Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Intro to PCP rifles: the Benjamin Discovery, Pt. 2

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Hogstir
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Intro to PCP rifles: the Benjamin Discovery, Pt. 2

Post by Hogstir » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 pm

North Country Gal wrote:The Regal is one fine air rifle. Congrats on that. Between that one and your 25 Mrod, you have some serious hunting air rifles.
I love that Regal. It's quiet and scary accurate.
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:07 pm

I've been dreaming of one of these,
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com

Don't know if or when it may happen, but I'm dreaming all the same.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Ok NCG I like your info and appreciate you sharing that with us. But I looked at these with great interest . So tell me why would one invest in all that equipment for filling these guns when with just a little more you could buy your own compressor to fill them and not worry about the scuba tank and other tank issues. Seems to me the compressor would pay for itself in a short time chasing down filling tanks and worrying about whether the tank was ok to fill. Just my take on it. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 am

Al, the problem is that a standard shop compressor will not work. Does not produce the pressure needed. You could buy an add on compressor called a shoebox compressor that works with your shop compressor (assuming you have a large shop compressor), but now you're talking the price of another expensive gun at a minimum, not to mention that it takes a long time to make a fill with these setups. The other option is to go all out and by a true dive shop high pressure compressor, but now you're into thousands of dollars.

For most of us, the most practical solution is to invest in scuba tanks and have a local shop do the fill. Note that scuba tanks are NOT cheap and that they must periodically get tested and certified to be safe. If your tank certification expires, dive shops will not do a fill for liability reasons.

The last option, of course, is a hand pump, but, again, these are special pumps. A standard bicycle tire pump won't work for the same reason that a standard shop compressor won't work - not enough pressure. As far as pumping being practical, it will depend on the gun you are trying to fill. The volume of the reservoir on the gun and its psi rating determines how much pumping is needed.

For example, the Benjamin Discovery rifle runs a fairly small volume reservoir at about the lowest psi rating there is in the airgun world of 2000 psi. Takes me 50 pumps (which get progressively harder) to reach that 2000 psi. That's good for about 20 or so shots and then it's time to fill, again. On the higher end, there are the larger 3000 pis reservoirs on rifles like my Marauder. That puppy puts me closer to 100 pumps to fill and, frankly, its beyond me, physically, to do it on a regular basis. Then there are some of the newer guns that run on even higher pressures than 3000 psi.

All in all, then, you can see why I prefer to shoot my springers or my pump ups like a Benjamin 397 or a Sheridan. No added expense, nothing else needed, no interrupting my shooting sessions to refill. For most of us shooting for fun or some hunting, these are the most practical.

Where PCPs really shine is for serious hunting or serious target completion. My Discovery, for instance, develops more fpe of energy than any other air gun I own. No special technique needed to shoot it. Light and easy to carry. Whisper quiet. No pumping needed while hunting. Holds 20 shots and that's plenty for a day in the squirrel woods.

For serious target work, PCPs rule. Springers are also used in some types of field target competition, but they have their own class because they really can't compete with the PCP stuff. PCP is state of the art in air gun technology. The high end Olympic air gun stuff is beyond anything as far as technology than and standard powder during gun (and has a price tag to match).
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 am

NCG
The visit with SH has awaken the childhood memories with me and I have been reading and looking at all of the air rifles. The Benjamin Discovery has great reviews as an entry PCP rifle. I also read about the Hill MK4 hand pump. They claim this pump is a much better pump than the other hand pumps. A couple of the reviews lead you to believe that using this pump its not as bad as one would think to use this method to recharge the discovery rifle. Keeping in mind that in know way would it be as easy as a scuba tank or one of the other available tanks for sale. Just wondered if you had this pump and if you had a comment on the Hill pump. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:42 am

It's great to hear!

I have a Hill pump that is specific to my Olympic grade PCP pistol. No doubt about, a Hill is a better pump. Don't think it will take any less effort or pumping than the standard Benjamin pump, though. It's mainly a difference in durability and lifespan. The Disco pump will need a rebuild, sooner.

As for the Disco, as I mentioned, it's the only rifle which is within my physical capability to pump. If you plan to use a Disco or any other PCP for hunting or even target work, via the pump method, I know some shooters who do the pumping the night, before. After a workout with the pump isn't the best time to target shoot. You'll want to give your heart a chance to calm down. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:56 pm

BigAl52 wrote:NCG
The visit with SH has awaken the childhood memories with me and I have been reading and looking at all of the air rifles. The Benjamin Discovery has great reviews as an entry PCP rifle. I also read about the Hill MK4 hand pump. They claim this pump is a much better pump the the other hand pumps. A couple of the reviews lead you to believe that using this pump its not as bad as one would think to use this method to recharge the discovery rifle. Keeping in mind that in now way would it be as easy as a scuba tank or one of the other avaliable tanks for sale. Just wondered if you had this pump and if you had a comment on the Hill pump. Al
With warmer weather coming I want to start using the 25 yard range more with better air guns. So I'm following this thread closely.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Currently the price of the air tanks that are all set up to fill the guns are just 100.00 more than the pumps. How many fills would one expect out of those smaller tanks? It also seems to me like Pyramid air has a bigger tank that could be set up to fill the guns with just a fill station. The only drawback I see there according to one reviewer was no gauge to see what remains in the tank. I have a local scuba shop in my town but Im not sure what they might offer as filling the tanks and selling used tanks. Al
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Have never kept track on how many fills I can get with one tank on the Disco because I have used the tanks to fill other PCPs, too. On a Disco, though., it one fill would get you a lot of fills.

As for your dive shop, you need to visit with them and see what they are willing to do. Most shops I've visited are okay with filling tanks for air gun use, but have heard a few are not. Unless you like pumping, going a tank is really the practical option, especially on the Disco. Means running back to the scuba tank after ever 20 or so shots for a fill, but that sure beats pumping.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:09 am

Al and Gene. Don't take this the wrong way, but as NCG has aptly pointed out, pumping an air rifle up to 3,000 psi is a task. The Discovery only needs to get to 2,000. As we all get older, you will want to pump that thing less and less. I just rebuilt my Benjamin pump over the winter. It was a ten dollar kit and a few hours learning how to do it. I'm still up for pumping all my rifles. I take the pump with me when I go to my parent's farm to shoot. I might need to repower. I usually top it off the night before hunting and leave the pump behind.

I'm saying this about the pump because I hope both of you will get the Discovery. It's a great rifle and will provide plenty of fun and accuracy. (Mine was not accurate from the factory, but a trip to the airgunsmith took care of that) Once you like the Disco, I'm almost certain you will want another. That most certainly will mean 3,000 psi. It meant that for me.

I still have many years of pumping left in me. As I get older, I might invest in a shoebox pump. I like to be self sufficient. I know, repeat, I know, I will not want to be pumping that pump when I'm older. I'm just throwing that out. In measured doses of pumps, getting to 3,000 psi isn't bad at all. Pacing yourself gets you there. Your heart will be working harder and you will not be ready to shoot for a bit.

Good luck in choosing. Don't forget a scope for the Disco.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member