Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Umarex Origin

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Umarex Origin

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:18 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:49 am
Awesome shooting NCG! After reading the whole thread I'm inspired to go to the basement and shoot some targets with air guns.

Gene, the Benjamin Discovery that NCG talks about is not bad to pump up. Moving on to a larger reservoir, that is a workout. Not a bad work out, just a work out. She described it well. I rebuilt my Benjamin pump once. It wasn't difficult, just a bit intimidating until I found a better set of instructions online.
PCP's definitely benefit from a scope. Get one with an AO, it is a worthwhile feature.
I'd say start out with a pump and see how you do with it. Scuba tanks are a good investment if you have a diveshop nearby and shoot a lot. A home high pressure pump is pricey from the airgun companies. I haven't paid enough attention to see how they are working out for folks.
Let us know when you make your order.
I don’t mind spending a few bucks on equipment if I will use it so your advice to buy the gun and wait is a good idea.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Wow we even woke ole Dave up here with this airgun talk. Hey NCG thanks for all of your advice and pictures. Im glad we have you on here to ask questions and consult with on the airguns. They are alot of fun and since I have a neighbor who is into them as well we have the availability to take it out to 50 yards with our yards. Gene as I said before I will be watching this thread and interested to see how it comes out for you. It will be a while for me as we are fixing to head south tomorrow.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:58 pm

You're all very welcome. As you can see, I have a hard time stopping, once I start blabbing about air guns.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:40 pm

I’m going to check with Pyramid as Natchez is out of the Origin. I want to make the purchase in 2020.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:53 am

I’ve been reading the reviews on Pyramid for the Origin. Every review said it was accurate however two things mentioned I didn’t like.

First the pump is only good to 2,000 pounds. I didn’t read a single review saying it reached full pressure with the pump. Most reviews said they should offer it without the pump as they went to tanks. One review said he replaced the pump with a $35 one and it worked fine.

Second the gun was very loud. My neighbors can live with a plink-plink but not a bang-plink. I hear they make a silencer for it.

I haven’t been able to find it in stock anywhere however most are saying it will be in stock in a few weeks.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 am

I’m now looking at this one. It’s a Benjamin Marauder. They make so many models of it I can’t decide which one. One of the things I like about this one is it’s in stock and I can order it today.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... e_Kit/4854
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:25 am

Gene, in air gun world we often call call silencers "moderators". Might help when do a search. The good news is that it is very easy to add a silencer to a PCP rifle and they are also very effective, since there is no spring noise in the action. We bought our Discovery, used, and the former owner had added one. Makes our Disco quieter to shoot than our springers or even our pump ups. Most high end PCPs come with a moderator. You have to add one on most of the entry level guns.

Do take a look at the Discovery or the Maxximus (version with AW stock). These only have 2000 psi reservoirs, so filling our Disco from min to max takes 50 pumps with our Benjamin pump. That much pumping I can handle.

That only gives me 20 good shots, but those are 20 shots that are much quieter than any of our springers (almost spooky quiet), thanks to the moderator and those are also 20 shots that develop more foot pounds of energy than any of our springers. (Ours is a 22, but in 177, you'll get 30 good shots.) The other plus for the Disco is that there are a lot of aftermarket mods you can do. Just installed a trigger kit I got from Baker Air Gun.

The other thing I really like about our Disco (and most PCPs) is that they are much lighter than an equivalent powered spring piston rifle. Even with a scope, our Disco weighs only about 6 pounds. A spring piston piston rifle with that power would weigh 9 pounds or more, without a scope, and be a bear to cock.

Pretty decent shooter, too.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:35 am

Gene, the Marauder (Mrod) runs a 3000 psi reservoir, so you'll have to do about twice the pumping from min to max than the Disco. We have one, but it no longer holds air, so we need to get it repaired. No go for us with a pump, so we fill ours with a scuba tank. Ours is also in 22. We get about 40 shots to a fill, though, compared to 20 for the Disco.

The Mrod has a nicer trigger than the Disco and it is a repeater. Accuracy is on a par with the Disco, which is to say very good. Like the Disco, it's been around for a very long time, so lots of aftermarket parts and mods. Comes with an internal shroud, so quiet right out of the box.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:53 am

Joanie I wouldn’t mind a 22 as the 17 doesn’t have the power to kill larger rabbits. Not that it would be the main purpose.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:23 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:35 am
Gene, the Marauder (Mrod) runs a 3000 psi reservoir, so you'll have to do about twice the pumping from min to max than the Disco. We have one, but it no longer holds air, so we need to get it repaired. No go for us with a pump, so we fill ours with a scuba tank. Ours is also in 22. We get about 40 shots to a fill, though, compared to 20 for the Disco.

The Mrod has a nicer trigger than the Disco and it is a repeater. Accuracy is on a par with the Disco, which is to say very good. Like the Disco, it's been around for a very long time, so lots of aftermarket parts and mods. Comes with an internal shroud, so quiet right out of the box.
I’m thinking of getting the mobile electric pump. Anything I should know about them?
0 x