Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Backyard range is now open.

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Backyard range is now open.

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:37 pm

For the last couple of years, our back yard air gun range has been located in a low, swampy, boggy area. That worked, okay, for awhile, but this last year has been very wet, so I actually had to put on rubber boots just to post targets. That, and the mosquitoes have made sitting at the bench miserable. Definitely time for a move.

The range is now up on higher ground on our lawn, with the one lone backstop just off the edge of the lawn a few feet back in the woods. The backstop consists of some old lumber we collected around the place, mostly from an old dock. Nice to get the old lumber cleaned out and recycled, so to speak. No need for a backstop with the bullet traps, of course, but the backstop will do nicely for keep pellets from getting sprayed all over the woods with the other targets. Don't care to fill up our woods with lead.

Have two benches setup to use with the one lone backstop. One bench is at 35 yards and one is at 50 yards. The 35 yard bench will be used the most because I consider 35 yards to be kind of a home base for air gun shooting. At 35 yards, most of my air guns are fully capable of shooting one ragged hole groups under a variety of shooting conditions. Can pretty much count on that kind of performance unless the weather turns very nasty.

That extra 15 yards out to 50 yards, though, turns air gun shooting into another game, completely. My better guns are still capable of shooting one hole groups at 50 - have done it with them - but it takes a day of perfect shooting conditions and me at the top of my game to get it done. Never something I can count on doing. At 50 yards, my more usual groups open up to half inch to inch and a quarter. Still a lot of fun, though, and, as always, the challenge is irresistible to me.

I also have to confess to adding a luxury feature to my new range. By design, the distance to the backstop from our elevated deck, just a step outside our kitchen door, is also 35 yards. Yup, I can just walk out our kitchen with a cup of fresh coffee, sit down in a lawn chair and do some shooting. Doesn't get any more decadent and sinful than that. :)

So, to break in our new range, I chose one of my favorite air guns. It's the Air Arms (made in England) ProSport underlever springer with a Nikon Prostaff EFR. Great offhand rifle.

Did a quick sight adjustment from a rest at the 35 yard bench, then proceeded to have fun with the metal targets, shooting offhand, of course.

"Home on the range" now takes on a new meaning. Life is good.
4 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Backyard range is now open.

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 pm

That's awesome. I would love to shoot at home but it would have to be BB guns. Neighbors are not exactly close but enough to hear the Henry go bang. Good looking range ya got there.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Good to see you will be on dry ground. Nice to get a view of your north woods.
The bark on that birch tree is beautiful.
And the gun.....beeeutiful.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 pm

RanchRoper wrote:That's awesome. I would love to shoot at home but it would have to be BB guns. Neighbors are not exactly close but enough to hear the Henry go bang. Good looking range ya got there.
Just curious RR but have you ever approached your neighbors about shooting? They may not be as against it as you think. I bet my neighbors are a lot closer than yours and I shoot the .22s.

You might be able to set up a little rimfire range there and have some fun. BTW, I stick to subsonics and quiets.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 am

Henry makes a good point. 22 LR quiet loads or 22 Short CBs are actually quieter than my spring piston guns or even my pneumatics when shot out of a 22 rifle. In fact, makes me nervous to shoot them in a rifle because I wonder if I got a squib load. They are that quiet. Prefer to shoot them out of my Contender pistols or revolvers and, even there, no louder than my piston guns. The only thing quieter is a good PCP air rifle that has been properly shrouded, which most are, and, even then, not much difference in noise.

Those bullet traps you see in my pics are rated for 22 LR, too.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:27 am

That new range looks like it will function much better. The other one had a better view.

Great shooting results as well. I look forward to seeing more results from the new range.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am

Looks to me like the yard work might be minimal to. Nice set up. City folk are jealous. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks, folks. Have to admit that I'm getting a little greedy, now. I dream about having an enclosed and heated 35 yard indoor range for winter shooting. I shoot at 10 meters in the basement, now, in winter months, but 35 yards would be nice. Or maybe even 50 yards. :)
3 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:12 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Thanks, folks. Have to admit that I'm getting a little greedy, now. I dream about having an enclosed and heated 35 yard indoor range for winter shooting. I shoot at 10 meters in the basement, now, in winter months, but 35 yards would be nice. Or maybe even 50 yards. :)
Living room/dining rooms are highly overrated. Go for it! ;)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:09 am

RanchRoper wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:Thanks, folks. Have to admit that I'm getting a little greedy, now. I dream about having an enclosed and heated 35 yard indoor range for winter shooting. I shoot at 10 meters in the basement, now, in winter months, but 35 yards would be nice. Or maybe even 50 yards. :)
Living room/dining rooms are highly overrated. Go for it! ;)
True, but where would I store all my bikes? :)
2 x