Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Silver Streak

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: My Silver Streak

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:That is a transition gun, then, if it is stamped E. Bloomfield, N.Y. These transition guns lasted until about 1995, but they had a hodgepodge of markings with some changes in features that are almost impossible to pin down. Crosman had just purchased Benjamin in the early 90s and was using old parts from Benjamin, sometimes mixing in some of their own, sometimes not, as old parts inventory would surface. I have a 1995 397PA that is such a gun and it's puzzled some collectors with its stampings.

The good news is that these are still very much Benjamin 397s, not the later, much changed Crosman 397s. Don't let someone talk you out of it or trade it off, because you won't be able to replace it. The current production Crosman 397 is not the same class of gun.
Thank you for the clarity about this rifle. I've never sold, or traded a weapon that my Dad gave me. Just can't do it. In fact I still have the 1st rifle he ever gave me when I was 11 years old. Its in my cabinet although I did hand it down to my oldest son. All of those rifles have many, many stories, and some of them stories I was part of.
Didn't think you would. Just wanted you to know, that sentimental feelings aside, you have a great QUALITY pump gun.
1 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 pm

^^^ thx.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 pm

I bought a Blue Streak .20 with a factory installed Williams F.P. rear site about 36 years ago. I have gone through the first box of 500 pellets so only two more boxes = 1K pellets left. They are first class air rifles , walnut stock and a brass barrel.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 am

This is as close as I get to a Silver Streak. I liked the finish. When it arrived, The wood wasn't right and it looked terrible. I made a journey to the Crosman factory where they replaced it for me, on the spot. Out front, there was an amazing display of their pellet rifles in the lobby. I'm glad I went on that journey.
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:46 am

She's a beauty. How's it shoot?
From what I gathered, mine is Not a silver streak. Its a S397 in .177 caliber made by the Benjamin Sheridan company. Very confusing.
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:56 am

0108171150_HDR.jpg
Here's the info on my rifle
Most habe been a confusing period during the transition period. The box says its a S397. The box has Racine on it.
The rifle says 397P, and made in New York.
0108171149_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 pm

It's your rifle, so you can call it a Silver Streak if you want. :) It's true, though. The label Silver Streak was used for Sheridans or Benjamin-Sheridans in 20 cal.

Yes, as mentioned, that is a transition gun, so I'd let it go at that and just enjoy it. Have had hard core collectors go nuts trying to figure out any consistency as to how guns in this period were marked or any timeline that corresponded to the markings. Crosman hasn't been much help, either.
1 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks for all your help. You seem to know a great deal about these rifles. I'm just really starting out in the research department, and I think I will listen to you. I've seen some of your posts in other forums. Thanks again for your help
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:10 pm

This thread is good reading.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:20 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:Thanks for all your help. You seem to know a great deal about these rifles. I'm just really starting out in the research department, and I think I will listen to you. I've seen some of your posts in other forums. Thanks again for your help
You are very welcome.
0 x