Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Airgun

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

New Airgun

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:46 am

Hey Guys,

So my springer bit the dust, broken spring :(

Got it in Feb of last year, so less than a year old. However in less than a year I shot >3.5K rounds through it. That comes out to about 10 shots a day; every day. :)

So off to Arkansas on my dime. Umarex ships back on their dime. Last time I dealt with then they were great, sent me a new one (P-08 Legend) even though it was a few months out of warranty. Got the replacement within a week. I hope it goes as well this time :D

But in the mean time, I was on the Chinese Yellow forum and there were countless posts about the QB78. I had to take a look at this thing if so many people were posting about it. It is based on a Crosman design from the '50's and has been produced by several different manufacturers since.

Currently it's badged by Beeman, made in China. This is the Deluxe model (gold bolt/trigger) and upgraded stock.

Anyway, you put two 12g CO2 cartridges in it, back to back. It pierces both canisters and acts kind of like a PCP. In fact you can actually turn it into a PCP fairly cheaply/easily.

No crazy recoil, any scope will do. No barrel droop............. :D

I'm still getting a Diana 34 though, but in the mean time, I swear I've read so much about this airgun the last couple of nights, I can't wait to start punching holes.

Less than $120 Shipped from Pyramydair.com

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_QB ... Rifle/4120
7 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: New Airgun

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:56 am

Which springer died on you? Wasn't sure from your post.

That does appear to be a LOT of airgun for $120. I like the dual cylinder setup. One of the reviews says up to 80 shots. Dropping in two CO2 cartridges would sure be a lot less work than pumping up a PCP. That pumping is one of the reasons I don't shoot our Benjamin Discovery very often.

Haven't explored CO2 much, due to CO2 being temperature sensitive when things get cold and cold is what we have,up here. :) Would have to be mostly an indoor gun for us. Still, I know what you mean about no worries about recoil and no special techniques needed to shoot pneumatics like this. Was thinking the same thing when shooting our pumpers, last week.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:23 am

Do airguns come in 45 acp? :)
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:14 pm

ditto1958 wrote:Do airguns come in 45 acp? :)
You mean like this? Okay, in 177, not 45 ACP, but a classic airgun designed to look and handle like a 1911.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Henry88,

I've been tempted to get one of those for a long time. I'll be eager to watch your review and thoughts.

NCG, yet another beauty.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Henry88, that is some serious shooting. Wish I had the time and range to get in a fraction of that.
Looking forward to hearing more about the new gun.

ditto1958 wrote:Do airguns come in 45 acp? :)
Here you go a page full of them.
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Ai ... ibers_0_45

Or maybe you would like to go bigger to .50
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Ai ... libers_0_5

Or you could drop down to 9mm. or .357.
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns/Ai ... bers_0_357
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Henry88 wrote:.... I was on the Chinese Yellow forum and there were countless posts about the QB78.
I've had a few of these, and they are great value for money. They usually benefit from a strip and deburr, although most are OK out of the box. Keep a few spare o-rings, and you're good to go.

They are surprisingly accurate, despite the fact that quite a few of the barrels are bored off line. They are easy to work on, and the power is easily increased - especially in .22 flavor, but not so much in .177.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Image
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:51 am

North Country Gal wrote:Which springer died on you? Wasn't sure from your post.

That does appear to be a LOT of airgun for $120. I like the dual cylinder setup. One of the reviews says up to 80 shots. Dropping in two CO2 cartridges would sure be a lot less work than pumping up a PCP. That pumping is one of the reasons I don't shoot our Benjamin Discovery very often.

Haven't explored CO2 much, due to CO2 being temperature sensitive when things get cold and cold is what we have,up here. :) Would have to be mostly an indoor gun for us. Still, I know what you mean about no worries about recoil and no special techniques needed to shoot pneumatics like this. Was thinking the same thing when shooting our pumpers, last week.
NCG it was the Surge, a Diana 34 Chinese clone.

Was 100% happy, then.............what the heck?

The cheap scope actually out lived the gun. I still have the 4x32 Umarex that came with it. I replaced it with a 3X9X40 UTG/Leapers about 2 weeks before it died.

I'm hanging in there with Umarex, after all they own Walther and RWS..................
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:36 am

Should be repairable. After all, springs in spring piston guns are considered a normal replacement item and they're not very expensive. You could do the job yourself, though you'll likely have to make yourself a spring compressor. Lots of designs online. Best of luck.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 am

Interesting thread. NCG when you say temperature sensitive at what temps can you shoot it?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater