Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My beloved Sheridan Blue Streaks

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

My beloved Sheridan Blue Streaks

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Been off and on rain, up here, for the last couple of days and it looks like more to come, so in between rain storms, we've been dashing out to our backyard range and plinking at spinner and pop up targets with our airguns. Today, my gun of choice was a very special air rifle for me, the Sheridan Blue Streak. We actually have a small collection of 6 of these legendary 20 cal pump up airguns. A couple are beat up and those wear a scope or a red dot, but the others, such as this absolute mint Blue Streak, made in 1977, the one we were shooting, today, will stay all original.

The one exception to my all original rule for the mint Sheridans is this 1985 gun, which was a late enough vintage to be drilled and tapped for a peep sight at the factory, so it does wear a Williams peep.

So what makes these Sheridan Blue Streaks so special? Why have they become collectible? So many reasons. The guns were made to last and last and last with all metal and walnut construction. The pump action design is one of the simplest and most durable ever made. Should you find one that no longer shoots, a rebuild is simple. They are very accurate (have shot under an inch groups at 50 yards) and powerful enough to use for small game hunting. Indeed, there were years back in the 70s and 80s when a Sheridan was the only gun I owned and I used it to do a lot of squirrel and rabbit hunting. I also liked the fact that, unlike Benjamin and Crosman pumps, the Sheridans were all 20 cal, which made them just a bit more unique.

Our oldest Sheridan, made in 1968

A 1972 Blue Streak which I bought from the original owner with the original invoice and manual.

Yes, we also have several excellent Benjamin pumps, but one thing I find with the Sheridans is that they are easier to pump, though no less powerful, and they're also much easier to work on.

So here Bill and I were, this afternoon, shooting this mint 1977 Sheridan, plinking away at spinner and pop up targets out to 35 yards and thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Yes, we have some high dollar, fancy European air guns, too, but there is no airgun that brings back memories and is so special for me than this great American air gun. Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane with me. :)
4 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: My beloved Sheridan Blue Streaks

Post by Travlin » Wed May 17, 2017 12:44 am

Nice rifles and good photos. I have a Blue Streak that I ordered with a Williams F.P. rear site many years ago. The Sheridan .20 pellets seem to have a hardened nose and will shoot through a 3/4" pine board when given enough pumps.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 17, 2017 9:41 am

Those old cylindrical Sheridan pellets were fairly hard and offered great penetration. Used them for most of my hunting, back in the day, mostly because that was all I could find, locally. These JSB Exact 20s, though, do significantly improve accuracy.
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed May 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Love your reports, and the pretty rifles as always.
Wish I could set up a backyard range.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks, Seabee. By the way, I do shoot these in the house, too. Only takes 3 pumps to give indoor target accuracy.
0 x