a session, screws having worked loose is a common culprit.

The challenge of shooting these spring piston airguns for we diehard springer shooters is addictive, though, because once you master the technique, these are amazingly accurate airguns.

Again, keep up the good work and keep shooting. Pellets are cheap.

P.S. The Walther is a fine spring piston airgun. Still another lesson learned by using a great spring piston gun, not a cheapie. Super model that'll take yours far as you want to go. Just holler if you ever have questions. Thrilled to see you taking up the challenge. Good for you.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Great shooting.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Great shooting and self analysis.

Also another great bit of advice from one of the resident firearms advisers.

Thank you both.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks NCG and RR. Coming from two of the best shooters, it means a lot.

NCG trying to keep track of all that you said, while trying to concentrate on the target is almost too much :lol:

Once I'm at the point that I can hit the target from a rest I will try this free standing. I'm also going to get more pellets or varying weights to see what the gun may prefer. I know you like domes, but have you ever told us what pellets in particular you like for 25 yds?
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:17 am

Nice shooting! Image

Some springers respond best to a light grip - such as the 'Artillery Hold' - while others like to be held with a firmer grip. The only way to decide which one works best for your rifles is to try 'em and see. ;)

I find these days that my PCP's are becoming closet queens. My two main springers - both Weihrauch 97K's, one in .177 and one .22 - have become my 'goto' guns. I enjoy the challenge of being able to shoot them accurately (sometimes :lol: ). Whenever I miss, I know it isn't the rifle. It's because I've done something wrong, like moving my head before the shot has landed etc.

Your self-analysis is definitely going to make you a better springer shooter. Like you have said, there are sometimes too many things to try to remember, but the main thing is to just enjoy what you're doing. The tin cans won't mind if you miss now and again! :D
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Les is spot on about having fun. Keep sessions short, end on a good shot and enjoy.

Yes, lot's to remember, but the only way to get all those things on automatic is practice and more practice. Having everything down on automatic mode is important. If you're thinking about any one element of the shot as far as hold and so on as you touch that trigger, you're setting yourself up for a miss. The only thing you should have in your head when you touch that trigger is your sight picture. By the way, this is exactly the way you become a good shot with any type of gun. It's why airgun shooting is such great practice for shooting powder guns. Everything you learn with airguns, even springers, can be used when shooting any kind of gun.

Henry, air guns are funny things. Two guns of the exact same model can often prefer different pellets. As for domed pellets, my two brands of choice are JSB and H&N. The H&N FTT (Field Target Trophy) 8.64 grams is a favorite for many of my airguns, especially my under lever Air Arms and HWs. It's a very well known pellet in the airgun community. The other brand is JSB in the Exact line, also a very popular premium pellet. I use the lighter JSB 7.33s and 7.87s in my lighter springers and then move up to the heavier 8.44s for the higher velocity shooters like your Walther. You'll not likely find these in your local gunshop, though. I order mine from Pyramidair and if you order enough at one time, you get a break on price.

At 25 yards, though, you should be able to do well with any type of pellet, other than maybe wadcutters. It's when you start to hit 35 yards and beyond that the domed pellets show their stuff.
2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Hey gang, going to resurrect this thread. Basically.............yeah I guess about 1.5K rounds later.
I shoot the RWS superdomes even though they don't completely seat into the breach,but they are consistent; may need a tool.......
Apparently, the breach on the Terrus is not flared. Office Space :D

I know NCG likes the H&N "Field Trophy" or something like that, but they're a little more $$$, and I'm not NCG :lol: .

Anyway, performed the 1K round maintenance to Walther specs, and have nothing negative to say 500 rounds after that. Not a screw has come loose.

Range Reports to follow...........

Edit to add: Also wanted to add that this has the UTG Leapers Droop Compensating base which I believe adds 10" at 30yds, or something like that, but it seems that a lot of these springers do shoot low (droop), and to me this is a no brainer. If you look closely at the second photo, you can see the slope.

BTW the UTG scope is no slouch either :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x