Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.177 ammo

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

.177 ammo

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm getting a fair supply of pellets. What I'm finding is good ammo isn't cheap. That tin of 500 Monster Diabolo was $9.99. I paid less for a brick of .22LR just eight years ago.
DSCN2903.JPG
Also shown are some BB's and cleaning pellets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: .177 ammo

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:07 pm

I like Daisy target pellets aren't to bad and the are cheap and almost as good as my high dollar pellets .. Now when it comes to BB's Avanti perfect and are super accurate and if you mike them you will see .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks John. I'm going to buy some of those Avanti's.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:04 pm

My high grade 177 guns do best with high grade pellets and these typically come in at 3 cents each for most, with a few running up to 3.6 cents, so still cheaper than most bulk 22 LR which starts at about 5 or 6 cents a round. Remember, though, this is an apples and oranges comparison. If we compare premium pellets to premium 22 LR match ammo, it's a much, much wider gap. Decent 22 LR target ammo starts at about 8 cents a round and runs up, quick, from there. Some of the premium grade stuff can run 40 or 50 cents each.

Some of our air guns, though, especially the classic pump ups do well with the basic Crosman domed pellets (note that accuracy is best with domed pellets once you get beyond 30 yards) at about 2 cents each.

If all you're doing is plinking and shooting spinner targets, shooting out to about 25 yards, pellets under 2 cents each are fine and some guns actually do better with some of the cheapest pellets, but this is the exception, not the rule. Cheap pellets are notoriously inconsistent and you'll often get quite a few deformed pellets in a tin, so literally not worth pinching pennies. Air gun shooting is challenging enough, as it is. Spend an extra penny, apiece, and get a pellet that shoots well in your gun.

How does pellet choice affect accuracy? Under 30 yards, a lot of pellets will shoot reasonably well in most air rifles. It's when we get past 30 yards that air rifles really show a preference and by the time we hit 50 yards, it's usually down to one or two specific types of pellets. In fact, once we move beyond that 30 to 35 yards, everything about air rifle shooting becomes more critical.

Hope this helps.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks Joanie, that did help.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm just putting it out there, I haven't done it, but if you can recover your pellets, you can re cast them if you know how. Just saying.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 pm

daytime dave wrote:I'm just putting it out there, I haven't done it, but if you can recover your pellets, you can re cast them if you know how. Just saying.
My bullet trap recovers them easily.
0 x

Hogstir
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hogstir » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:11 am

Another major advantage to using premium pellets is there is less weight variation among the pellets providing better consistency and accuracy.
Most air gun competitors will weigh and sort out even the premium pellets.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Sorry I missed this thread, funny how that can happen.

Anyway, I'm sure SirH has arrived at his conclusion, but for other reading the thread, I have noticed that the 7.9g Crosman Premier Hollow Points are almost universally praised on the net as the standard cheap pellet. I kind of look at them as the CCI standards or the pellet world.

The fact they are hollow points is a + for me also.
1 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:49 pm

22 pellets are even more outrageous. I just paid $10 for 200 H&N Baracuda Hunters and JSB Exact Diablos usually run around $12 for 250. Crosman Premier Ultra Mags about the cheapest accurate pellets I've found at around $9 for 500.
0 x