Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Base rings and scope mounting

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Base rings and scope mounting

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:34 pm

I am about to add a scope to my new HW95. I have Sportsmatch two pc. rings and was wondering if I should prep the 11mm dovetail first by cleaning, followed by a bit of gun oil where the lower rings will mount to prevent future rust from forming down the line ? Or will this contribute to movement? I don't recall doing this to my only other scoped rifle, ( Henry 357 ). Just trying to cover every little detail through this process. I have been excited since I got the gun to get it how I need for it to be, but realized quickly that I would need a scope. I ended up with an Athlon Talos 3-12x40, as recommended by Airguns of Arizona.
BTW, I did take a few shots with the open sights, which was fun and with so so results, but got impatient and jumped on the scope train. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Base rings and scope mounting

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:29 pm

I dont think rusting under the ring is an issue. I might wipe it down good but oiling under the rings isnt something I would do before mounting the rings.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:07 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:29 pm
I dont think rusting under the ring is an issue. I might wipe it down good but oiling under the rings isnt something I would do before mounting the rings.
Thank you Al. I will proceed without worry. Going to probably go without any loctite for now as well. Don't want to gunk up the screws unless it becomes necessary later. I do have a Wheeler Fat Wrench for proper torque.
I know, I'm probably displaying a bit of OCD here, but this is my most recent obsession. 🙄😁
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: you are. ;) :lol:
But we still pals.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:41 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:07 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:29 pm
Thank you Al. I will proceed without worry. Going to probably go without any loctite for now as well. Don't want to gunk up the screws unless it becomes necessary later. I do have a Wheeler Fat Wrench for proper torque.
I know, I'm probably displaying a bit of OCD here, but this is my most recent obsession. 🙄😁
Welcome to the OCD club and don’t share the clubs secret handshake.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:59 am

As usual, I agree with Al. Don't oil the rings or scope rail. In fact, make sure you remove oil from the mount and rings, especially the mounting bolts/screws to boot, with a degreaser like alcohol. I typically use blue loctite, BUT, only sparingly, a small drop on threads. A lot of people make the mistake of practically soaking things in loctite.

Make sure you use that scope stop on that rear ring.

On a break barrel, especially, wipe down that barrel after use. Pay particular attention to the upper barrel where you grab it for cocking the gun. In hot weather, you can leave enough sweat on the barrel to rust.The good news, though, is that as long as you keep the barrel clean, you won't rub off any blue by handling.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:49 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:59 am
As usual, I agree with Al. Don't oil the rings or scope rail. In fact, make sure you remove oil from the mount and rings, especially the mounting bolts/screws to boot, with a degreaser like alcohol. I typically use blue loctite, BUT, only sparingly, a small drop on threads. A lot of people make the mistake of practically soaking things in loctite.

Make sure you use that scope stop on that rear ring.

On a break barrel, especially, wipe down that barrel after use. Pay particular attention to the upper barrel where you grab it for cocking the gun. In hot weather, you can leave enough sweat on the barrel to rust.The good news, though, is that as long as you keep the barrel clean, you won't rub off any blue by handling.
Thank you NCG.
I went to the FAQ page on the Sportsmatch website to look for torque specs, ( which I found ) and they also said loctite was not necessary if torqed properly. Thought I might try going without it at first and add later if needed, unless you would advise otherwise. I DO have some blue AND purple though.

I WILL keep the barrel clean. After the few shots I have taken, I wiped it down with a small amount of Ballistol. Almost dry rag, but just enough to remove finger/hand oil.

I also read about installing the stop pin. I won't forget that! 🙂
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:09 am

Oh! Has anyone used a swing out Spirit level on their scope ? or is that total overkill?🤷 🤔
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:55 am

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:09 am
Oh! Has anyone used a swing out Spirit level on their scope ? or is that total overkill?🤷 🤔
If you’re talking about a level to see while shooting that’s pretty much a long range shooting tool.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:58 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:55 am
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:09 am
If you’re talking about a level to see while shooting that’s pretty much a long range shooting tool.
Kinda what I was thinking...thanks Hatch.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry