Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Major Shift in Shooting

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Major Shift in Shooting

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks. Those little silhouette targets are tough targets, shooting offhand at 30 yards, especially that tiny little chicken. Can hardly even see it at 30 yards without a scope.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:54 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:50 am
Yes, I have the Crosman 2300S and LOVE it. Great gun. It's the best in the entire series of Crosman CO2 target guns. And, yes, the grips are exactly the same on both sides, so you can shoot it with either hand. The other nice thing is that there are aftermarket grips you can buy for these Crosman CO2 target style pistols, since they are so popular.

This S version does have a shroud, too, so it is quieter than many CO2 pistols. Metal receiver, too, so you can mount a scope, no problem. I now shoot with a nice with a 2-7x air rifle scope and shoot it offhand, silhouette style, holding the gun up close to my face.
Can you talk about shooting silhouette style more? I’m not familiar with it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:35 pm

Arizona just called me and said they were out of the 2300S. Back to the drawing board. It sure is getting difficult to spend money.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:42 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 pm
Thanks. Those little silhouette targets are tough targets, shooting offhand at 30 yards, especially that tiny little chicken. Can hardly even see it at 30 yards without a scope.
Yes I have several of those 1/4 inch thick ones for air rifle and .22 plinking...lot's of fun!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:45 pm

I ordered the pistol from Pyramid at about $30 more. It’s out of stock but they were taking back orders. I should have it by the end of the month. Glad it’s a short month. I thought of ordering the 2300T and then changed my mind.

I also purchased some high end pellets. Mostly wadcutters.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:51 pm

2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:50 am

You made some good choices, Gene. That Beeman is a well-known standard in the world of CO2 rifles.

As for wadcutters, keep in mind that these are short range pellets, designed specifically for 10 meter competition. The cut a clean hole which is a plus for scoring. You can use wadcutters out to maybe 20-25 yards or so, but accuracy starts to become an issue at that distance and beyond because they start to destabilize with that flat head. Domed pellets are still the standard for accuracy for distance work.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 am

As for a silhouette hold, it's basically a hold you use on a pistol that places the pistol up close to your face. With this hold you use a riflescope or even a red dot on your handgun, rather than a pistol scope. A riflescope on a handgun held up close to the face is much easier to use and provides a much wider field of view than a pistol scope way out there using a standard extended arms pistol hold.

It originated in the 80s in the sport of handgun silhouette and earned the name Taco hold, because you wrapped you hand around the riflescope somewhat they way you hold a taco. Do a search on taco hold. You'll find plenty of info. Note that not everyone will wrap there hand around a scope, so I use the term silhouette hold for any hold that puts a handgun up close to your face.

Note that in every type of handgun competition there are strict rules as to what constitutes a legal hold with the handgun. For instance, if you showed up at a traditional bullseye match or an Olympic free pistol match and tried a silhouette hold, you'd be immediately shown the door.

In airgun pistol silhouette, for instance, you can use a silhouette type hold, but a true taco hold would be illegal.

"All shots are made from the standing position with the pistol held in one or both of the shooter’s hand(s) with the arm or arms not braced or supported by other parts of the body. Neither the “trigger” hand (or arm) nor any part of the pistol may make contact with the opposite arm at any point at or above the pivot point of the wrist.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:11 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:50 am
You made some good choices, Gene. That Beeman is a well-known standard in the world of CO2 rifles.

As for wadcutters, keep in mind that these are short range pellets, designed specifically for 10 meter competition. The cut a clean hole which is a plus for scoring. You can use wadcutters out to maybe 20-25 yards or so, but accuracy starts to become an issue at that distance and beyond because they start to destabilize with that flat head. Domed pellets are still the standard for accuracy for distance work.
I made the right choice only because it was the only one available. The wadcutters will be used at 10 meters. In a previous range report I noted I measured it out and put a large concrete paver in place to mark the spot.

I ordered the 2300S from pyramid and should have it by the end of February. I’ll use it at 10 meters and most likely the rifle from 20 yards with other pellets. I ordered about $100 of various weights and shapes.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:22 am

Gene, I have one of these and it is a lot of fun. You may want to hunt for one. It's the the Crosman Trapmaster 1100. I only have the gun and the shells. There was a whole kit made with break apart re-usable "clays". It was meant to be used for shotgun practice in your back yard.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/10 ... ster-1100/

http://cinedux.com/crosman-model-1100-t ... hotgun.php
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member