Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A couple from the CMP

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

A couple from the CMP

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 am

I got these from the Civilian Marksmanship Program recently. They are surplus and reconditioned at the CMP. For a hundred each, they are great deals.

0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: A couple from the CMP

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:08 am

Great deal, If my memory serves me right they come with the modified triggers.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:26 am

nice looking but I'm not familiar with those rifles .... details would be appreciated
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:35 am

They are Daisy Avanti 853s. The civilian marksmanship program gets them from shooting programs, refurbishes them and sends a new rear peep for you to install. They are a great bargain. I can't remember about the triggers on mine RSb. I haven't used them in a while.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:41 am

Interesting. But actually a little more detail would be nice. "Daisy" from my very distant childhood says "BB gun." Is that what these are? (Might be a dumb question...) And just a comment on that cool-looking muzzle end. Those almost look they have suppressors on them. What are they?
Comment time, too. The wood on both really look nice, especially the lighter look.

Thanks for sharing.
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Nice Dave. I have one that I bought new from Pyramid and while I love it the trigger needs work. But I used it for practice this winter and think that bad trigger actually helped me to improve when I went to rimfire recently.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:35 pm

The barrels are Lothar walther. The item at the end of the muzzle is a muzzle weight. It only takes one pump. It's .177 cal. It shoots pellets at about 450 fps. The wood looks much better if you re finish it, but I liked them the way they came. They are very accurate. It also comes with some type oof strap, but I haven't been too interested in installing one yet.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:04 pm

I continue to learn new stuff here.

I had not heard the name Lothar Walther before, so I did a net search. Found the web site with this intro:

Simply the best ...
Since 1925, LOTHAR WALTHER has been producing precision button rifled barrels that target shooter, hunters and sportsmen have relied on.
Equipped with the latest technical machinery, LOTHAR WALTHER currently manufactures
button-rifled barrels [from special gun steel and stainless steel, in more than 240 different calibres for target shooting, hunting, muzzle-loading and air guns.
These barrels are made for the whole spectrum of shooting, encompassing shooters with modest requirements right through to those who wish to compete at the highest international level.

W/in this info, more new stuff that I still need to research. Never heard the term "button-rifled barrel" before.
So not only thanks for the new HRF, but all the good and helpful stuff that comes from its members!
0 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Be careful PT7, air guns can be addictive. They are great for inexpensive shooting and for tuning your skills.
Dave's two beauties above are the higher end big brothers of my Daisy power line 953.
But mine is no slouch. I can shoot in my garage at about 27 feet. I wish I could shoot in the backyard but the town I live in restricts shooting anything.

0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Appreciate the warning, Seabee! I know what being addicted means with firearms.

Well, I've never shot an air gun before...have seen them in the shops. Another spot, along with the knife display, to stop by and window-shop at my LGS. ;)

One thing you noted is interesting and appealing -- shooting in the garage. But you must have something in place that "grabs" the pellets so you don't re-decorate the inside garage walls?!? Again, without really knowing what Daytime Dave's rifles were, the blond one sure was very nice-looking.

Thanks again, Guys. This has been an interesting thread for me. I probably would not have ever looked at the HRF "Airguns" forum, if it weren't for your great picture, Daytime Dave. Pictures often do say more than a 1000 words!
0 x

~Пока~