Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Backyard range is now open.

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Backyard range is now open.

Post by tx gunrunner » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Looks like you need Trump there to drain the swamp .

Love your range
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 pm

I must admit, I am a little disappointed that NCG is not just shooting those mosquitos. I thought she'd have a trophy room of tiny half-wings and little needle noses....
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am

The only way I could win against the mosquitoes is if I was shooting a full auto air gun equipped with a thousand round magazine and, even then, I don't think I'd win. :)

Speaking about mosquitoes when shooting, just like to remind everyone about being careful with mosquito repellants that use DEET. DON'T get any on your gun stock. DEET is actually a very effective finish remover. Have actually used it in a pinch when refinishing a stock. Will gum up a nice stock finish in a hurry. It's why I prefer to wait to shoot for a time of day when the bugs aren't so bad, rather than lathering myself up with repellant.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 pm

North Country Gal wrote:The only way I could win against the mosquitoes is if I was shooting a full auto air gun equipped with a thousand round magazine and, even then, I don't think I'd win. :)

Speaking about mosquitoes when shooting, just like to remind everyone about being careful with mosquito repellants that use DEET. DON'T get any on your gun stock. DEET is actually a very effective finish remover. Have actually used it in a pinch when refinishing a stock. Will gum up a nice stock finish in a hurry. It's why I prefer to wait to shoot for a time of day when the bugs aren't so bad, rather than lathering myself up with repellant.

I did not know that. Thanks!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 pm

I live in a semi-desert area . There no water near my house . So no skeeters . I don't think I got bit 20X in 7 yrs I've lived here . My part of Tx is hot , dry and windy . My house electric is 100% from windmills here in part of TX and blows all the skeeter here in Tx north to NCG house . :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:28 pm

I used deet repellent to help unfrost my headlight covers. It really eats up the finish.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:53 pm

A neat trick we learned from fly fishing...

A grouchy old friend told me to take a dryer sheet, "bounce" I think is the brand we used, and stick it inside your hat. If the skeeters or little biting flies show up, rub your arms, face, back of your neck, etc; with the dryer sheet and tuck it back in your hat. Not only will your hair NOT suffer from static cling, but the nasty little biters, won't... bite. :?

I know, I know.... I was skeptical too. But wading a creek, years ago, through clouds of the little "bass-tards" and throwing a three weight fly rod after tiny wild trout... :P ... I realized I hadn't stopped to swat one bug, nor been bitten. Plus, I smelled like a spring morning.

(If you use this trick for fishing... wash your hands before tying on baits, unless you find the new earthworm scented dryer sheets. :shock: )

Anywho... I recalled this trick on my way down to my range last week to shoot the henry carbine, and with the heat and rain... the gnats have been bad the last month. Dryer sheet in the hat. No bites, and very few flying near me.
:lol:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:21 am

Actually, I have tried that trick and it really does work. Thanks for reminding me. Sure beats spraying yourself with that smelly DEET stuff.

Reminds me of a visit from a friend in London. She claims they have no mosquitoes, over there, and was very apprehensive about visiting our north woods because of all the stories she heard about the mosquitoes. She, too, had heard about the dryer sheet trick, so when she arrived, she had stuffed several boxes worth of dryer sheets in all her pockets, down her pants, in her socks, in her bra, basically anywhere she could stuff a dryer sheet. Hate to say it, but the dryer sheet odor around her made your eyes water. She did survive her north woods visit, but she stayed indoors most of the time. I felt sorry for her and did my best to make her comfortable. So hard for outdoor people like me, though, to understand how very different life must be for city folk like her.
2 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:09 pm

North Country Gal wrote: So hard for outdoor people like me, though, to understand how very different life must be for city folk like her.
X2
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 am

I think it is easier for the country mouse to survive a week in the city than it is for the city mouse to survive a week in the sticks.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member