Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

FWB Sport spring piston beauty

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

FWB Sport spring piston beauty

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:13 pm

Thought I might share a brand and model airgun not widely known outside of the airgun world with our latest airgun acquisition, namely, the FWB Sport spring piston gun in 177 cal. Here it is and it is a beauty. Just arrived, yesterday, and I wasted no time getting it cleaned and lubed and then out to our backyard range for a first shooting test, today.

First, a word about FWB. FWB stands for Feinwerkbau, a German gun maker in Obendorf, Germany, that is widely known and respected in the air gun world for its superb quality and accuracy, but little seen in the powder gun world, outside of Olympic and biathlon rifles with the FWB label.

FWB has always concentrated on competitive target rifles and pistols and have only produced a few models in their history for general purpose shooting, starting with the original FWB 124 and 127 spring piston rifles in the 70s and now a fancier re-introduction of those sought after vintage break barrel springers in this new FWB Sport.

Historically, FWB wasted no time in moving right into the high end match PCP rifles in the 80s and for many years only produced PCP guns for serious competition (with a serious price tag). In fact, it was quite a surprise when they went retro and introduced a spring piston rifle, again, a few years back.

So much for the history. As a springer lover, I simply couldn't resist, now that the price has come down a bit. I had an 80s vintage FWB 124 in the early 90s that I picked up as a lightly used gun. That was the gun that introduced me to spring piston guns and the gun that taught me the basics of shooting these unique types of air guns. I was forced to sell it to make ends meet, but vowed I would get another, someday.

Fit and finish is typical FWB, which is to say, superb.

As a fan of open sights, one thing I have always admired and appreciated with German airguns is the excellent factory open sights they supply. German air guns, weather HW, RWS or FWB, take open sights, seriously. They make the typical open sight supplied on American guns look like the crude sights they are. All click adjustable with interchangeable blades of different widths.

This is no shrinking violet of a spring piston rifle. It shoots 177 cal pellets at 900 plus fps and has the recoil to let you know it. Fortunately, FWBs have an unusually fast lock time and like all quality German air guns, FWB have superb triggers. That really helps. And, oh yeah, they are accurate. No such thing as a mediocre FWB when it comes to accuracy.

We had a sunny day in the 40s, today, which is a heat wave for us in December. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out and shoot this new gun for a first time till late afternoon. By then, our range was deep in shadows and the lighting was barely doable for shooting iron sights, especially open sights. Nevertheless, I jut had to shoot this beauty.

This FWB will eventually wear a scope, but today I wanted to shoot the FWB just the way it came out of the box with the open sights. All shooting was at 30 yards from what I now call a "bench offhand" shooting position, meaning I sit at the bench, but I do not support the rifle at all, otherwise shooting it as I would from a standing position. Offhand, either standing or sitting is my standard way to shoot spring piston air guns. I find that springers shot offhand are far less fussy about flyers and changes in POI that plague shooters when they shoot springers off a rest.

So here's my first shots, out of the box after cleaning the barrel and lubing the gun, shooting without a rest, using open sights in rather dark conditions. Only did a few clicks in elevation to move the POI, today, but will come back when conditions are better for a fine tune of the sights.

Have to say, I am thrilled with the consistency. New gun and no flyers or annoying changes in POI that sometimes plague spring piston guns. Love shooting this FWB with the open sights so much that I am now in no hurry to scope it.

Fine rifle and a bit unique in its shooting qualities as spring piston rifles go. Great addition to our springer collection or for any lover of spring piston air rifles. Hope you enjoyed another peek into the ever-fascinating world of air guns and air gun shooting.
6 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: FWB Sport spring piston beauty

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Thats some great shooting at 30 yards NCG and thats a nice looking gun. Congrats. Ive been looking over an HW 97. Dont know that I will get one but sure do like them.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:55 am

We have two of those. One 97 is the standard stock and the other 97 is the blue laminate stock, which makes the gun heavier and is also a more robust stock, more comfy for shooting within scope. We also have those beautiful Air Arms under levers, but as beautiful as they are, I still prefer the HW97Ks. I just find the 97s more user friendly to load and operate and every bit as accurate. Have even thought about selling the AAs, but never the HWs.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Nice shooting and a fine looking rifle. You have me thinking again and it aint good.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks, Ernie. The FWB is a fine gun for sure.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Al, speaking of the HW97K, we got out to do some shooting, again, since we have had some unusually nice December weather.

I was shooting the HW97L Blue Laminate, today.

It's my go to springer bench shooter because of its excellent accuracy (and it weighs a ton). This is a group I shot this afternoon which just nudges under half inch for five shots.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Nice shooting and I love the look of that rifle. Thanks for the pic of it also as it answered another question for me. I wondered if you had the moderator on the end of the barrel. I assume you also have that on the other 97. I see we even have Ole Ernie drooling over a pellet gun. I would probably get the regular model if I get one as I would want to shoot it offhand as well.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Go ahead Ernie jump right in there with both feet and getcha one. Man there a blast and its especially nice to be able to walk out the door and shoot some targets
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:45 pm

Ernie, just holler if you need some more enabling, er, help. :)

Al, that's not a moderator on the 97K. It's basically just a shroud and does nothing to quiet the gun. On the other hand, HW does make an actual moderator (silencer) for the 97K for about $100. Just unscrew the shroud and add the moderator. Will cut down the loudness, but with a spring piston gun, you'll still have spring noise, so not as effective as a moderator on a pneumatic gun.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:49 pm

That is expert shooting.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50