Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Umarex Origin

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Umarex Origin

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:57 pm

That is some awesome shooting at 50 yards
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:32 pm

Really awesome especially in the wind.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:42 am

That's one of the reasons shooters swith to PCP, a.k.a., the "dark side" and never go back to other types of air guns. Not me, though. I shoot all types of airguns and enjoy them all.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:44 am

NCG do you have any 50 yards targets shot with the HW97 you could post for comparison
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:52 am

Sure do, but first, a little background on shooting air guns at 50 yards for group size with 5 shot groups.

Back when we were building up our airgun collection, I spent one entire summer shooting every type of airgun at 50 yards, meaning classic pump ups, PCPs and, of course, springers. I wanted a baseline of comparison between shooting airguns at 50 yards and 22 rimfire rifles at 50 yards.

What I discovered is as follows.

1) Pumps, PCPs and springers can all shoot under an inch for 5 shots at 50 yards. Some can get down to a half inch or even less. I even managed sub-inch groups with air rifles set up with peep sights and even open sights. Air rifles, then, are capable of shooting groups at 50 yards that compare with groups at 50 yards with a good 22 LR bolt gun.

2) At 50 yards, pellets are much more susceptible to wind and air currents than 22 LR bullets. This is not surprising, given that pellets have a very low B.C., compared to 22 LR bullets. Bottom line is that 22 LR rimfires are the more reliable 50 yard shooters, day in and day out over a wide range of shooting conditions. When conditions are favorable, a good air rifle can indeed compete with a good 22 rimfire. Pick the best days for shooting air rifles at 50.

3) Quality spring piston rifles and PCP rifles can shoot similar size groups at 50 yards, but a good PCP rifle is much more the consistent shooter. You'll go through a LOT more pellets to get those wall hanger groups with a springer. Not something I can count on for every 50 yard session. By contrast, I can count on and get several wall hanger groups every session with a PCP. This is why spring piston rifles need their own division in long range air rifle competition. They cannot compete, directly, with PCP rifles.

4) 50 yard shooting with a springer is not for beginner springer shooters. You must have the skills needed to master springer shooting. PCP rifles, by contrast, can be shot very much like a regular 22 LR rimfire. Still some differences, but no special shooting technique needed. No special scope needed, either. Your regular rimfire scope will work fine on a PCP. For a springer, you will need a springer rated scope.

5) Bottom line with air guns is that the extra 15 yards going from 35 yards to 50 yards is a significant hurdle and challenge. Excellent shooting conditions and top-notch shooting skills are essential. At 30-35 yards, though, air guns are very reliable, day in and day out shooters the same way that rimfires are good day in and day out 50 yard shooters.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:58 am

As promised. We have two 97Ks. One is the standard stock 97K and the other is the blue laminate stock 97K. The blue lam version is a heavier gun, thanks to the more robust stock. The blue is the better bench gun, but too heavy for my preferred offhand work. The standard 97K with scope is just doable for short offhand sessions.

Here are some 97K groups.

2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:25 am

And my best 97K group at 50. May never repeat it, but here it is.

2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:49 am

Awesome shooting NCG! After reading the whole thread I'm inspired to go to the basement and shoot some targets with air guns.

Gene, the Benjamin Discovery that NCG talks about is not bad to pump up. Moving on to a larger reservoir, that is a workout. Not a bad work out, just a work out. She described it well. I rebuilt my Benjamin pump once. It wasn't difficult, just a bit intimidating until I found a better set of instructions online.
PCP's definitely benefit from a scope. Get one with an AO, it is a worthwhile feature.
I'd say start out with a pump and see how you do with it. Scuba tanks are a good investment if you have a diveshop nearby and shoot a lot. A home high pressure pump is pricey from the airgun companies. I haven't paid enough attention to see how they are working out for folks.
Let us know when you make your order.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks, guys.

Again, I do not want to leave the impression that shooting under an inch at 50 yards requires high dollar air guns. It's still the shooter.

Here's one I shot with a Daisy 953, the cheap version of the better known Daisy 853. Cost me all of $80 new. It's basically a 400 fps 10 yard shooter, so you need a perfect day to shoot at 50.

0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:15 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:58 am
Thanks, guys.

.....It's still the shooter.....
Yep. A good gun will not make a bad shooter good but a straight shooting gun will make a good shot better.

I’m amazed at your accuracy Joanie. A good gun doesn’t shoot itself and still needs someone to pull the trigger.

I went online last night to build an online order and Natchez was out. I still have a large order to call in on Monday.

So I’m still in search.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater