Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Been a good outdoor airgun season

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Been a good outdoor airgun season

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Just a reminder, here, not to overlook airguns for anyone who loves shooting. Yes, as per my recent post, have expanded our backyard shooting to include some quiet rimfire loads, but I still feel far more comfortable shooting the airguns. No matter how quiet the rimfire loads, airguns are still safer to shoot in the backyard.

Haven't posted much about airguns over the last spring, summer and fall, because I mostly shoot spinner, steel and silhouette targets with the airguns on our backyard range and kind of hard to do a show and tell on those kinds of targets. Yup, it's been mostly my usual offhand shooting, too, only resorting to paper punching to sight in or do an accuracy check. Once, again, here's part of my setup. Have spinner and silhouettes set up around the yard and even back in the woods, too. Fun, fun, fun.

Have settled in to mostly shoot at 35 yards with the airguns, now. Oh, sure, I have done plenty of 50 yard shooting with the airguns, mostly because of the challenge and to prove it can be done, but 50 yards is pushing it with pellets. Pellets have a very low ballistic coefficient, even compared to the anemic BCs of 22 LR bullets, not to mention weighing a fraction of what a 22 LR bullet weighs. Oh yeah, accurate airgun shooting is possible at 50 yards with pellets and have proven it many times, but it takes a day of perfect shooting conditions, as in NO wind to get it done. On the other hand, 35 yards and under is really home base for air rifle shooting. Have shot many nice groups at 35 yards with the air rifles, even with a breeze.

This week winter arrived with temps now not even breaking freezing and along with it our first snow. For me and my shooting, it marked the beginning of my indoor air gun shooting season, though I will step out to do some airgun work on some reasonably nice winter days.

Did some airgun shooting, though, this week, even with a touch of snow on the ground, this time with one of my favorites, the HW50S in .177 wearing a Nikon 3-9x Prostaff EFR.

And, just to get back in the paper punching mode for my indoor shooting, here's an offhand target at 35 yards on a 3" bull. Note that this is about the same as what I can do at 50 yards with the rimfires, so a good example of air rifle shooting relative to rimfire shooting.

Now get out there (or stay indoors) and start shooting those airguns. :)
4 x

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Been a good outdoor airgun season

Post by NoFlyZone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for posting this. I really NEED to get my Weihrauch out and shoot it. I also have a HW50S in .177. Mine has a Hawke AirMax 2-7x32 AO scope on it. Its not quite as fancy as your HW50S
I hate to admit it, but I've owned this one for a few years and it probably has less than 200 pellets through it.
But your post makes me what to get it out and shoot it some. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 am

Good work NCG, on doing some nice target work and for inspiring NoFlyZone to get his air rifle out. :D
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 am

For 35 yards standing with a springer, that is super human NCG. :D

This forum really need a fresh post, and this was excellent.

I was meaning to post a range report on my Walther Terrus, that after about 200 shots I am just starting to get comfortable with the hold, which BTW is totally different than my old springer, which makes your feat all the more incredible given the nature of springers...........
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks, folks. Oh, yeah, springers are different animals. No shortcuts to shooting them. Gotta love 'em, though. They tell me when I've made even the smallest change in my hold or technique. They're a good teacher.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:21 pm

I should do more with my airguns. The backyard is set up for 25 yards and all I have to do is go outside and shoot. I tend to just plink with the Red Ryder because I can leave it outside but under cover. Yes it will start to rust but its a $19.95 Walmart special. I haven't mastered the springers yet. They may be good teachers but I'm not a good student.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:33 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks, folks. Oh, yeah, springers are different animals. No shortcuts to shooting them. Gotta love 'em, though. They tell me when I've made even the smallest change in my hold or technique. They're a good teacher.
Speaking of different animals, I dropped in over at gunner this afternoon. Bearcatter is wondering where you have been.
I told him we kidnapped you. :D
Your wisdom and refreshing personality is in demand.

As always your range reports are well appreciated.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks, Seabee. If they want me, they know where to find me, then. This is home base for me, now. My fav.
4 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 am

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks, Seabee. If they want me, they know where to find me, then. This is home base for me, now. My fav.

:)
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks, Seabee. If they want me, they know where to find me, then. This is home base for me, now. My fav.
You deserve a raise.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater