Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Crosman Pellets

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Crosman Pellets

Post by Henry88 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:45 am

Hey guys,

Been having an accuracy problem with basically both my airguns lately and it's kind of been driving me crazy. Airguns have always been kind of a black magic to me, and so I figured the cause of the problem was most likely myself. Usually shoot Crosman Premier HPs

Anyway, haven't shot this one in a few weeks, mostly cause it's been so erratic, but thought I'd give it a shot, and it was about half charged far as I knew.

So shooting at some beer cans (I'm drinking coffee :D ) and yeah, first shot right on, second shot high right, third shot a little left, and so on. I'm thinking the barrel's leaded. Take a look, doesn't look bad. Figured I'd run out the CO2 and switched to Diablo Basics just to see, and suddenly I'm hitting right on every time. Better yet, as the CO2 Drained the shots got lower but stayed right on the Y-axis. None of this walking all over the place :)

Tonight I took the barrel off and cleaned it and setup a target a little over 25yd lit with a flashlight :lol: and took a few shots from a rest > first one way low 6 oclock >1st shot pierces second canister > second shot a little higher and so on until after about 12 shots they were all going through the same hole.

And this was after taking the scope off and putting it back on with no adjustments. It also shot the 7g Daisy wadcutters well.

The only thing I can think of that changed are the Crosman Pellets. You can also feel how the Crosmans are inconsistent when you put them in the breech, while the German pellets are the same; but that has always been true, but they were still accurate.

Anybody else experiencing any problems with the Crosman Premiums?

Maybe I just got two bad tins (500), or maybe I should stop buying them at Walmart?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Crosman Pellets

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:06 am

It happens from time to time. I know a lot of guys that weigh and sort their pellets. I don't think the metal tin Crosman pellets are anywhere near the consistency of the ones in the cardboard box. That said, I shoot mostly JSB pellets now. The skirts are softer and even the ones that are slightly deformed blow out and engage the rifling when you shoot them.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 am

Great to see you shooting airguns. You nailed it with narrowing it down to the difference in pellets. I've found that air guns are as picky, or even more picky, than rimfires as to what you feed them. Even two airguns of the exact same model can prefer different pellets.

My experience with Crosman pellets is similar to yours and that of a lot of air gunners. As with any pellet model, some of my guns like them and some don't. When I do shoot Crosmans, though, I avoid the ones in the tin and go only with the brown box variety. A lot of us find that the bulk brown box versions of the same exact pellet have better consistency than the ones sold in tins. Why, I can't say. Just the way it is. Consistency wise, the ones sold in tins can be a crap shoot. I don't buy those, anymore.

Also, in my experimenting with pellet designs, I've found that the only design that gives me the accuracy I want past 30 or 35 yards is a domed pellet and, of course, they are superbly accurate at any distance. HPs, pointed pellets and other hunting designs so on do fine out to that 30 or 35 yard mark, but the domed pellet is king at 50 yards. Have yet to find any exception, regardless of brand.

By the way, for anyone new to air guns, those high grade, very expensive match wadcutter pellets are designed specifically, for 10 meter shooting for the sake of cutting clean holes and scoring. Once past 10 meters, the wadcutter design starts to lose accuracy, fast. I can get decent accuracy with wad cutters out to about 25 yards, but past that, other designs give me much better accuracy.

Hope this helps.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies.........

I have read that same thing about the boxed CPHPs and the tins, it seems in countless places, Yellow forum included. I had to conclude it was an internet urban legend, but now you two guys are saying it..... :roll: makes me think I'm going to give it a try.....the thing is they're not really cheaper even in bulk, so that may be an indication of something.

But yes NCG I did know about the limitations of the wadcutter and knew I was at maximum range close to 30yds, but they were all I had. The $2 for 250 Daisy 7g wadcutters seem to do very well too. There are 2 or 3 shots on the target (above) with those.

I started to wonder if maybe this gun just likes the lighter pellets?

BTW I have plenty of the RWS superdomes but they don't fit into the breech of this QB78 well, too tight (can tell even through the bolt).

So that's it. I have a lot of computer knowledge about this, but lack some practical experience, and have shot maybe 5K CPHPs, but the last two tins have caused me a lot of aggravation.

Thanks again guys...........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 pm

You're very welcome. These little challenges as to what a gun likes or does not likes one of the things I enjoy about air guns.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:19 pm

I keep thinking about adding a pellet gun to the mix. I think back to when the kids were all still home and in school. We'd sit up on the raised back deck at our old house, ten feet up, and shoot at ice cubes tossed into the grass below. :P A great way to move into sunset, and NO mess from targets to clean up later. We had a couple entry level guns bought at walmart... but the kids enjoyed them. ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:32 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:I keep thinking about adding a pellet gun to the mix. I think back to when the kids were all still home and in school. We'd sit up on the raised back deck at our old house, ten feet up, and shoot at ice cubes tossed into the grass below. :P A great way to move into sunset, and NO mess from targets to clean up later. We had a couple entry level guns bought at walmart... but the kids enjoyed them. ;)
I don't give many guarantees, but in this case I feel pretty confident BoM you will not regret it. There really is no difference, certainly accuracy wise, between a .22lr and a good pellet gun; other than the loading process which if precharged is nothing more than operating a bolt or whatever means of loading the pellet.

The QB78 of this thread I got from pyramid air delivered for $120 (no tax). I stuck a 20 year old asian scope on it, and there you are :D

I can shoot an honest 50 shots with 2 12oz CO2 cartridges. All I do is cycle the bolt and put in the pellet. It is strange when I pull back the bolt and nothing ejects :D

Myself, I wouldn't buy it at Walmart but get something decent. Walmart does offer pretty much anything online; then have it shipped to the store where you can inspect it before signing. North Country Girl will probably chip in with her experience here shortly.

The most important thing to decide is what kind of gun to get, there are so many...........

Good Luck
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks. My problem has been not knowing WHAT to buy. I don't want to spend a fortune as we are cutting back on spending these days. But, like you said, I don't want to buy a cheapo inaccurate walmart special either. I may start looking around this spring. The VA had an air rifle program and sent three shooters out west a couple years ago to shoot in a wheelchair event. One of our friends did pretty well for his first time competing at that level. The gun, hard case, shooting jacket, and spotting scope he used out west cost more than his car. He has a nice car. 8-)
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Yeah BoM, like anything, the salesman's first question is, "So BrokenolMarine, how much were you thinking of spending?" :D

But the way I see it, at least as far as rifles, the choices are:

1) Springer > One pump between 20 and 30 lbs of force. Very consistent and powerful but takes a lot of practice to master, otherwise accuracy can suffer. Also heavy and requires rated scope.

2)Multipump > Pain to pump but no recoil or special artillery hold to worry about.

3) Precharged > usually the favorite of the pros but $$$$$ and can be a nusance to recharge. The QB78 of this thread is a poor man's version of this, and can be modified to be a regular precharged (QB79) as well as add a 10 round rotary mag so all you have to do is work the bolt :)

https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-qb78-air-rifle.html

https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-qb79-air-rifle.html

This thing has a cult following BTW, and is kind of the 1022 of chinese airguns.

https://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-ar2079a.html

http://www.archerairguns.com/chinese-airguns-s/1.htm
beeman-ar2079a-4.gif
QB79PCPRepeater177-2.jpg
And 4? Can't really think of a 4th?

So there you are as I see it......
Last edited by Henry88 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Can you recharge the cannister using the shop compressor?
How much will I spend?
Depends on what I can get for each step when I do my shopping.
Certainly not four figures. :o
I might go higher if I can get nice accuracy and low maintenance with squirrel power. Tina would put that to good use around here.
Quiet early in the morning.
0 x