Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Accuracy testing the Daystate Revere continues.

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Accuracy testing the Daystate Revere continues.

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:41 pm

I've been waiting for the wind to die down to a roar all week to do more shooting with the new Daystate Revere, now that I switched scopes to the Banner 6-18x50 AO. Finally happened, today. Still some wind, enough to wiggle the paper targets from time to time.

Temps in the 30s, so plenty warm enough to shoot. Decided to go with the single shot adapter, today. Figured it would slow me down a bit, loading them one at a time, instead of working the magazine.

Got the scope dialed in close, then decided to start shooting for group size while my hands were still warm. Uh, okay, figured I was off to a good start with this one, my best ever 30 yard group.

Wind started to blow, again, then it would go. After tweaking the adjustments to move groups into the bull, shot a bunch of groups in the .30s.

Then the wind backed off long enough for me to tighten up those groups a bit. Shot a couple more in the .20s before I called it quits.

Have to say I am very pleased with the Daystate Huntsman Revere accuracy potential. Keep in mind that this is not some heavy bench gun. On the contrary, like all Huntsman models, the Revere is designed to be light enough to carry all day while hunting. The gun without the scope only weighs 6 pounds.

Can't wait for warmer weather to start shooting this one at 50 yards.
4 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Accuracy testing the Daystate Revere continues.

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 pm

As always you bring beauty to the range reports. Beautiful rifle, beautiful targets.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 pm

Nice shooting NCG. Sure do love your Daystate that is a very nice rifle.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:39 am

Very accurate rifle and shooter NCG!

I might have some fun one day... I'll shoot one .45-70 round in the bulls eye and then take my air rifle and see if I can shoot those rounds into the hole! :lol:
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:10 am

Very nice rifle and the kind of shooting we are use to seeing from NCG.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:31 am

Very nice. What pellets were you using? I had an older Daystate .177 that I used to shoot at 15 yards in my basement. It was so accurate that it became boring and I sold it. Longer distances and outdoors makes much more sense for these rifles.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the nice comments. The rifle deserves most of the credit, though. Have to say, this Revere is right there with best rifles I've ever owned, either air gun or cartridge gun.

For sure, even 30 yards is really too close to be shooting PCPs of this quality. That's why we're working on expanding our range to include a 50 yard station. Just need to get this snow gone.

John, I've been using the AA 10.3 heavy 177s (these are actually made by JSB for AA, but supposedly to a higher consistency). It's one of the pellets recommended for this gun so I thought I would start with them. My other vintage Daystate thrives on the Beeman Kodiak Match heavies, but those are no longer available (ouch!), so I'm hoping these will do as a substitute. So far, so good.

Most PCPs in 177 in this class tend to shoot the heavier 177s the best because of the velocity with the heavies stays in the optimal 850 to low 900s range. When you push standard diablo pellets any faster, they start to de-stabilize and accuracy suffers. According to tests I've read on other Reveres in 177, I should be getting 920 fps with these heavies. That would make this a just under 20 fpe air rifle, which is significantly more than my most powerful (and hardest kicking) springer.

Most people who go PCP for the sake of hunting ( and this is a hunting PCP), go 22 or even 25 cal. This makes good sense. All the same, this Revere in 177 would make a great small game rifle and that super flat trajectory in 177 would be a big plus for that use.

As for me, no hunting anymore. I bought the Revere for my offhand shooting because of its friendly weight and balance. Now that I've got the accuracy testing done, time to start doing some offhand work.
1 x