Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Could Have Turned Out Worse

All things reloading here
runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Could Have Turned Out Worse

Post by runnin n gunnin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 pm

We all have our tried and true methods and techniques and work arounds.

I use a Hornady LNL progressive for all of my pistol, of which I shoot a lot, as well as .223. The reason is, I have tendinitis in both thumbs from shooting for 40 years and it reduces redundant movement of having to handle a single cartridge four or five times to hand load it. I normally load 3 to 5 hundred rounds at a time for these calibers.

For my 7mm, .308, 45-70 I use my Redding Turret press as I am only loading 50 rounds at a time.

I know some folks have arthritis or carpal tunnel and have to look for alternate methods.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Overall I have 3 different presses bolted to my reloading bench. I use each one for a different caliber and purpose.

First is my old standby my RCBS Jr. single stage press (bought in '74 or 75) that I used for everything I reloaded then. Today it is for all my high power rifle loads. That includes .223, 308 Win, and 30-06 Sprg. Those are the only high power rounds I load.

Back in the early 80's I added my first progressive press which was an RCBS Green Machine in 38 spl. This was a real Rube Golberg press in that the rounds marched inline shuffling across the press. I needed the production rate of this press because I was shooting revolver matches several times a month and with a young family I just couldn't reload fast enough to keep up with my shooting. Sometime around '97 is wanted to add 45 ACP to that press. When I called RCBS the told me they had discontinued that press and would exchange it out for one of their Ammomaster presses if I paid the shipping. Done deal and that is the press I still use for 9mm, 38/357 and 40 S&W all small primers rounds.

Then in early 2000 I stumbled upon a Hornady Projector progressive press that was the predecessor to the Lock-N-Load. Ran that for several years but it was a tinkers delight. So this time I contacted Hornady and they offered me a trade in deal for a Lock-N-Load. That press is used for my large pistol primer loads in 45 Colt and 45 ACP. Once I got the LNL fine tuned, it's a very reliable press and produces great ammo.

Although I'm now getting old and slow I still shoot in pistol matches (IDPA) at least 4 times a month and at least one 2 gun (pistol & .223) a month. I just like burning up smokeless powder, I think it's addictive.

Paul
1 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 pm

WOW Headhog ! It just goes to show, never throw anything away ! Speaks volumes to RCBS and Hornady for customer care.

Wheel gun competition? Outstanding. I was weaned on a wheel gun early in my career, transitioned to 45acp for 30 years. 4 years ago I was going to crack my shadow box and pull the two model 19s I had mounted. Family said "NO its a family heirloom ! So, I picked up 4 and 6 inch 686's and just added 4 and 6 inch Pythons. I love the discipline of shooting the wheel guns!
1 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 pm

runnin n gunnin wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:31 pm
WOW Headhog ! It just goes to show, never throw anything away ! Speaks volumes to RCBS and Hornady for customer care.

Wheel gun competition? Outstanding. I was weaned on a wheel gun early in my career, transitioned to 45acp for 30 years. 4 years ago I was going to crack my shadow box and pull the two model 19s I had mounted. Family said "NO its a family heirloom ! So, I picked up 4 and 6 inch 686's and just added 4 and 6 inch Pythons. I love the discipline of shooting the wheel guns!
Yes both RCBS and Hornady are great companies. I have confidence in both their products and service.

Can't beat this early model 19's. I have one and it a 2" version I still take out to the range occasionally. Great actions and as accurate as you are.

Paul
0 x

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:46 am

It is quite easy to become distracted when handloading..... phone calls, texts, wives asking for assistance during a reloading session, FEDEX/UPS drivers needing a signature upon delivery, etc, etc. I, like CT_Shooter's above response, use a a single stage press. My wife and son understand not to disturb me during a reloading session.
A few years ago I looked into progressive presses for both metallic case and shotgun hull reloading, but never bought one because I want to control every step in the reloading process such as hand measuring every powder charge. This is not very efficient, but, at the range, I am very comfortable shooting rounds loaded this way.
4 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm

It is quite easy to become distracted when handloading, wives asking for assistance -
YUP ! !
My wife and son understand not to disturb me during a reloading session.
PLEASE SHARE YOUR TRAINING TECHNIQUE ! ! !
0 x

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pitchman1968 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:04 am

They think reloading is a very dangerous process; and if I am disturbed I might blow the house up!
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 am

I'll have to try that !
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Pitchman1968 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:04 am
They think reloading is a very dangerous process; and if I am disturbed I might blow the house up!
Now this fella is thinking! Bravo!
0 x