Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Silver Streak

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

My Silver Streak

Post by dasmoeturhead » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Benjamin/Sherdian S397 Silver Streak .177 cal
0105171402_HDR.jpg
0105171359_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: My Silver Streak

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Those S guns are also known as 397/392 Nickel models. Wonderful guns. Here's my 1992 397S Nickel, one of the last of the Racine, Wi. made guns. Added a Crosman mount and a 4x airgun scope. Not as nice as yours, but a good shooter. Mine does very well with Crosman Premier pellets. Would love to have the original box and papers like yours, though. Thanks for sharing. How does yours shoot?

The original Silver Streak models were the the Sheridans in 20 cal and prices for those have gone just nuts. Been looking for a Sheridan Silver Streak in 20 to go with my standard Blue Streaks n 20, but just haven't been able to find one, yet, at a reasonable price. In the meantime, have my 397S and my other Blue Streaks to shoot, so I can wait.
1 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I've had it for about 6 years now. This rifle was given to my Dad at his retirement from the county of Humboldt,CA. I inherited it after he passed. I've been shooting it ever since. Its pretty darn accurate, and its a real joy to own. I've been trying to find out recently what year it was made. From what I can decipher I think it was in 1991 or 92. Its made in New York, but the box was stamped as you can see Racine. So it's clear as mud to me. Must have been built in a transitional period. Whenever or wherever its a future family heirloom, but a well used and appreciated heirloom.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:39 am

dasmoeturhead wrote:I've had it for about 6 years now. This rifle was given to my Dad at his retirement from the county of Humboldt,CA. I inherited it after he passed. I've been shooting it ever since. Its pretty darn accurate, and its a real joy to own. I've been trying to find out recently what year it was made. From what I can decipher I think it was in 1991 or 92. Its made in New York, but the box was stamped as you can see Racine. So it's clear as mud to me. Must have been built in a transitional period. Whenever or wherever its a future family heirloom, but a well used and appreciated heirloom.
That's a really fine rifle, and I'm sure it will be treasured for a long time to come.
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 am

Its kind of funny when one of my friends (my gun nut friends anyway) will look at my gun cabinet full of some pretty nice weapons, and they will say; oh wow what's that one? Talking about the S397 Benjamin/Sheridan.
0 x

Bish1309
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Bish1309 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:50 am

That's pretty cool looking.
1 x
Bish

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:13 am

That is a transition gun, then, if it is stamped E. Bloomfield, N.Y. These transition guns lasted until about 1995, but they had a hodgepodge of markings with some changes in features that are almost impossible to pin down. Crosman had just purchased Benjamin in the early 90s and was using old parts from Benjamin, sometimes mixing in some of their own, sometimes not, as old parts inventory would surface. I have a 1995 397PA that is such a gun and it's puzzled some collectors with its stampings.

The good news is that these are still very much Benjamin 397s, not the later, much changed Crosman 397s. Don't let someone talk you out of it or trade it off, because you won't be able to replace it. The current production Crosman 397 is not the same class of gun.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:17 am

Good looking guns. Thks.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 pm

North Country Gal wrote:That is a transition gun, then, if it is stamped E. Bloomfield, N.Y. These transition guns lasted until about 1995, but they had a hodgepodge of markings with some changes in features that are almost impossible to pin down. Crosman had just purchased Benjamin in the early 90s and was using old parts from Benjamin, sometimes mixing in some of their own, sometimes not, as old parts inventory would surface. I have a 1995 397PA that is such a gun and it's puzzled some collectors with its stampings.

The good news is that these are still very much Benjamin 397s, not the later, much changed Crosman 397s. Don't let someone talk you out of it or trade it off, because you won't be able to replace it. The current production Crosman 397 is not the same class of gun.
Thank you for the clarity about this rifle. I've never sold, or traded a weapon that my Dad gave me. Just can't do it. In fact I still have the 1st rifle he ever gave me when I was 11 years old. Its in my cabinet although I did hand it down to my oldest son. All of those rifles have many, many stories, and some of them stories I was part of.
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Les wrote:
dasmoeturhead wrote:I've had it for about 6 years now. This rifle was given to my Dad at his retirement from the county of Humboldt,CA. I inherited it after he passed. I've been shooting it ever since. Its pretty darn accurate, and its a real joy to own. I've been trying to find out recently what year it was made. From what I can decipher I think it was in 1991 or 92. Its made in New York, but the box was stamped as you can see Racine. So it's clear as mud to me. Must have been built in a transitional period. Whenever or wherever its a future family heirloom, but a well used and appreciated heirloom.
That's a really fine rifle, and I'm sure it will be treasured for a long time to come.
Indeed it will. Thx.
0 x