Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

One more air rifle, the HW95L

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

One more air rifle, the HW95L

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Here it is only January and we've already blown our shooting budget for the year with this latest air rifle purchase of the Weihrauch HW95L (L for Luxus stock). I don't mind, though, since our air gun shooting is the shooting that is sustaining us through these unusual times. Yup, just step out to the back yard and shoot with no worries about ammo prices or availability or range closures or worries about the folks shooting next to us having Covid.

Scope is the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 EFR

This new air rifle is a bit of a departure for us in that it is our first high end airgun in 20 caliber, instead of the usual 177. I wanted another 20 to shoot, since we always have a good inventory of 20 cal pellets for shooting our vintage Sheridan Bluestreaks.

As for the HW 95 (also seen as the Beeman R9), it is generally regarded by HW fans as one of the workhorses of the HW line of spring piston air rifles. The 95 is a true all around shooter, with enough power for any air rifle application. It has the same power level as the typical under-lever, but in an easier to carry weight and being a break barrel, I do find loading in cold weather to be easier.

And the 95 does shoot ...

With a little work, average group size fro a rest hangs steadily at half inch at 30 yards from a rest, but when I do make the effort, I can squeeze in a smaller group

As always, most of my shooting is without a rest and this scoped HW95 weight is still doable for a good offhand workout. In fact, balance and weight and moderate recoil with the 20 cal pellets makes for an excellent offhand rifle.

7 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: One more air rifle, the HW95L

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:11 pm

Nice job NCG. Im kinda partial to my HW 95 but mine is as you know the field pro. I think I want a PCP rifle but still undecided wonder what Gene has decided to do.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Very nice!
You have definitely captured my interest for all reasons mentioned. Have no idea of cost though. Maybe I'll research Pyramid Air.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Nice gun. I have the HW 95 in .177 and it shoots very well.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the HW95 is a true classic springer. That's one of the reasons I had to add it to our springer collection.

Yes, I am still tempted to invest more in PCPs, mainly in terms of getting a compressor, but these last two springers we've bought, this 95 and the FWB, both shoot so well for me that it's hard to justify spending more money on PCPs to maybe shave a tenth or two off of groups size at 30 yards. The FWB, especially, easily outshoots our Benjamin Disco PCP and is very close to our high grade Daystate PCP.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:14 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:11 pm
Nice job NCG. Im kinda partial to my HW 95 but mine is as you know the field pro. I think I want a PCP rifle but still undecided wonder what Gene has decided to do.
I bought a washer and dryer. :oops:

I measured a shooting distance today and cleaned up a bit. I have so many projects going on I get distracted. Then I see a post like this and drop everything else and go online shopping.

Joanie that is really fantastic shooting!
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks, Gene. As much as I do love shooting, yeah, a washer and dryer would take priority, too.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:20 am

I have yet to build my berm. Every time I get close, another project here pops up. Priorities. I can certainly understand a washer and dryer. Glad you could find one. Took us months to get the gas dryer we ordered in.

Great shooting. I have been thinking of Air Guns. We have a Skunk Problem. Lol.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:46 am

After reading these posts I’m starting to think I’m missing out on some serious fun. I could set up a ranger here at home and save myself the 40+ mile round trip to the range for cartridge shooting. Great just what I need, another expensive hobby. :lol:

Nice shooting!

Thanks for posting the pics.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:07 am

Thanks, again, guys. Just old enabler me doing her thing with these air gun posts. :)

Seriously, though, I am an accuracy and shooting addict and air guns do satisfy my shooting needs. It's just done on a different distance scale, but, make no mistake, some of the most sophisticated (and expensive) guns made are air guns, but, again, you do not have to spend big bucks to get an accurate shooting airgun. Just do your homework as to which type is a good fit for your shooting. A great many shooters have been turning to air guns, this year, but the good news is that the availability of air guns and pellets is still pretty good. Nowhere near the situation with cartridge guns.
1 x