Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Home Range Report

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Home Range Report

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

I did a little more work on the range today. I had to put additional braces on the old boards as some were not in very good condition and I put some rock around the base. I have four more bullet traps on order.

I still need to paint it.
DSCN3232.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Home Range Report

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Good for you. Nice setup.

As for our range, I did the dirty deed and pulled all the target stands out of the swampy bog and have started to set things up on higher and drier ground, right in our yard. Will have only one shooting station, but one bench setup at 50 yards and another at 30 yards. 30 yards is the sweet spot for most air rifles. Any decent air rifle should be able to shoot one hole groups at 30. The 50 yard bench is for accuracy testing and pushing the limits to see what individual guns can do.

Have decided to eliminate all metal spinner targets and go only resettable pop up metal targets and, of course, bullet traps for paper targets. It's been my experience that ricochets, though not common, are most likely to happen with spinner targets. I do get some with the spinners, but never with the pop ups. I suspect it happens with the spinners because they have just enough give to allow a pellet to sometimes hit them a glancing blow at an angle, thus the ricochet. For those of you in a situation where ricochets are something that must be avoided, be warned. Not a safety issue for us, but they make me very uncomfortable, not knowing where that pellet goes.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Gene, here's some of resettable pop up targets I really enjoy. Have not experienced ricochet with these when used at 25 yards and beyond.

This one is similar to what they use in Field Target. To score a kill, you must hit that yellow paddle in the body enough for it to drop away and no longer be visible. A body hit is a no score. You can also vary the diameter of the yellow paddle to add more challenge. To reset the body paddle back up into position, you shoot that paddle underneath on the right. Been thinking of getting a few more of these and doing a walk through the woods shooting course.

This is one of my favorites. When you hit one of the four lower paddles with enough force, it folds back up, out of the way and out of sight. To reset and drop the paddles back in sight, you hit that single top paddle.

There are also resettable pop ups that incorporate their own bullet trap. No pic, but a nice option if you don't want lead scattered around the target.
3 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 am

Wow! Not everybody has Fort Laramie at the bottom of their garden, SH! ;)
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 am

Like everything, high class SirH

I really don't know why these airguns aren't more popular with shooters than they are; especially when they complain about not having time to go to the range.

You just created your own range.

For me, sitting around after my last swing shift shooting the empties with the Umarex P-08 that I got a copious amount of clips for.

140 good 400 fps+ shots with a 12g co2.

Life is good..............
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 am

Very nice
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 am

Henry88 wrote:Like everything, high class SirH

I really don't know why these airguns aren't more popular with shooters than they are; especially when they complain about not having time to go to the range.

You just created your own range.

For me, sitting around after my last swing shift shooting the empties with the Umarex P-08 that I got a copious amount of clips for.

140 good 400 fps+ shots with a 12g co2.

Life is good..............
Not to mention the savings on ammo. For what one single round of factory 45-70 ammo costs, I can shoot 200 pellets or so. No recoil or noise, either. :)
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24 pm

I don't seem to get many ricochets. Both backstops are offset about ten degrees from the shooting bench so the few ricochets go twenty degrees to the side. I'm surprised my Big Cat doesn't get more but it is powerful enough that the pellets lodge in the metal.
DSCN3243.JPG
I painted the objects bright so I can see them in the dark shadows.
DSCN3239.JPG
I lost the legs to this one so it doesn't spin.
DSCN3237.JPG
Here is the second backstop which I've posted about before.
DSCN3245.JPG
And of course the new one in full sunshine. This will be a morning range as in the afternoon the stop is in the shade and I am shooting into the sun.
DSCN3234.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:19 pm

SH, I don't like the new range at all. Seriously, where is the coffee? I'm hoping there's some at the shooting bench.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 am

ditto1958 wrote:SH, I don't like the new range at all. Seriously, where is the coffee? I'm hoping there's some at the shooting bench.
Wait till you see the shooting bench. :D
DSCN3257.JPG
DSCN3261.JPG
4 x