Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Airgun

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: New Airgun

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:33 am

CO2 will change its pressure with temp more than compressed air. Most of the guys over on the air gun forum tell me, once things get below 50 degrees or so, they begin to notice a quick drop off in pressure and velocity, less so between 50 and room temp. That's the word I get, but I don't shoot CO2, so I can't back it up with personal experience. If I got one, it would be an indoor shooter, anyway, so not a factor.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm

I can confirm that there is a power reduction from CO2 guns in cold weather. I couldn't say at exactly what temperature the changes start, but start they definitely do.

We are limited to a maximum of 12 ft-lbs of muzzle energy (for air rifles) here in the UK, and it isn't unusual to notice a drop of between 1 to 3 ft-lbs of muzzle energy in cold weather.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Where did I hear 2 fps per degree ?

I think the yellow forum? But they said if you're shooting say 650 fps at 80 degrees, at 60 degrees you would be going out at 610.

I doubt it is quite that linear, but that's what they were saying.

BTW got the gun Saturday and will be posting soon................
0 x

Bish1309
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Bish1309 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:44 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:Henry88, that is some serious shooting. Wish I had the time and range to get in a fraction of that.
Looking forward to hearing more about the new gun.

ditto1958 wrote:Do airguns come in 45 acp? :)
Here you go a page full of them.
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Ai ... ibers_0_45

Or maybe you would like to go bigger to .50
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Ai ... libers_0_5

Or you could drop down to 9mm. or .357.
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Ai ... bers_0_357

Some of those look more scary than an FFL required firearm.
0 x
Bish

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:31 am

Hey airgun fans,

Anyway I got the QB78 out this week. It was well packed, no issues.

A lttle bit of a learning curve as you could imagine.

Pretty gun though; I can understand the almost cult following it has accumulated since comming out in the '50s. As far as I can tell, Crosman doesn't make any version of this anymore, so you'll have to buy used or look elsewhere.

I shot the Crosman Premium HP (7.9), the RWS Superdomes (8.3), and the RWS Diablo Basics (7.0) @ about 20 yds.

So, the Crosman Premiums are at the top, 1 through 5

Upper left 1 > great start
Upper middle and right 2/3> got too happy with myself after group 1, sloppy :D
Back to left side 4 > the first shot (9 oclock) felt good, but went way left
5> last Crosman group and partial redemtion.

RWS Superdomes > Usually my favorite pellet, and though they grouped well these were really tight going into the breech.

Group 1 (center of target) > again the first group (like the crosmans) was good, maybe the best group of the day.
Group 2 (left) opening up :(
Group 3 > good save the flyer. BTW the "flyer" was particularly tight going into the breech.

Finally the Diablo basics (lower right) just weren/t as accurate as the other two.

BTW, the scope was the one that came with my Umarex Surge. This scope has over 3.5K springer rounds through it .

The springer died and is on it's way back to Arkansas; the scope still works :D The rings came with the Surge too; never used them but they filled in nicely today.

So what did I learn ? Well it's amazing how well Crosman Premiums HPs shoot in a variety of guns. It seems like darn near everybody says, "they may not be the best in my gun, but they're in my top 3 to 5". They compete against pellets that cost 2x to 3x as much.

Also it seems the RWS Superdomes have a larger diameter than the other two. They sure shoot well out of the surge, and produced the best group of the day, appropriately in the center of the target, but I won't use them in this gun.

BTW, the reason I was moving about the targets out of order was the shade kept moving and I had to follow the targets in the sun. :D

So I guess I should quit at some time. Can you tell I can get excited about airguns? :D
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 am

That's a great report, for the shooting and the rifle.

Not at all surprised by the results with the different pellets. Would have been surprised if what works well in your springer would be the same for the CO2 gun. Two very different systems. In my experience, a firm fit is usually a good thing for a springer, but doesn't always make a difference in a pneumatic.

Crosman Premier Hollow Points have always worked well for me, out to about 35 yards. Beyond that, I get better results with the Premier domed versions when I get a gun that likes the Crosmans. The 1250 count brown box versions work best. Might want to give those a try.

Looks like you got yourself a keeper, for sure. Congrats.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Henry88 wrote:Can you tell I can get excited about airguns?
Yup. And it's easy to see why. Great shooting, Henry88. That's a beautiful gun.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Sweet! Excellent shooting and photos. Love that last shot of the rifle.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:53 am

Sir Henry wrote:Interesting thread. NCG when you say temperature sensitive at what temps can you shoot it?
Hey Guys,

Never saw SirH's question. So I guess Florida is CO2 heaven SirH as the temps remain pretty stable. I have been shooting the last couple of hours @ 72F.

Even in the winter, you're gonna hit the 70's within a few days as most of you guys know :D

BTW I am going to get Archer's Airguns QB78 kit that basically opens the diameter of the orifice from the CO2 tank to the breach, increasing velocity about 50-60 fps and also includes the 3 O rings that seal the bolt.

so far, the gun has been incredible, no problems.

After about 60 shots (they say 50 but it's more than that) you do have to shoot a few at reduced velocity, but that is kind of fun with a scope with graticles.

I don't know how they can sell these for $120, and with Pyramid there was no shipping or tax.

One of the best deals so far I can remember..................
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm

wrong thread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x